PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

How the media works

What can we do?
I have no idea, Reg - short of the usual channels of writing to MPs, publicising it, and trying to show how this decision will harm all of us, it all seems pretty hopeless. They are going to do it anyway.

My ire is aimed more at journalists than Patel, to be honest. Protesting about this is the job they should be doing - but, too many did not, or actively supported the extradition.

How is the BBC allowed to give a platform to Truss and Sunak and allow them trash the Conservative Party. Disgusting.

Screenshot_20220726-144931.jpg

Utterly horrifying messaging from the Mail here. For context, there's a push from the far right to label LGBT+ people as groomers and pedophiles. With monkeypox being spread more in the gay community and the poor messaging in the media causing many to think it's a STI, this kind of headline is going to get gay and bi men attacked and killed.

It's disturbing.

View attachment 8508

Utterly horrifying messaging from the Mail here. For context, there's a push from the far right to label LGBT+ people as groomers and pedophiles. With monkeypox being spread more in the gay community and the poor messaging in the media causing many to think it's a STI, this kind of headline is going to get gay and bi men attacked and killed.

It's disturbing.
Utterly sickening but, sadly, I expect nothing else from this vile piece of shit.

View attachment 8508

It's disturbing.
I would normally put it down to clumsy wording - but, given the Daily Mail's habitual dog-whistling, I am not so sure.

Not really a media source, but saw this tonight and it brought the Mail headline into my head as a contrast:

Not a fan of it at all - of course, artists are often provocative, as part of the territory, which is fair enough. However, as a critique, I find it divisive and I have no interest in lashing out at straights - it ain't helpful.

Not really a media source, but saw this tonight and it brought the Mail headline into my head as a contrast:

Not a fan of it at all - of course, artists are often provocative, as part of the territory, which is fair enough. However, as a critique, I find it divisive and I have no interest in lashing out at straights - it ain't helpful.

I agree, shockingly. It's classic identity politics with no understanding of class. It's not white, straight men who have the power. It's rich people, who disproportionately happen to be rich, white and straight due to the lack of systemic barriers between them and power.

The biggest failure of the modern left is the ease at which they seem to get bogged down in drawing battle lines where they don't need to, instead of focussing on the only struggle that matters: rich vs poor.

I agree, shockingly. It's classic identity politics with no understanding of class. It's not white, straight men who have the power. It's rich people, who disproportionately happen to be rich, white and straight due to the lack of systemic barriers between them and power.

The biggest failure of the modern left is the ease at which they seem to get bogged down in drawing battle lines where they don't need to, instead of focussing on the only struggle that matters: rich vs poor.
Yup - fully agree. Perhaps, sidelining class is how we ended up with so many mediocre politicians! They can sidestep the real fight and issues.

I am deliberately skirting around the racial element because there are others with far more direct knowledge.

For me, in terms of gay rights, we pretty much achieved equality. Marriage, workplace, family, politics, and almost everywhere else - all we asked for was equal treatment and we got it. Always going to be some who hate - that is human nature - but the vast majority of straight British people are exceptionally tolerant and live-and-let-live.

This sort of provocation smacks of - 'yes, but we want more' - and picks away at a wound that had almost healed. I don't like it.

I feel like straight white women like Françoise Bettencourt really get away with this one 🤐

Seems a recent obsession with straight white men baiting. Seen it a lot on both media and social media.

On LinkedIn there was a post from a woman complaining about recieving unsolicited messages from men. But rather than state her fair point as such, she had to add "white men" before it.

I find this was for likes more than for the issue itself. Keep seeing this. It's identity politics at best, and a form of racism at worst - a sweeping generalisation on a colour and gender. Why is it allowed openly?

Yup - fully agree. Perhaps, sidelining class is how we ended up with so many mediocre politicians! They can sidestep the real fight and issues.

I am deliberately skirting around the racial element because there are others with far more direct knowledge.

For me, in terms of gay rights, we pretty much achieved equality. Marriage, workplace, family, politics, and almost everywhere else - all we asked for was equal treatment and we got it. Always going to be some who hate - that is human nature - but the vast majority of straight British people are exceptionally tolerant and live-and-let-live.

This sort of provocation smacks of - 'yes, but we want more' - and picks away at a wound that had almost healed. I don't like it.

I think a large part of the blame can be laid at the USA, and social media's tendency to import whatever hot button topics they're dealing with into our discourse. I can understand it coming from a more actively oppressed people, like black people in America, but it makes less sense in the UK where things are much better (albeit far from perfect).

A sledgehammer might be needed to break down the walls in America, but that wall's mostly been demolished already in the UK; what we need is a chisel tidy up around the edges. Swinging sledgehammers around is just going make a mess of the rest of the house.

I think it's the same with LGBT rights here. The sledgehammer was swung around decades ago, and your generation spent years tidying up (and did a great job of it). That's why I understand, even if I don't agree, your frustration with trans people; they've started swinging their sledgehammers around in the house you spent decades fixing up.

Why is it allowed openly?

Because after centuries of white men who have nothing to do with you or me doing very bad things to women and people of varying minorities, someone somewhere has decided it's okay to openly take a jab at all white men.
It's a tried and tested thing.

I think the idea of people of different ethnicities being in power is good, if they earn it and if they're good at it why not? They deserve it. However, life isn't an Oscar nominated film, no matter what skin tone you are, you're going to end up stepping on people and crapping on people to get to the top of that pyramid, you'll end up getting glass in someone's eye smashing that ceiling.

Fb7WSsXXEAAlF-o

View attachment 9365

So the Bank of England has ADMITTED we're in recession. Bloody useless bankers.
So the Bank of England has added to the burden for mortgage payers. Bastards.
So the Bank of England has heaped more misery on families? Twats.
It's that same framing we have had for 12 years. Actions outside of the control or influence of the government have happened again.

View attachment 9365

So the Bank of England has ADMITTED we're in recession. Bloody useless bankers.
So the Bank of England has added to the burden for mortgage payers. Bastards.
So the Bank of England has heaped more misery on families? Twats.
Rock and a hard place. The Fed is increasing rates, and if we don't move too then the pound loses value.

Half measures like this helps no one though. Either keep rates low and accept inflation but save homeowners, or whack it up to match the fed and accept we're in recession.

End of the day, the bank is powerless against the government. They'll just take the blame and this'll all be used as justification for removing their independence, giving the Tories free reign to fuck with the economy for political gain again.

Rock and a hard place. The Fed is increasing rates, and if we don't move too then the pound loses value.

Half measures like this helps no one though. Either keep rates low and accept inflation but save homeowners, or whack it up to match the fed and accept we're in recession.

End of the day, the bank is powerless against the government. They'll just take the blame and this'll all be used as justification for removing their independence, giving the Tories free reign to fuck with the economy for political gain again.
Yup - although people shouldn't read too much into the dollar vs pound. When oil and gas prices rise, the dollar gets stronger because it is the reserve currency - nothing anybody can do about that unless the BRICS or somebody else starts trading oil/gas in a different currency.

My criticism of the BoE (and other central banks) is that they went down the very low interest rates/Quantitative Easing route after the financial crisis and kicked the can down the road. Now it is time to pay the piper. Although, to be fair, politicians who refused to make any meaningful changes to the financial system and economy should take the bulk of the blame. We papered over the cracks.