PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

Bobbage

Overachieving
Patron
In isolation, a draw with Burnley is a good result (same with Watford too) but it's becoming very clear just how reliant this "attacking brand" of football was on having Cameron Archer to provide the end product. We're toothless upfront without a proper finisher to work alongside Parrott. Riis is beginning to look like a one-season-wonder. Some of our football has been exceptional at times this season but the lack of goals and wins seems to be beginning to drain the confidence and spark from some of the players now.

How do we change it if we're unlikely to buy a striker? We have no RB or proper RW to go 442 or enough strikers for 433, not that we'll change formation when we aren't losing anyway. Looks like we're pinning all our hopes on Gerrard not getting sacked before January and then crossing our fingers....

In isolation, a draw with Burnley is a good result (same with Watford too) but it's becoming very clear just how reliant this "attacking brand" of football was on having Cameron Archer to provide the end product. We're toothless upfront without a proper finisher to work alongside Parrott. Riis is beginning to look like a one-season-wonder. Some of our football has been exceptional at times this season but the lack of goals and wins seems to be beginning to drain the confidence and spark from some of the players now.

How do we change it if we're unlikely to buy a striker? We have no RB or proper RW to go 442 or enough strikers for 433, not that we'll change formation when we aren't losing anyway. Looks like we're pinning all our hopes on Gerrard not getting sacked before January and then crossing our fingers....
Parrott is also looking like a no-season-wonder, on that analysis. But it's not just about the personnel, which we are stuck with thanks to the ownership.

We focus on defence at the expense of our attacking ambitions, which are either slow and laborious (when we dabble in "possession football") or quick and inaccurate (when we try to soak up pressure and "counterattack").

It took AN a few years to realise we were never going to build an attacking force here, so we'd better just focus on keeping it tight at the back, try and grab something late on, and if not, on to the next one.

Lowe has realised this in under 12 months.

Little bit of a pattern emerging with some reactions to the manager last night. Same pattern as the previous manager, the one before, the one before.. not supportered, fans turn on them.

Didn't adapt following of a lack of backing from above.

Hope RL can find a way and doesn't go all stubborn on us.

I mean the bloke plays 352 yet we didn't sign a RWB.

The lack of signing a striker was negligent.

Lowe is a salesman. Unfortunately his product is akin to something you drunkenly buy off QVC after 15 cans of Strongbow.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that yet, especially when he didn’t get what he asked for.

However, performances need to improve. Last night and Birmingham were extremely poor. We basically watched Burnley pass the ball around for 85 minutes last night.

Having said that, Ridsdale will be loving this, fail to back the manager, manager gets the grief, gets sacked, Ridsdale keeps his job. Same again.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that yet, especially when he didn’t get what he asked for.

However, performances need to improve. Last night and Birmingham were extremely poor. We basically watched Burnley pass the ball around for 85 minutes last night.

Having said that, Ridsdale will be loving this, fail to back the manager, manager gets the grief, gets sacked, Ridsdale keeps his job. Same again.
Again though, PR, if Hemmings says there's no money for your manager, then there's no money. Remember , he's just a spokeman to the powers above. I'm sure if PR had his way, we'd have had all the targets we needed but he has to go to the table with agents offering 20 quid a week

He's been well and truly shafted in the transfer market I agree. But then so was Alex Neil (to a lesser degree) each time we were in a strong position.

My issue is that Lowe loves to sell his 'brand of football'. He talks about it a lot. Sells the idea of free flowing attacking play with lot of goals. I can think of maybe two or three games max where that has looked anything like a reality. I get that he's selling an idea to get bums on seats.....but now the bums are on seats....and they are expecting to see what was being promised.

The likes of us who attend season in, season out without fail will still be there next season but the ones who got swayed probably won't. 1 home goal all season and no wins won't be convincing anyone.

What worries me , is the fans will turn on Lowe as this pattern is familiar. It was the same under Neil, Grayson, Davies and Simpson. The boards lack of ambition when there's a sign of a good thing. The Hemmings clan are the issue here , not the Manager.

There are a few who still haven't got over Alex Neil's departure and have doubted Ryan from day one who are very vocal.

This summer was a massive opportunity to seriously challenge in this league under a manager most supporters where/are fully behind.

Record season ticket sales, supporter efforts behind the scenes. Brilliant away followings.

We have only lost one game and conceded two goals which is commendable.

Yet sadly the fact is we simply have to start scoring more goals and winning home games or things will go the same way as all the others.

Ryan is going to have to adapt, pick players on form and fit in our best players.

Yet when you look to our bench last night and the attacking choices where league 2 standard.

Negligent that signing a striker wasn't a priority.

Things are going to go one way or the other now.

Let's hope it's the right way.

Again though, PR, if Hemmings says there's no money for your manager, then there's no money. Remember , he's just a spokeman to the powers above. I'm sure if PR had his way, we'd have had all the targets we needed but he has to go to the table with agents offering 20 quid a week

But it's The Riddler who does the financials and is responsible for keeping to that budget. Somehow we managed to blow all of our permanent transfer budget by July 5th without bringing in either of the two key positions that needed strengthening for this system to work. The snake wriggles his way out every time, using up all the available money we have and then saying it's not his fault we have no money for strikers.

We have only lost one game and conceded two goals which is commendable.

Yet sadly the fact is we simply have to start scoring more goals and winning home games or things will go the same way as all the others.

Thing is the last two games aside we've been creating plenty of chances and that bullshit xG stat is very high for us. Higher than Burnley last night I think. Ryan Lowe cannot affect players fluffing their lines on the pitch.

It's some of this vitriol towards Ryan Lowe that makes me dread ever making the Premier League. Imagine how fast some of our supporters would be on a managers back if we were in a relegation battle getting tonked every week.

Can’t really produce attacking football when your forward options are Riis (one season wonder), Parrott (who I’m not convinced will be a Championship attacker nevermind a Prem one), Tweedledee and Tweedledum and an 18 year old attacking midfielder