PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Birmingham City V PNE - 25/09/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Don't understand this attitude at all.

Football is about entertainment and winning things. We are in the last 16 of a cup competition, with a small hope of getting into a quarter final for the first time in most fans entire lives. This is a positive thing. Something that matters.

Statistically too this "distraction" you speak about with cup ties versus big Prem teams makes very little sense.

In 2019/20 leading up to the Man City game we W6 D2 L2 and after the 3-0 cup defeat we W4 D3 L1. No distraction before or after.

In 2014/15 we played Sheff Utd in the cup replay. Our form leading into that game was W0 D4 L3. But we beat Sheff Utd, pulled Man Utd in the next round and our league form was W12 D6 L1. No distraction whatsoever.

Football shouldn't be about chugging through League fixtures, hitting long balls playing the percentages, hoping to amass enough points to stay up. Whilst fielding weak teams in the cups so you go out as fast as possible.

All that is the actual distraction from what I suggested football should be about. Entertainment and winning things.
I agree! Someone saying it's a "distraction" just seems to be a modern day jump on the bandwagon type of thinking to me. Its almost like an "in" thing to say without really thinking about it properly at all

for me Liverpool is a distraction we dont need right now, good for cash coming in , but imho nothing else

The most important match ever in the whole great saga of Preston North End is the one we are playing at the time or if we are between matches the next one we are due to play because that is the only one in which we can shape both the past and future of this club. When it arrives the match against Liverpool will be that match but before then a number of other matches will enjoy that status.

I agree! Someone saying it's a "distraction" just seems to be a modern day jump on the bandwagon type of thinking to me. Its almost like an "in" thing to say without really thinking about it properly at all
Oh I thought about it , and that was my conclusion.
Possible injuries , cards , tired legs , for me it’s about the league , simple as that

Oh I thought about it , and that was my conclusion.
Possible injuries , cards , tired legs , for me it’s about the league , simple as that
I get what your saying bud but injuries an cards can happen in any league game too. Yeah, the plastic fans will be out in force on the night which is annoying but to see a packed Deepdale under the lights will provide a great atmosphere. Just hope we're not on the wrong side of a tonking!

I get what your saying bud but injuries an cards can happen in any league game too. Yeah, the plastic fans will be out in force on the night which is annoying but to see a packed Deepdale under the lights will provide a great atmosphere. Just hope we're not on the wrong side of a tonking!
League cup yellows don't even count towards the league card count. Injuries can happen in training, never mind cup games.

Bodin and Harrop both suffered long term injuries from the training ground. A guy like Wickham could get injured putting on his boots in the morning.

At least with cup games we can offer some of our fringe players some competitive game action and get their match fitness levels up.

The other vital thing is how cup wins can enhance form and confidence. Having Riis score 4 goals in the cup, can only be a good thing for him mentally and for his future transfer value.

I'd argue this season's cup run is a key reason why our league form has been ok. The cup run and 11 goals has also offered the fans some entertainment too. Never a bad thing.

Riis is no slouch either! I just wish he'd sort these 1 on 1 chances out, everything else about his game is coming along together nicely
He got one one-on-one chance yesterday and hit the target, the keeper saved well.

What more should he do? Put away every chance he gets, because he'll only be getting one per game?

Those sorts of strikers cost a lot more money than the club is willing to spend.

If we won't spend money on better strikers, we need to create a lot more chances than we did yesterday.

He got one one-on-one chance yesterday and hit the target, the keeper saved well.

What more should he do? Put away every chance he gets, because he'll only be getting one per game?
I'd agree with that. It's not like it was a bad finish, or off target. And to be fair to Riis he's consistent in that regard. He's had 20 shots on goal this season. And put 13 on target. Maguire has had 10 shots on goal. Only put 3 on target. (Note: those stats don't include blocked shots)

I think you’ve done us a slight injustice there. Taking the league table into account after 9 games isn’t really a good indicator IMO because one win can take you up about 5 places.

Two wins in 11 admittidedly wouldn’t be great but hasn’t happened yet.

The team has evolved considerably and Frankie has made mistakes but he is hopefully learning from them on the job. Since the change in personnel and system IMO with the wing backs bombing forward we’ve been quite good to watch. I personally feel a reason to be encouraged that we can have a good season!
Agree with the first bit to a degree, can only really paint a real picture after November internationals as by that point we'll have played 17 games and if you're not good at that point, you'll more than likely be bottom six by rights. Currently just 4 points separate 7th and 19th, so like you say - too early to really make judgements at this early stage, unless you're a Hull and in a tangle.

I genuinely think these next 5 games are so crucial. Draws have got to be converted to wins and the introduction of McCann for Whiteman/Ledson will hopefully mean a bit more creativity and control of games in midfield but I still worry about where goals are coming from. 17 league games under Frankie - just 19 goals.

I'm cautiously optimistic about where we are heading but it's a results business at the end of the day and they've got to start coming. Last season under AN there was a lot of highs and lows with winning and losing, under Frankie everyone's quite steady because we're not doing either on this run.

