PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

Also given the change in system over a full season I’d expect a much higher goal return from Browne, and DJ (assuming they’re still the 2 in front of Whiteman) next year so that should ease the load on Emil. If Browne and DJ could hit between 10-15 goals combined for the season I’d be happy. I’ve no idea how many they got in the games under Lowe so far.

You mean like against Forest when Archer missed a great chance from Potts' reverse pass? Win 1-0 and nobody mentions Riis at all.

Yep, Riis had 10 or so games this year worse than anything either Evans or Maguire put on display.

It seems whenever he plays poorly, the service he receives is always questioned. He was a huge reason why the team created naff all in games in which he started.

In the last 2 games, his hold up play improved notably, and surprise surprise, the team created a boatload of chances of which he himself was a beneficiary. If he can do that 7 in 10 games, we are a totally different animal, and the ridiculous figures some have quoted for his price tag might start to look a lot more like reality.

Post Middlesbrough is definitely the highest I've been on Riis, because he finally displayed the complete striking performance that can pull a team to a top 6 finish, not just that of a decent goal scorer who offers precious little else.

Big summer for him. Hopefully he will be in the gym, adding the size and strength to compete with some of the central defenders that bullied him this season. If he can do that, there will be no need for Ched next season, and we will have a proper player on our hands

Also given the change in system over a full season I’d expect a much higher goal return from Browne, and DJ (assuming they’re still the 2 in front of Whiteman) next year so that should ease the load on Emil. If Browne and DJ could hit between 10-15 goals combined for the season I’d be happy. I’ve no idea how many they got in the games under Lowe so far.
This season Johnson scored 7, Browne scored 4.

So in reply to a point about Evans offering nothing, you combat that with a comment about a game in which Evans offered nothing and instead bring up other, more effective players having the chance to win the game? Just to try say nobody would mention Riis? Gotcha

Sean Maguire has "earned" about £2,000,000 from that exact thought process.

So in reply to a point about Evans offering nothing, you combat that with a comment about a game in which Evans offered nothing and instead bring up other, more effective players having the chance to win the game? Just to try say nobody would mention Riis? Gotcha
Yup it makes zero sense. It's just about shot volume combined with converting chances. You can't frequently win games by creating one good chance per game. And with Evans starting that's largely what ended up happening.

Also important to note Riis apart from his 17 league goals, he finished as our joint highest assist maker too with 5 assists (plus won at least one penalty). He scores and provides.

Anyone still flailing around arguing Evans should have been starting ahead of Riis is just in a state of denial at this point. It was obvious at the time some folk just enjoyed his robust all action, elbows and arms style and happily ignored his lack of goals and poor results.

Riis' has scored more than Fuller managed in a championship season (17 + 2 in cup). We have to go back to Macken to find a player who's scored more at this level in a season. Riis' was aged 3 years old at the time. Would probably still score more than Evans.

Last edited:
Yep, Riis had 10 or so games this year worse than anything either Evans or Maguire put on display.

It seems whenever he plays poorly, the service he receives is always questioned. He was a huge reason why the team created naff all in games in which he started.

In the last 2 games, his hold up play improved notably, and surprise surprise, the team created a boatload of chances of which he himself was a beneficiary. If he can do that 7 in 10 games, we are a totally different animal, and the ridiculous figures some have quoted for his price tag might start to look a lot more like reality.

Post Middlesbrough is definitely the highest I've been on Riis, because he finally displayed the complete striking performance that can pull a team to a top 6 finish, not just that of a decent goal scorer who offers precious little else.

Big summer for him. Hopefully he will be in the gym, adding the size and strength to compete with some of the central defenders that bullied him this season. If he can do that, there will be no need for Ched next season, and we will have a proper player on our hands
He provided 5 assists and won a couple of penalties too, I think. So he clearly adds value apart from just goals in key areas.

