PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Throw ins, officials, the laws and towels......

We saw exactly were it went out, near the edge of the Dewhurst advert and at the end of one of the cut strips. He actually took it from the end of the cut strip two away from were it should have been. As each strip is around 6 metres that’s around 12 metres.
Sorry, yards not metres!

As with Rugby Touch judges, the linesman should stand at the point the ball went out. As you can't be offside direct from a throw in, the linesman then only has one job to do, which is watch the throwers feet. It couldn't be easier. Persistent encroachment is a yellow card and 2 yellows is obviously a red. It could be eliminated very easily.
But the linesman needs to be in line with the last defender when the throw is taken as a flick on from the attacker could lead to an offside. He can’t simply stand near where the throw should be taken from.

The still that Quest pulled up last night shows Livermore trying to take a quick throw in before giving the ball to Furlong 15 yards down the line - think me and others have mistook this for where the throw-in should have been taken.

However it should have been taken where Furlong received the ball so he was in the right position - however that was outside the box around 20 yards from goal and he's thrown it in from around the 10 yard mark so he's gained at least 10 yards. See the stills below.

E_mdQLwXoAkzoUD

fIKYpTg.png

Because of previous incidents I was watching very closely, there is a water bottle on the ground on the first pic and the ball went out of play more than half way between there and where the player is looking to take the quick throw in.
The second pic shows where the other player actually takes it which is a considerable distance away from where the ball exited play. The player has taken advantage of totally hopeless officials who just turned a blind eye to this blatant cheating.

There is no way he could have got the ball into the danger areas in the box from the original position. If they had moved a free kick that far forwards it wouldn’t have been allowed, neither should it with throw ins.

What really puzzles me is how on the first pic the ref isn’t even looking, he’s moving away from the throw which suggests he’s expecting it before they pinch the yards, that’s a bit worrying.......

What should have been a throw in near the half way line ended up more like a bloody corner to West Brom. The fans were pointing this out to the liner and the ref but neither bloody noticed from ten yards what 11000 fans noticed from about 50 yards. Shocking.

Here's an example from West Brom at Posh three weeks ago... (Peterborough had confiscated towels mid game)

Furlong goes to the away fans, gets a jumper, comes back, drys the ball, takes the jumper back and returns again, then slowly gets set for a long throw.

Ref ended up warning Furlong (no yellow) after a full 40 seconds delay. The throw in was finally taken a full minute after the ball went out of play.

This kind of stuff has to be stopped by EFL.

I was amazed when one of our players (Wickham I think ?) was dragged down on the edge of the box, the linesman was flagging for what seemed like an eternity yet the referee simply wasn't even looking at him. It took all of the players to appeal for him to actually look at his colleague's decision.

The referee was off the pace from the first whistle and was being an arse for the kick off for the second half as well, taking an age to blow when players from both teams just wanted to get going, then pulling it back because they'd already started running.

He was just one of those officials who thinks the supporters have come to watch him.

He was just one of those officials who thinks the supporters have come to watch him.

Summed up brilliantly. Did any of the Brit refs watch the Euros FFS? You didn't notice any of the refs because they were so great, so commanding and so correct most of the time.

The turning your head away and missing stuff is a sign that a ref is nervous. They are trying to let stuff go unnoticed in an effort not to have to have that confrontation. Like the shit supply teacher who pretends he hasn't heard stuff in class, it's a coping mechanism for his realised inadequacy. Shite

I really don’t get why he needed a towel. The ground wasn’t even wet so the ball would’ve been fine. Surely could’ve used his shirt like our players were doing.

I really don’t get why he needed a towel. The ground wasn’t even wet so the ball would’ve been fine. Surely could’ve used his shirt like our players were doing.

I bet you frankie and Riddler have given a ball boy the job of towel collection all game next game if anyone tried it again. Ridiculous. Also, time wasting.

Christ, I am becoming Frank Lampard. 🤣

It’s high time hairdryers (connected to the mains of course) were placed at 10yd intervals around the pitch perimeter by all EFL and Premier League Clubs. This would prevent any repetition of “Towelgate” seen yesterday at Deepdale, and ensure all footballs are well and truly dry before those troubled professional footballers have to take a throw in. 🤪

Maybe he’s one of those people with perpetually sweaty hands. Manus clammius.