PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

If it were my dream job I would willingly walk to London for a visa, unless it's a poorly paid job, but then it wouldn't be your dream job would it ? They've got loads of croissant makers in Paris anyway. Okay so btw, the government has just announced that the company moderna who's CEO earns approx $180m a year are paying over a £1billion, for new goodies, it's more like 5-10 £billion. Who is getting a share of this lot? Only just being discussed this afternoon. There's a rake off for someone.

If it were my dream job I would willingly walk to London for a visa, unless it's a poorly paid job, but then it wouldn't be your dream job would it ? They've got loads of croissant makers in Paris anyway. Okay so btw, the government has just announced that the company moderna who's CEO earns approx $180m a year are paying over a £1billion, for new goodies, it's more like 5-10 £billion. Who is getting a share of this lot? Only just being discussed this afternoon. There's a rake off for someone.
The point is that it shouldn't be necessary, and in some cases this means that the person doesn't get offered the job in the first place.
On your second point, corporate greed existed well before brexit and I'd expect it to get worse now that we're sucking up to the American culture even more than before.

The problem with the EU's freedom of movement (and I am not necessarily against it - just have some concerns) is that people always look at it in terms of people wanting to move for dream jobs etc. Or complain because they can't get cheap foreign labour for certain sectors.

They rarely look at the other side - of people forced to move because of economic disparity and lack of opportunity. An exploitative brain drain that countries such as France benefit from at the expense of peripheral countries - destroy an economy through austerity and then skim off young workers to solve your own domestic issues. Leaving the sending country with demographic imbalances and a lower tax base, but that doesn't matter, of course.

That's before we look at the fact that the reason they can afford to offer dream jobs is because the poorest people in other countries are paying the burden of bailing out their irresponsible fucking banks.

The problem with the EU's freedom of movement (and I am not necessarily against it - just have some concerns) is that people always look at it in terms of people wanting to move for dream jobs etc. Or complain because they can't get cheap foreign labour for certain sectors.

They rarely look at the other side - of people forced to move because of economic disparity and lack of opportunity. An exploitative brain drain that countries such as France benefit from at the expense of peripheral countries - destroy an economy through austerity and then skim off young workers to solve your own domestic issues. Leaving the sending country with demographic imbalances and a lower tax base, but that doesn't matter, of course.

That's before we look at the fact that the reason they can afford to offer dream jobs is because the poorest people in other countries are paying the burden of bailing out their irresponsible fucking banks.
Brilliant post.

It’s almost like an empire bleeding ‘lesser’ countries dry.

Just had a practical example of Brexit putting a spanner in the works. My daughter, currently unemployed, has just been offered her dream job in Paris, I'm really really pleased for her. She was asked to start in 2 weeks time but can't because she needs a work visa which apparently takes a minimum 2 months to sort out. Also, she's going to have to go to London to get it in person.

Made me think that maybe this could put UK job applicants at a disadvantage in the EU. She couldn't get the same job here btw.

The point is that Brexit is restricting opportunities in the EU for young people in the UK.

This was always a cert with Brexit. Shafting the younger generations opportunities to work. abroad and spread their wings. Its actially turned out worse than I envisaged. Shitshow.

They fucking didn’t,

Tough shit

Look around you.

The whole country’s suffering enormously (you and your family included) due to the Brexit disaster and will continue to suffer for years to come if our political leaders don’t face up to the facts now and do something about it.

Brilliant post.

Entry requirements for permanent residence in the USA are very very strict. Remarkably, they're loosened when any area of their labour pool becomes depleted. You could argue, reasonably, that the Guatemalas, El Salvadors, of this world will experience slow and limited economic growth as their pool of talent is lured north.

You're describing capitalism and the global movement of labour that long predates EU freedom of movement.

Entry requirements for permanent residence in the USA are very very strict. Remarkably, they're loosened when any area of their labour pool becomes depleted. You could argue, reasonably, that the Guatemalas, El Salvadors, of this world will experience slow and limited economic growth as their pool of talent is lured north.
Or here’s a plan, bear with me,

The billionaires (which there are more of than ever before in this country) get 5% less and the whole of the rest of the country get to live life well.

The billionaires (which there are more of than ever before in this country) get 5% less and the whole of the rest of the country get to live life well.

Well, that makes too much sense for a start.

It's about total control, and losing 5% will be deemed a loss of 5% of their control.

Money breeds more money, unfortunately for those who have none to begin with.

Deal or no deal….

Brilliant post.

We are just grist for the grind. A source of cheap labour so that people in wealthy countries can have cheap strawberries. A place where they can pick up assets on the cheap and privatise everything we own for their own profit. Where we pay to train and educate young people so that wealthier countries can benefit. Countries where we pay a heavy burden of taxes and see services cut to pay the debts of their financial institutions as part of a web of corruption that spreads outwards and serves selfish corporate interests.

Morgan Stanley, Pfizer, Monsanto, Deutsche Bank, German auto manufacturers, Bayer, Siemens...the list goes on. The revolving door between these unethical corporations and the corridors of power in Brussels, Paris, and Berlin.

You're describing capitalism and the global movement of labour that long predates EU freedom of movement.
But, EU freedom of movement exacerbates the issue (the existence of a brain drain within the EU is not a particularly controversial viewpoint and has been widely covered in the literature). Especially when tied to economic and mercantilist policies emanating from the core countries that beggar peripheral countries and deliberately contract their economies, using debt as a form of control.

It is just another form of exploitation, sadly. The EU should be an organisation that sets out to alleviate this problem. Sadly, it does the opposite.

I’d have accepted the result.
Farage wouldn’t have, he said so himself. I’ve accepted it simply because I can’t do anything about it but if it had gone the other way, I’m convinced it would’ve rumbled on and on. Like the Scottish independence vote, they lost but haven’t accepted it. Brexit would’ve been no different imo.