After 9 games vs last season we're on exactly the same points but the feeling was different as we'd lost 5 of those opening 9 games so emotionally we were a bit bruised, despite arguably a harder opening set of fixtures (Norwich had just been relegated and Brentford, Cardiff and Swansea had all been beaten in the play offs)

I think we've enough about us to avoid the drop as think there's at least three sides worse than us and think we'll probably finish about where we are now under Frankie. Talk of us finishing top half is wide of the mark in my eyes from what I've seen so far as I just don't see us at that level

Those sorts of strikers cost a lot more money than the club is willing to spend.

If we won't spend money on better strikers, we need to create a lot more chances than we did yesterday.
Wouldn't disagree with that, I just think if there is a slight weakness to his game then this is it. The thunderous strikes we've seen where he doesn't think an just smashes it have given the keeper no chance at all. I'm 100% sure he'll improve with the ruthlessness which could be a vital key in tight games such as yesterday

I'd agree with that. It's not like it was a bad finish, or off target. And to be fair to Riis he's consistent in that regard. He's had 20 shots on goal this season. And put 13 on target. Maguire has had 10 shots on goal. Only put 3 on target. (Note: those stats don't include blocked shots)
Through the wonders of modern technology I’ve had the opposition commentary on i player for the last 3 away games.
I have to say that all 3 commentary teams have been more than impressed with the Riis/Maguire partnership.
Just taking yesterday as an example, I think the Riis & Maguire partnership looked on a different level to the Deeney/Hogan one and I certainly wouldn’t swap it….loads of potential.

Through the wonders of modern technology I’ve had the opposition commentary on i player for the last 3 away games.
I have to say that all 3 commentary teams have been more than impressed with the Riis/Maguire partnership.
Just taking yesterday as an example, I think the Riis & Maguire partnership looked on a different level to the Deeney/Hogan one and I certainly wouldn’t swap it….loads of potential.

Good to hear that.

Funny isn’t it though that some people seem so blind to the obvious. Riis has all the attributes and potential to ultimately play at the top level and is a fantastic striker for us. Maguire does so much great work for the team pressing, winning the ball in good areas, linking play and creating openings.

Together they’re a real threat and will only get better imho.

Riis is no slouch either! I just wish he'd sort these 1 on 1 chances out, everything else about his game is coming along together nicely

Riis' approach to any sight of goal is to hit the ball as hard as he can - he just isn't the sort of striker who will cleverly dink a ball over an advancing keeper.

He's still learning an for me has to keep starting games

Absolutely - he is still way short of the player he has the potential to become. But I still think that if we are going to start scoring more we need to partner Riis for extended periods with our best finisher who is Sinclair.

Re the commentary I do the same and for once, thought the local commentators
We're very fair, its all very well, them lavishing praise on our front two, they do not have to watch them every week!! Riis is a real handful for sure, Maguire is an intelligent player who holds the ball up well and creates space, BUT he is playing as a striker and he could not hit a barn door with a banjo! I am sorry but his attempts on goal in general are very poor and we need better !!!

Maguire is playing well on the whole but just seems to shrink when he has a chance on goal. It can only be psychological because plenty of times the issues can't be physical, he just seems so slow to get his brain and feet linked up.

If ever anyone needed a goal it's him. Once he gets one then I reckon hed get more, maybe 7-8 over the season which would be fine for a second striker especially when you offer a fair bit besides.

Finally got round to watching the highlights and fucking hell that Iversen save has been massively overhyped haha. It’s straight at him and he nearly dives past it!

Maguire is playing well on the whole but just seems to shrink when he has a chance on goal. It can only be psychological because plenty of times the issues can't be physical, he just seems so slow to get his brain and feet linked up.

If ever anyone needed a goal it's him. Once he gets one then I reckon hed get more, maybe 7-8 over the season which would be fine for a second striker especially when you offer a fair bit besides.

He literally scored one in his previous match. Put the amateur shrink books down, he's just not capable of getting in great positions much these days, so his opportunities on goal are limited.

Don't understand this attitude at all.

Football is about entertainment and winning things. We are in the last 16 of a cup competition, with a small hope of getting into a quarter final for the first time in most fans entire lives. This is a positive thing. Something that matters.

Statistically too this "distraction" you speak about with cup ties versus big Prem teams makes very little sense.

In 2019/20 leading up to the Man City game we W6 D2 L2 and after the 3-0 cup defeat we W4 D3 L1. No distraction before or after.

In 2014/15 we played Sheff Utd in the cup replay. Our form leading into that game was W0 D4 L3. But we beat Sheff Utd, pulled Man Utd in the next round and our league form was W12 D6 L1. No distraction whatsoever.

Football shouldn't be about chugging through League fixtures, hitting long balls playing the percentages, hoping to amass enough points to stay up. Whilst fielding weak teams in the cups so you go out as fast as possible.

All that is the actual distraction from what I suggested football should be about. Entertainment and winning things.
Absolutely! FWIW though, to be playing Liverpool is a highlight in itself, if you're a true football aficionado that is. I can't wait, bring it on......glide in the stride, pep in the step.......