PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

UK Energy Crisis

A logical idea would be to insist that new homes have solar panels/other renewable provision as standard (or mandatory levy to support a fund to research or install renewables) but I imagine the cosy relationship most chief execs will have with politicians puts paid to that idea.

A logical idea would be to insist that new homes have solar panels/other renewable provision as standard (or mandatory levy to support a fund to research or install renewables) but I imagine the cosy relationship most chief execs will have with politicians puts paid to that idea.
See lots of new builds with solar panels now. Nowhere near enough, but definitely a common sight.

https://daily.energybulletin.org/2021/10/exclusive-gas-crisis-helps-to-land-bp-500-million-windfall/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=exclusive-gas-crisis-helps-to-land-bp-500-million-windfall

Gas crisis helps to land BP $500 million windfall​

Posted On : 27 Oct 2021 Published By : Tom Whipple

BP’s trading team made at least $500 million in the third quarter of 2021, two sources with knowledge of the company’s trading results said, as the energy major benefitted from a gas crisis that has left consumers and industries smarting. Natural gas and power prices soared to an all-time high in Europe and parts of Asia in August as the global economy recovered from the pandemic and energy consumption increased faster than supplies. Low gas stocks after a cold winter and hot summer as well as poor renewables output contributed to the rally. The increase in power bills sparked protests in Spain and put European governments under pressure to find ways to protect consumers and industry and calm the markets. European Union countries failed to agree on a bloc-wide response on Tuesday. read more In China, the government has taken measures to increase coal […]

https://daily.energybulletin.org/2021/10/exclusive-gas-crisis-helps-to-land-bp-500-million-windfall/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=exclusive-gas-crisis-helps-to-land-bp-500-million-windfall

Gas crisis helps to land BP $500 million windfall​

Posted On : 27 Oct 2021 Published By : Tom Whipple

BP’s trading team made at least $500 million in the third quarter of 2021, two sources with knowledge of the company’s trading results said, as the energy major benefitted from a gas crisis that has left consumers and industries smarting. Natural gas and power prices soared to an all-time high in Europe and parts of Asia in August as the global economy recovered from the pandemic and energy consumption increased faster than supplies. Low gas stocks after a cold winter and hot summer as well as poor renewables output contributed to the rally. The increase in power bills sparked protests in Spain and put European governments under pressure to find ways to protect consumers and industry and calm the markets. European Union countries failed to agree on a bloc-wide response on Tuesday. read more In China, the government has taken measures to increase coal […]

Maybe these guys have sometimes got a point we could learn from in terms of remedying greed. Trouble is old Etonian business CEOs would pay good money to be imprisoned in a 5 star hotel and thrashed to submission.

Bulb look set to be next, 7th biggest supplier I think by customer base. A few more weeks and we might be nationalised again

Bulb look set to be next, 7th biggest supplier I think by customer base. A few more weeks and we might be nationalised again
I moved onto a 2 year deal with sainsbury energy just as this was all beginning. Their cheapest deal is now twice the price of what I'm paying. Its basically eon next so I'm hoping they can ride this out

I'm all happily snuggled in now with British Gas, following my brief sojourn with various one-man band gas suppliers.

Was fun while it lasted.

Another 4(some exceptionally small ones I’m amazed have lasted this long frankly). Wonder how many suppliers will make it through eventually and would anyone actually consider in future starting up as a supplier on the back of what they’ve seen

19 have gone bust in the last few months, but some of them were unbelievably small, no idea how they were ever viable in the first place. I reckon many were on rocky ground already. Speculators, not real businesses.

There's still dozens more and I suspect most will go, in line with worst case predictions of only 10 left.

1635928305561.png

Still limping along, but people seem to think it'll be gone within a week or two.
I have over £600 credit now, built up to see me through the winter. Hopefully no hiccups in transferring that across if/when it goes.

Wholesale gas prices have come down from their peak. But as they were below 40p in March, still massively increased - they probably need to drop a lot further to offer any chance of salvation.
1635932591710.png

I have over £600 credit now, built up to see me through the winter. Hopefully no hiccups in transferring that across if/when it goes.

Wholesale gas prices have come down from their peak. But as they were below 40p in March, still massively increased - they probably need to drop a lot further to offer any chance of salvation.
View attachment 5122

£600 is a big chunk to build up. You'll get it back though, it's government / regulator-backed.