No PNE player provided more assists this season and of Strikers in the Championship only Mitrovic (7), Solanke (7), Sharp (7), Martin (6) and Grant (6) provided more assists.

Does Evans even offer more off the ball in terms of running and putting himself about? I've seen Riis put in plenty a shift this season.

Riis is undeniably the first choice striker, and whoever is brought in this summer to play up front is brought in with Riis in mind as their partner.

Does Evans even offer more off the ball in terms of running and putting himself about? I've seen Riis put in plenty a shift this season.

Riis is undeniably the first choice striker, and whoever is brought in this summer to play up front is brought in with Riis in mind as their partner.
Someone questioned me about this on Twitter a few weeks ago. Riis and Archer both made more pressures/90 (as they should, because they’re more athletic and have more energy).

I’m not suggesting we should but I wonder why no one piles on Evans like Maguire?

You’re right to observe parallels. Both forwards play a supporting role without ever putting the ball in the onion bag!

Maybe (just maybe), Evans works like a bulldog. Highly visible. And to be fair, there have been a few games where he seemed to single-handedly change a game with his influence. All very noticeable.

But does he get himself into great goal scoring positions like Seanni?

So Seanni has some very high profile misses that Ched doesn’t suffer from - and his good work - subtle link up play - is less “high profile”

You’re right to observe parallels. Both forwards play a supporting role without ever putting the ball in the onion bag!

Maybe (just maybe), Evans works like a bulldog. Highly visible. And to be fair, there have been a few games where he seemed to single-handedly change a game with his influence. All very noticeable.

But does he get himself into great goal scoring positions like Seanni?

So Seanni has some very high profile misses that Ched doesn’t suffer from - and his good work - subtle link up play - is less “high profile”
Well maybe the mass ranks should look a bit more at his good work and subtle link up play before constantly slagging him off.

He provided 5 assists and won a couple of penalties too, I think. So he clearly adds value apart from just goals in key areas.

No PNE player provided more assists this season and of Strikers in the Championship only Mitrovic (7), Solanke (7), Sharp (7), Martin (6) and Grant (6) provided more assists.

One of those assists was him hand balling a goal bound header from Evans on the line, only for Evans to then follow up against Fulham.

Another was him rolling a 5 yard pass to Whiteman before his deflected 25 yard effort against West Brom.

He ranks 17th in the league by key passes per game, which puts him alongside Johnson Clarke-Harris and Jerry Yates.

He's definitely been a creative force at times during the season, but just slapping down the raw assist stat as evidence without any context is nonsense.

The reason why those last couple of games were so promising, was because for the first time, Riis and Archer looked cohesive and dangerous as a front 2. But now, it seems as though people are trying to tell me that is how we've been all season when those 2 have started together, which is just egregiously false.

You could take away all his assists, but if his work outside the box over the whole season was as solid as in the final 2 games, we'd undoubtedly have scored more over the course of the year.

One of those assists was him hand balling a goal bound header from Evans on the line, only for Evans to then follow up against Fulham.

Another was him rolling a 5 yard pass to Whiteman before his deflected 25 yard effort against West Brom.

He ranks 17th in the league by key passes per game, which puts him alongside Johnson Clarke-Harris and Jerry Yates.

He's definitely been a creative force at times during the season, but just slapping down the raw assist stat as evidence without any context is nonsense.

The reason why those last couple of games were so promising, was because for the first time, Riis and Archer looked cohesive and dangerous as a front 2. But now, it seems as though people are trying to tell me that is how we've been all season when those 2 have started together, which is just egregiously false.

You could take away all his assists, but if his work outside the box over the whole season was as solid as in the final 2 games, we'd undoubtedly have scored more over the course of the year.
Not bad at all for someone you think is useless apart from scoring.

IMO the points you make are fair, but even when he's being an anonymous hologram up front like he was against Blackburn, Riis is always likely to conjure a goal-of-the-season out of nothing and that is a truly priceless quality to have. Far batter than having strikers that work hard and score once every calendar year