PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

We were sniffing around Europe a bit at that point, Ferdy Drijuf kept coming up as a link.

I'm not sure we'd still be able to get Riis under the Brexit Work Permit rules though...
Ferdy Driujf! Yeah, that name was mentioned a lot at the time, good shout.

I keep seeing the new Brexit rules mentioned and thinking the same but then I see other clubs signing players from the continent no problem.

Joel Piroe looks an inspired buy at Swansea, £1m possibly rising to £2m. Cracking age with national side youth pedigree and has already hit the ground running.

We were sniffing around Europe a bit at that point, Ferdy Drijuf kept coming up as a link.

I'm not sure we'd still be able to get Riis under the Brexit Work Permit rules though...
Yep, Brexit has made it more difficult (there's certainly no hope of tapping into "essentially virgin EFL scouted territory"), but Barnsley are still looking and finding players.

The Brexit rules mean the player must already be playing at a higher level than was the case pre-Brexit, which inevitably shrinks the pool and pushes up the price, a market situation we never fare well in.

Ferdy Driujf! Yeah, that name was mentioned a lot at the time, good shout.

I keep seeing the new Brexit rules mentioned and thinking the same but then I see other clubs signing players from the continent no problem.

Joel Piroe looks an inspired buy at Swansea, £1m possibly rising to £2m. Cracking age with national side youth pedigree and has already hit the ground running.

Yeah, Piroe came from the Eredivise- the quality of the league is one of the things taken into consideration, as is how much they played.

Its more the issue that the Danish league might be considered significantly lower standards, though I don't know all the details.

Yeah, Piroe came from the Eredivise- the quality of the league is one of the things taken into consideration, as is how much they played.

Its more the issue that the Danish league might be considered significantly lower standards, though I don't know all the details.
The Danish top flight is a Band 4 league - even a player who played in every game at a Band 4 club would not have enough GBE points to be eligible for a transfer on that basis alone, so they'd need to find points from elsewhere too (e.g. appearances in European competitions, internationals, etc.).

The Eredivisie is Band 2 - it's easier to sign players from there.

The Danish top flight is a Band 4 league - even a player who played in every game at a Band 4 club would not have enough GBE points to be eligible for a transfer on that basis alone, so they'd need to find points from elsewhere too (e.g. appearances in European competitions, internationals, etc.).

The Eredivisie is Band 2 - it's easier to sign players from there.

I see Randers were playing in Europe last week in the new Europa Conference League. Makes the whole thing very complicated, and unless you can be sure the player will be eligible to sign I suspect you'd look elsewhere.

I see Randers were playing in Europe last week in the new Europa Conference League. Makes the whole thing very complicated, and unless you can be sure the player will be eligible to sign I suspect you'd look elsewhere.
A player needs to accumulate 15 points on the new system. As Denmark is now a Band 4 league (previously was Band 5) Riis would receive 6 points for that and potentially a further 6 points for playing a large percentage of games for Randers.

I'm not exactly sure, but I assume he'd then surpass the 15 points limit based on his u-21 apps for the Danish national team. There are also points available for qualifying for European club competitions.

I think signing u-21s who play for their national sides in decent European leagues shouldn't be a huge problem. But, they are obviously the type of player that will be in high demand.

Premiership teams can no longer sign u-18s so Sepp wouldn't have been able to join Liverpool if these new rules had been active. Prem teams are also now limited how many foreign youngsters they can sign in any one season.

One grey area I don't know is what happens should we want to extend Riis' deal. Cos as far as I know, to extend it we would need to apply for a new work permit to cover the extra period.

But, if for example in two years time he is no longer eligible to play for the Danish u-21s but isn't being selected for the senior national side... Will we be able to get a work permit for him?

You can appeal if you don't accumulate 15 points and maybe if he's banged in 20 goals a season they will take that into account. No idea.

A player needs to accumulate 15 points on the new system. As Denmark is now a Band 4 league (previously was Band 5) Riis would receive 6 points for that and potentially a further 6 points for playing a large percentage of games for Randers.

I'm not exactly sure, but I assume he'd then surpass the 15 points limit based on his u-21 apps for the Danish national team. There are also points available for qualifying for European club competitions.

I think signing u-21s who play for their national sides in decent European leagues shouldn't be a huge problem. But, they are obviously the type of player that will be in high demand.

Premiership teams can no longer sign u-18s so Sepp wouldn't have been able to join Liverpool if these new rules had been active. Prem teams are also now limited how many foreign youngsters they can sign in any one season.

One grey area I don't know is what happens should we want to extend Riis' deal. Cos as far as I know, to extend it we would need to apply for a new work permit to cover the extra period.

But, if for example in two years time he is no longer eligible to play for the Danish u-21s but isn't being selected for the senior national side... Will we be able to get a work permit for him?

You can appeal if you don't accumulate 15 points and maybe if he's banged in 20 goals a season they will take that into account. No idea.
I think it then becomes based upon the % of games he has played for us in order to obtain a new WP.

I think it then becomes based upon the % of games he has played for us in order to obtain a new WP.
Yeah I've been looking into it. The championship is actually a Band 2 league which as far as I know means if he plays 50%+ of games he should accrue the 15 points easily enough to qualify for a renewal of his work permit.

He'd get 10 pts for playing for a championship club and a further 6pts for playing 50% of games. (If he plays 90% plus he would get 10pts)

What a strike that would’ve been last night that he hit from the corner of the box on the invincibles side 2nd half. Need to watch the replay to see how far off it was.

What a strike that would’ve been last night that he hit from the corner of the box on the invincibles side 2nd half. Need to watch the replay to see how far off it was.
I actually laughed when he struck that. Think it was just a reflex reaction for such an audacious shot 😂

I think a foot or so lower and their keeper would have been in trouble. I'd like to see him have a go from distance more with the power he has.

George Hodgson asked SkyBet for odds on him for top scorer and they’ve added him to the market at 150/1. It’s very unlikely but that is pretty insane value for a striker who will start most weeks and already has 1 in 1 in the league. Put £5 on.
Did this E/W, still looks insane value. Still 100/1 even now.

Love this bloke - bit of a rough diamond and can/will improve. Needs more support from midfield and for the love of God, take him off throw ins!
Didn't we win the corner that Bauer scored from, off one of his long throws? I personally like the long throws

Even if we don't win the header it causes problems. And Riis can often end up receiving the ball back out wide, and he is actually decent at crossing.

The other thing is we are bloody terrible at short throws in terms of retaining possession so we may as well chuck it long.

Didn't we win the corner that Bauer scored from, off one of his long throws? I personally like the long throws

Even if we don't win the header it causes problems. And Riis can often end up receiving the ball back out wide, and he is actually decent at crossing.

The other thing is we are bloody terrible at short throws in terms of retaining possession so we may as well chuck it long.
The long throws are a damn sight better than the previous backwards throw ins followed by backwards passes that usually ended up with our goalkeeper, and Riis doesn't really need to be in the box for them anyway because he isn't a big aerial threat, so it makes sense for him to take them.

It would be good if we had someone on the near post more capable of winning the flick ons though. Storey won none of them tonight. Might be a job for Bauer.

I can't remember but overall, I think he's been pretty wasted there as usually we've not had much attacking threat apart from him - think he should be in the box as he can certainly finish albeit usually the more difficult chances!