PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

So 60 years on?

We also scored half as many goals as Newcastle, easily the lowest scorers in the league.

Even back then, we were missing that elusive 30-goal-a-season striker.
Well, we certainly missed Tom Finney, who ended the previous season leading scorer on 17 in 37 games (out of a total of 79) - at the age of 38!

Ridsdale's new argument seems to be, because we've not been up there for 60 years, we have no history of being up there, so we should stop expecting it to happen, and get fully behind his mid-table mediocrity project instead.

Meanwhile, here's a few records we currently hold:

Longest absence from the top flight for a current league club
Biggest club never to have played in the Premier League, according to HITC
Least likely Championship club to "do a Brentford", according to Football365
I quite like that one - biggest club to never have been in the PL ! 😂

The one and only North End.
Interestingly, as per the article linked by @Thracia in post #16:

"Glossop North End finished bottom of the old First Division in 1899/1900 and have not made it back to the top tier since.

That means that they’ve now spent 117(now 121) years outside of the top division of English football - longer than any club still in existence."

Maybe something in the name?

Indeed, Northampton's rise and fall was spectacular. Successive promotions up to the top tier then back down to the fourh division almost as quickly
We played them very early in the season that followed their relegation from the top flight.
Think they took the lead early on in the game but we came back to win 2-1.
Got relegated again that season.

We're also the only founder member of the league still a league club never to have played in the Premier League. As mentioned elsewhere, even Notts County have been in the top league more recently than us, and just missed out on the inaugural Premier League by relegation.

The new established boys seem to
be:- Watford - (just how much of The Rocketman's dosh has gone-in, + it's some French people now, isn't it? &
Brighton & Hove Albion - ( & who backs them since the Goldstone Ground bit the dust.
Others to come to mind that have come & gone - Luton, Barnsley, (Jimmy Hill's) Coventry City....
Charlton....
( I ain't bothered with a comprehensive list, it's more of a case of asking the Chairman to get his finger out regarding Youth, Recruitment & Retention. Retention
rather than being THAT much of a Selling Club. The Brentford 'model'
could do with some serious business investigation by us. I

We also scored half as many goals as Newcastle, easily the lowest scorers in the league.

Even back then, we were missing that elusive 30-goal-a-season striker.
Did we want a £10 striker or a new bog in the dressing room . Fans expected to much even then 😰

Did we want a £10 striker or a new bog in the dressing room . Fans expected to much even then 😰

Certainly needed new bogs for the old pavilion paddock, just a couple of sheets of corrugated iron fastened to the wall,
got that packed at half time they just pissed against against the wall in open view to all and sundry.
Mind, it was like that all over the place in Belgium. :)

So this current situation is all your fault 😂😂
Yep, I hold my hand up, thought we would win promotion the following season with Bobby Charlton as player manager after coming out of retirement.
We started well but fell away at the end of the season, Charlton then fell out with the Directors over the sale of John Bird to Newcastle, with Alex Bruce returning to Deepdale as part of the deal.
Had to wait until Nobby Stiles took us back up in 1977/78 and fantastic celebrations on the flag market. 😀👍

Certainly needed new bogs for the old pavilion paddock, just a couple of sheets of corrugated iron fastened to the wall,
got that packed at half time they just pissed against against the wall in open view to all and sundry.
Mind, it was like that all over the place in Belgium. :)
Yeh the good old days 😱😜

Another interesting fact, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton and Blackpool, still in the top flight after our relegation and all returned to the top flight before us.

Can this thread be renamed "The Masochists"?! Not sure that raking over the past is much help now as virtually everyone "to blame" has been and gone but if it makes people feel better, fair enough!

My first season was 1985/6 so I tend to have a fairly positive view of things for the most part.