PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Journalist shot dead.

The BBC headline :(
FSpZUuUWAAA2B2W
How interesting that Raephil decides to choose this from the BBC, maybe we should start calling him Raffi, and interesting too that the author is Raffi Berg, who is Arabic, and his name Raffi means to lift up on high, shame he wasn't there to help with the coffin.

Totally agree with this. But I've felt this way for a while now. I've turned to alternative information sources, but find myself more distrusting. I've genuinely no idea how to fathom the truth of a situation anymore without being directly involved in it.
Agree - there is so much misinformation and poor reporting around nowadays that trying to get anything approaching the truth would be a full time job. Those who want to manipulate opinion know this all too well - Syria was an information morass, and as for covid...

Nowadays, knowing that I can't analyse everything, I look for people I can trust - not just talking about public figures and journos, but friends and acquaintances who I know understand a subject and can give an informed opinion. A pretty old school way of doing things :D
The first tweet is interesting. Islamic tradition? Shireen was a Greek Orthodox Christian - Greek Orthodox funerals tend to take place quickly, between 24 and 48 hours after death.
Coming back to this, even more interesting that the tweet has now been removed. Perhaps he realised his mistake.

Not a good look, that, with the eyes of the world watching. Looks like it might be backfiring, too. Shireen was a respected journalist, and other journalists take such events and disrespect personally.

This is pretty damning from the NY Times - especially because it tends to lean pro-Israel in its coverage.

Again it feels like deliberate manipulation given where the video starts.

They do appear absolute bastards, however. My Gran has spent a lot of the past 2 decades in Jerusalem, and says the Israeli police force are barbaric.
That is a very good and very fair point. All we can do is piece together all of the pieces of information and try to find something approaching truth.

The reaction of the Israelis, and their apparent callousness, is why people are getting so angry. We still don't know who was responsible for shooting Shireen. Whilst the evidence is starting to lean towards the IDF, it is far from conclusive. However, after the shooting, the Israeli authorities could have been more conciliatory and respectful. They were not, and immediately started throwing out deflections, a grainy video that was soon debunked, and casual disregard.

It is a playbook they have followed in the past when other journalists were killed. However, Shireen was high profile (as well as being a US citizen), well liked, and worked with journalists in most western media outlets. They are taking this personally. Even sources that tend to be more sympathetic towards Israel are now critical.

I think that is also why people are not buying the Israeli version of events over the funeral. The optics were not good and their counter arguments have been pretty weak - a couple of very low quality videos that show very little at all.

Would love to visit Jerusalem, but won't be doing so until things improve significantly!

The careful selection of what we're presented by our national broadcasters every evening is getting ever more stark. Ive never felt more manipulated.

I've believed this for over forty years Pete... I genuinely don't think it's changed one bit. The only difference now is that social media tends to highlight it which is no bad thing.

Anybody interested in what appears to be the truth?

If so;

The Israeli police had organised the funeral with the family of Shireen Abu Aqua. But as things progressed instead of,letting the hearse collect the coffin, dickheads stopped the hearse from doing so and instead wanted to carry the coffin through the streets on their shoulders, against the wishes of the family. Hence the police tried to uphold the wishes of the family and retrieve the coffin.

If so;

The Israeli police had organised the funeral with the family of Shireen Abu Aqua. But as things progressed instead of,letting the hearse collect the coffin, dickheads stopped the hearse from doing so and instead wanted to carry the coffin through the streets on their shoulders, against the wishes of the family. Hence the police tried to uphold the wishes of the family and retrieve the coffin.

Even when their evil has been caught bang to rights for all the world to see.

Still, a very heavy handed way of going about the business. Coupled with they were the ones who murdered the poor woman. Dress it however you want, the Israeli government reek in this tragic affair.

If so;

The behaviour of the police thugs was a disgrace and there's no denying that. Israeli police/military protecting the rights of Palestinians? That's a new un. Rightly or wrongly it's a rarity. I presume the suggestion is that the Palestinians tried to use this as a propaganda excercise? or an outpouring of respect?.. Difficult one so I only have one question:

Are there any direct links to the families wishes? Because they should have been adhered to.

it looks like someone went against the family wishes and covered the hearse of a Palestinian in Palestinian flags so the Israeli police helped to remove them

Have they got a trustpilot page we can all leave a review for going above and beyond with their customer service. You wouldn’t get this sort of service with a CoOp Funeral Care