PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Case for Joe Rafferty

ElDiablo

Bench Warmer
Having watched the post match interview with JR yesterday, it sounds like it has lit a fire underneath him after not being picked in Frankie's 25...yet.

Depending on what happens with LL after his knee injury, I would rather have JR put into that last spot than Paul Huntington.

Seemed to very much enjoy the Wing Back role in the Back 5 and despite the game being against Cheltenham, a goal and an assist will do his confidence a world of good.

Maybe it's a case of Heart over Head.

Unfortunately, as much as I like the guy, think he’s too limited to play wing back in the championship. Too limited to play any role really

There isn’t much of a case to put him imho. Not just because I don’t think he’s Championship standard, but because I don’t think he’d be used at all.

He hasn’t been able to get on the pitch in the Championship despite Olosunde and Barkhuizen being unavailable. Those two, plus Browne who can play RWB, are now closing in on a return. He isn’t going to get a kick ahead of all of those guys plus Sepp. And he won’t be playing on the left anymore either because we have options on that side now too.

If Lindsay is out for a while then the last slot simply has to go to Huntington to act as cover for Bauer imho.

If Lindsay is out long term we will be using that spare spot in the 25 for a centreback. We have adequate cover at both full back positions.

If you tested Rafferty's DNA it would have a pair of league one chromosomes.

Nothing against the guy. He always tries his best. But he's simply not good enough.

He would not get into any other Championship side. Hopefully he'll get a loan out in January.

I'd be tempted to register him over Olosunde. Let the latter spend half the session getting fit and match ready in central league fixtures. Sepp is ahead of him anyway and Raff and Barky are adequate cover.

No sense rushing Olosunde in and risking injury.

The recency bias is so strong here.

Has one good game against Cheltenham's reserves and suddenly we start forgetting 3 season's worth of ineptitude at this level.

Just pleased that he was able to put in a good performance that might help him get a move and some regular football in January

I'd be tempted to register him over Olosunde. Let the latter spend half the session getting fit and match ready in central league fixtures. Sepp is ahead of him anyway and Raff and Barky are adequate cover.

Please don't let a decent performance against a league one side sway you.

Rafferty is a good lad and he works hard.

Saldy though he isn't good enough at championship level, we have SVB, Barky and last resort Browne who can play on that side.

Assuming the invisible man that is Olosunde will be playing after the international break there would be no point.

Easier Question, then.

1 spot to fill in the 25. Do you pick Rafferty or Huntington?

I'll start.

Rafferty.

Olosunde is already in the 25.

He can't be swapped out until January.

The guy is slower than Lindsay. Move Sepp into CB if needs be.

He always has been though.

It wasnt like he had pace when he was one of the best defenders in the league in the 17/18 season.

Dont think any of Sepp, Storey or Hughes could play the central defensive role that Bauer occupies.

In your mind, why do we need Rafferty when we have so much cover in the one position he can play?

Rafferty is not a good enough footballer at Championship level. If Lindsay is injured, imperative we bring in another CB, or register Hunts for me- even including Sepp, there's only 4 players covering 3 positions right now.

In your mind, why do we need Rafferty when we have so much cover in the one position he can play?

At RWB we've got; Sepp, Olosunde, Browne and Barky who can play there with Rafferty unregistered.

Sepp is clearly #1 - the guy is immense.
Olosunde hasn't kicked a ball yet and is a complete unknown in the team.
Browne has said multiple times that he doesn't want to play at RWB. Personally I'd have him in rotation with DJ at CAM when available.
Barky seems to have been used as a Striker more than a RWB and, like Browne, wants to play further forward.

Therefore for me, JR is the tried and tested cover until at least January where we can ship out if needed and if he has the opportunity to play more First Team football elsewhere.

He always has been though.

It wasnt like he had pace when he was one of the best defenders in the league in the 17/18 season.

Dont think any of Sepp, Storey or Hughes could play the central defensive role that Bauer occupies.

I can see why really. He can cover both sides, and play RWB ok and lets face it that might mean the odd game here or there (which is all Lindsay would have played) I doubt anyone is asking for him to be used ahead of the others if they're fit.

But Barkhuizen hasn't been seen for 10 games now, Browne clearly has a problem (2 minor sub appearances in the last 7 games) and shouldn't really be used at RWB and VDB might need to move to CB if one of the usual back 3 are out.

Olosunde, who knows but he barely finished a game for Rotherham last season and has been out for 10 weeks after "a kick".

Or register Hunts who has been a great servant over the years but has had virtually no pre season, didn't play in a single friendly, wasn't involved last night and had only managed 1 reserve game since playing 2 games back in March.