PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

Looking at our bench for attacking options last night was soul destroying

I also commented last night maybe it’s time to give Maguire a few games

Says a lot when I’m saying a player who I’ve posted as finished at this level for quite some time should be brought on .

Absolute shambles.
Possibly debatable but was Riis’ best scoring returns when alongside Maguire?

Someone may have stats that proves this is nonsense however 😅

Come on everybody - it is frustrating but we showed some fight and we got a point. What do you think Middlesbrough fans are like this morning after they found themselves 3-0 down at half-time last night. There are some positives and we have to see if we can build on them.

He's hardly played at all for the 1st team so based on what?

I'm not saying he is or isn't ready, I'm just saying given that Evans / Maguire are the alternatives why not give him a go.

Based on that. Clearly if Lowe felt he was good enough he would be playing.

The issue with our young lads, is firstly, we massively overrate them. JRG last year was getting shouts to start after scoring a goal in a pre-season friendly!

Secondly, with the set up as it is, I don't think people realise how poor the opposition actually is in the games they are playing. They absolutely pissed the league last season and won about 5-0 every game. That's all well and good but it certainly doesn't improve development.

I think Mikey is well off the standard. Had we got a new striker in during the summer I believe he would've left on loan.

Come on everybody - it is frustrating but we showed some fight and we got a point. What do you think Middlesbrough fans are like this morning after they found themselves 3-0 down at half-time last night. There are some positives and we have to see if we can build on them.
I see CR helped himself to a couple of assists in that game. We’re so tinpot!

When does frustration end & reality / worry / anger etc etc etc start?

He's been well and truly shafted in the transfer market I agree. But then so was Alex Neil (to a lesser degree) each time we were in a strong position.

My issue is that Lowe loves to sell his 'brand of football'. He talks about it a lot. Sells the idea of free flowing attacking play with lot of goals. I can think of maybe two or three games max where that has looked anything like a reality. I get that he's selling an idea to get bums on seats.....but now the bums are on seats....and they are expecting to see what was being promised.

The likes of us who attend season in, season out without fail will still be there next season but the ones who got swayed probably won't. 1 home goal all season and no wins won't be convincing anyone.
I personally think that Lowe was sold a vision when he joined for the summer to come (2022), he then reiterated this vision - attacking brand - to the fans but then come summertime, he was royally shafted by the hierarchy with regards crucial incomings.

Don't blame Lowe who now has one arm tied behind his back, blame "The Family".

Hemmings Clan Out!!

I seem to remember debates about we have no leaders on the pitch.

Maybe Parrott is right, maybe some players aren’t following instructions .

Maybe he is making the runs and we don’t have a midfield creator who can spot the runs and make the passes.

Maybe Parrott is doing his job and dragging defenders out of position and other players aren’t exploiting the gaps.

I suppose that there are two sides to every story.

Yes. This some of this makes sense too.

Can't help feeling he as is frustrating to watch as he would appear to be frustrated with his team mates.

He has so much energy, but rarely the tenacity and aggression to match it. (Riis even less so)

I'd love Parrott to be a huge success.

Wasn't an enjoyable watch last night & I'm glad I had the second half on in the background while doing other things - every time I looked at the screen it was Burnley attacking or us sloppily losing possession. Even when we attack I don't expect anything to come of it - the only time I got marginally excited was when Fernandez kept his composure in the box & managed to get his shot away, not sure if it was heading in but I'd have loved him to have bagged the winner.. oh well.

I think if we'd have beaten Birmingham I'd be viewing last night's result with much more optimism, but once again it was just yet another glaring reminder that we simply don't have the right players (or quality of players) to play Lowe's preferred system, despite this being known since the end of last season.

A couple of wins over the next couple of weeks does change everything in terms of how we view the table, but looking ahead can anyone honestly see us getting more than 6/7 points from now until the end of October (from a possible 24)? I've tried to be generous with that tally too.

I mean . . . DJ turned in that performance while wearing the captain's armband last night. In a local derby.

Jesus. He played like he thought it was an open training session. :oops:

Not just that he was invisible as a 'leader' (he just isn't one) but on the one occasion 'Our Most Creative Player' had the chance to thread Parrott in, he delayed and delayed and eventually pinged the ball at him at 100mph.

He's started the season like a guy who knows he won't be here next year.

A fit and firing DJ is arguably our best player; the disinterested stroller we saw last night is a liability.

Browne did well when he came on and has the spirit required, but he's another quiet one.

Whiteman needs to be captain, but given the state of the squad I can see why Lowe doesn't want to rock the boat.

Let's face it, the manager has been shafted, just like the rest of us. :(
It goes with the territory of being the PNE manager sadly. He needs to somehow make it all work. There has to be an answer up front before we get to the next window.

Yes. This some of this makes sense too.

Can't help feeling he as is frustrating to watch as he would appear to be frustrated with his team mates.

He has so much energy, but rarely the tenacity and aggression to match it. (Riis even less so)

I'd love Parrott to be a huge success.

It's starting to look less and less likely. Spoke to a Dingle at work who was completely puzzled by a)why Spurs are keeping hold of him and b) why he is starting in the championship.

I can't see a glittering career at the moment. Looks too much like a passenger.

A couple of wins over the next couple of weeks

We can at best only get one win over the next couple of weeks because there is only one match in that period - nothing on the last week-end of the month. After that a massively intense October. Let's see how we do.

It's starting to look less and less likely. Spoke to a Dingle at work who was completely puzzled by a)why Spurs are keeping hold of him and b) why he is starting in the championship.

I can't see a glittering career at the moment. Looks too much like a passenger.

Spurs only gave him a 3 year deal in July so I keep telling myself there has to be something there.

I personally think that Lowe was sold a vision when he joined for the summer to come (2022), he then reiterated this vision - attacking brand - to the fans but then come summertime, he was royally shafted by the hierarchy with regards crucial incomings.

Don't blame Lowe who now has one arm tied behind his back, blame "The Family".

Hemmings Clan Out!!
Fully agree, there must be so much bull shit floating around the club right now. Everything that seems to come out of Lowes mouth right now is utter bollocks and Hemmings and co are just staying quiet. Every club should at least have a bit of belief that we can compete but ours was taken away 3-4 weeks into the season. Unforgivable! For all the money they’re are worth we must have the worst owners in the land.

But it's The Riddler who does the financials and is responsible for keeping to that budget. Somehow we managed to blow all of our permanent transfer budget by July 5th without bringing in either of the two key positions that needed strengthening for this system to work. The snake wriggles his way out every time, using up all the available money we have and then saying it's not his fault we have no money for strikers.
I feel that the financial goalposts were moved mid-window (4 players became 2 became 0).

Hence, certain players were brought in early who may not have been otherwise (Woodburn perhaps the most likely example, a player in a position where we were fairly well covered).