PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Life helping books?

Listening to a podcast and the interviewer asked the interviewee (hope I got that right) to name a book or podcast that has changed elements of their life.
Got me thinking about books that I've read and the ones I'm currently reading.

I've read Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig which discusses coping with anxiety/depression in an anxiety inducing world.
I'm currently reading Fear Less by Dr Pippa Grange at the moment
Planning on reading Good Vibes, Good Life by Vex King.
Do you have any good book suggestions? These are self help books, life lessons etc.

Listening to a podcast and the interviewer asked the interviewee (hope I got that right) to name a book or podcast that has changed elements of their life.
Got me thinking about books that I've read and the ones I'm currently reading.

I've read Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig which discusses coping with anxiety/depression in an anxiety inducing world.
I'm currently reading Fear Less by Dr Pippa Grange at the moment
Planning on reading Good Vibes, Good Life by Vex King.
Do you have any good book suggestions? These are self help books, life lessons etc.
I've read quite a few psychology books, and specifically sport psychology (and still have a few to work through). The ones that have really stuck with me are Viktor Frankl - Man's search for meaning, Jim Afrenow - The champions mind, and James Kerr - Legacy. Of those the book by Viktor Frankl was something else, really taught me something about who we are as humans. Another I'd recommend that isn't really a self-help book but I was profoundly moved by was Between the world and me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

I can read, but I get board easy reading. They other week I was reading a Leaflets and I tried to pinch Zoom, These Paper Leaflets need to get up with the times, Scroll and Pinch zoom is required 😂

When it comes to podcast I turn off, one minute I listening the next I doing something else. I just can't sit and read or listen to podcasts. I get so annoyed when watching tutorials online and the talk to fast or ramble on.

We need a install software, so its just put on a device and its sent to the brain, cut out the reading and listening

I've read quite a few psychology books, and specifically sport psychology (and still have a few to work through). The ones that have really stuck with me are Viktor Frankl - Man's search for meaning, Jim Afrenow - The champions mind, and James Kerr - Legacy. Of those the book by Viktor Frankl was something else, really taught me something about who we are as humans. Another I'd recommend that isn't really a self-help book but I was profoundly moved by was Between the world and me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
Every time I visit - read this part of the forum you seem “really dialled in 😀 . I think in 5 years of being on here I have probably posted one little “ wobble in this section and you were right on it 😀 and , you were right as well , do you work in this field ? Your post ( to me ) in this section are always bang on ! , kudos to you my friend !

Every time I visit - read this part of the forum you seem “really dialled in 😀 . I think in 5 years of being on here I have probably posted one little “ wobble in this section and you were right on it 😀 and , you were right as well , do you work in this field ? Your post ( to me ) in this section are always bang on ! , kudos to you my friend !
Thanks for the comment, time to come clean I guess. I’m writing up my PhD in psychology and just started my first post doc role as a research assistant. My PhD is in social psychology and I’m also on the supervised route to being a sport and exercise psychologist. I came back to education as a mature student and have for the past ten years been retraining. I’ve always kept quiet about it on here but I’m starting to believe in myself a bit more (classic impostor syndrome). I am NOT a clinical psychologist but peoples welfare is important to me so I’m pleased I can provide some insights now and again. I would say I would never offer psychological advice on here due to the ethics of doing so, but will offer advice or guidance as a friend and concerned fellow football fan mainly based on my own experiences.

Thanks for the comment, time to come clean I guess. I’m writing up my PhD in psychology and just started my first post doc role as a research assistant. My PhD is in social psychology and I’m also on the supervised route to being a sport and exercise psychologist. I came back to education as a mature student and have for the past ten years been retraining. I’ve always kept quiet about it on here but I’m starting to believe in myself a bit more (classic impostor syndrome). I am NOT a clinical psychologist but peoples welfare is important to me so I’m pleased I can provide some insights now and again. I would say I would never offer psychological advice on here due to the ethics of doing so, but will offer advice or guidance as a friend and concerned fellow football fan mainly based on my own experiences.
I knew it 😁 the ethics thing aside , you come across as very astute and in the know when you post , I have not seen you “ cross the line “ and your posts do come across as advice and concern and they are
good to read ! Don’t stop 👍 , and having been in and around “mental health all my life you Defo need to belive in yourself !

Best of luck moving forward with your new roles !

I knew it 😁 the ethics thing aside , you come across as very astute and in the know when you post , I have not seen you “ cross the line “ and your posts do come across as advice and concern and they are
good to read ! Don’t stop 👍 , and having been in and around “mental health all my life you Defo need to belive in yourself !

Best of luck moving forward with your new roles !
Thanks buddy. Keep on trucking!

Thanks buddy. Keep on trucking!
Met someone today that kinda made me think of you ,

Sons late graduation day , met one of my sons friends just done a degree in phycology and realised he didn’t have the life experience to go on and practice at such a young age , so he is changing tack for now and doing a masters in somthing completely different , he’s a bright lad as well,

Thoughts mate ?

Met someone today that kinda made me think of you ,

Sons late graduation day , met one of my sons friends just done a degree in phycology and realised he didn’t have the life experience to go on and practice at such a young age , so he is changing tack for now and doing a masters in somthing completely different , he’s a bright lad as well,

Thoughts mate ?
Well for one I do feel like being an older student has helped with regards to listening, empathy. That’s not to say younger people can’t or don’t have those skills, but I certainly feel for me I’ve benefited from being a bit older and wiser. For a lot of work in different psychological domains you will likely need a masters and/or further qualifications anyway so can’t do any harm. I would advise that he should think about what he wants to do with his degree, talk to people and see if he can get any experience, even if it’s in something related so coaching in relation to sport psychology for example.

12 Rules For Life - Jordan Peterson

A self help book. Not everybody's cup of tea, admittedly. But I read it at a time of attempted growth, and it really helped me attain an inner happiness.
I’ve heard experts dismissing self help books, and positive posters/messaging in a very patronising manner. If there’s something untrue that could potentially be damaging or stopping people getting the correct help then yes criticise, but like you, I think if people find help or solace in something then let them use it!

12 Rules For Life - Jordan Peterson

A self help book. Not everybody's cup of tea, admittedly. But I read it at a time of attempted growth, and it really helped me attain an inner happiness.
I read your post on this, and have sent a copy to my daughter. I hope I did the right thing, she is going through a tough time at the moment, stress and depression.

Unfortunately I cannot make the journey to Preston to see her, if I could I would but perhaps it may help.

I rarely send a book I haven't read myself, but I did read reviews and the history of the author.

Finished ‘Fear Less’ by Pippa Grange last night.
It was ok but was expecting more from it.

Think I’m going to read a story book next or something a little different before I go back to a mind/health book. Need a break ha!

I’m terrible at reading, usually watch an episode of a sitcom in bed but trying to read more.

Finished ‘Fear Less’ by Pippa Grange last night.
It was ok but was expecting more from it.

Think I’m going to read a story book next or something a little different before I go back to a mind/health book. Need a break ha!

I’m terrible at reading, usually watch an episode of a sitcom in bed but trying to read more.
That does surprise me. Was it too theoretical?