PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

Spurs only gave him a 3 year deal in July so I keep telling myself there has to be something there.

The only thing that I can think of is it's similar to what Liverpool do in that it would protect them getting a transfer fee for someone they've (presumably) put a lot of effort in to in their system.

This summer was a massive opportunity to seriously challenge in this league under a manager most supporters where/are fully behind.

Absolutely!

The more I reflect on last night, dour as it was, the more impressive was that display. I don't think it should be underestimated how great the coaching must be to instil such organisation and determination. It's really not easy to do what we did. Italian teams of old would be praised to high heaven.

Obviously, this superb coaching and organisation doesn't fit what Ryan Lowe says is our approach... which is perplexing. I wish he'd actually come out and be open about this defensive approach, given current limitations. IMO, he's illustrating that he's an excellent defensive coach, and that is a hugely valuable commodity, the basis for the best teams - I would hate us to get on his back and grind him down. It's so obvious he desperately needs quality up front - then we could really see what he can put together. As frustrated as I am that we didn't back him in summer, the only good thing we can do now is show patience, whilst imploring the club to solve the striker problem on January 1st.

Lowe is a salesman. Unfortunately his product is akin to something you drunkenly buy off QVC after 15 cans of Strongbow.
Dunno what Salary he's on compared to an top City Ex-Player who's (only just starting) to carry on the Baton-Carrying from the Master Gaurdiola. Managing a team that could bounce back.
Compare that guy to ours.Coming from the Wilds of Devon to Deepdale is bound to be an upgrade for him.
Our squad has potential, but comparing last night's 11 to Burnley's, is short by about Five Players, easily.
Company's more of a bottle of Decent Claret than Ryan's homebrew.

100% but perhaps in hindsight he will think he should've been less vocal about what he promised but on the other hand we don't know what he was promised when he took the job.
Don't want to be rude to pne-online's 'Swiss Toni' , but the Guy with the not-so-pet name of 'The Riddler'  can be very persuasive, and 'Swiss Toni' could be an equally suitable moniker for him.

These strikers look like broken men.

Parrott spends most of his time on the pitch gesticulating and obsessing about where everyone else is playing. Like it is everybody else who is to blame if he is below par. Why not focus on his own game? "Fix yourself, not the world." There is much to work on. Example? I have lost count of the number of times the ball gets stuck in his feet. Why is that?

We have already created a blueprint that enables Riis to score over 20 goals in a season. We now seem content to ignore this. Riis is not without blame. He looks like he has little appetite to do the hard running without the ball. And balls into him rarely stick. There is no edge to him at all. And his game is poorer (at the moment) for it.

Much for these boys to focus on.

Lack of quality and competition from the bench. Literally nothing. That doesn't help.
Troy isn't a goal scorer at this level simple as, league one is his level just look at his record it speaks for itself. He won't ever play for Tottenham much if ever and will eventually be sold on to the lower leagues or abroad, for me a mistake bringing him here , sorry 😞

Just meant this as a figure of speech - a couple, a few etc., but I did also think they might try & squeeze the postponed Bristol City one in at some point seeing as the rest of the year is so jam-packed.

Fair enough though I think it is some sort of international break so I doubt we can reschedule the Bristol City match this month and October as you say is jam-packed. Wouldn't surprise me if it was rearranged for the second half of the season but let's see.

Parrot needs benching.

He's benched DJ & Browne 2 of the most senior players at the Club so can't see how Parrot is still starting.
He reminds me a bit of Brownhill before him going to Bristol. Skilled but lightweight.
In hindsight , and with 3-5 seasons more on him, JB has put some weight on him & toughened-up, and now is probably the finished job .
Parrot , at the moment, isn't up to the job he's got at Deepdale. It's a bit-of-a baptism of fire. Needs resting , a couple ressiecgames might do more good than harm
As far as his career goes,he could do worse than try to emulate Brownhill.
I think a 'Big Six' type Club probablyvisn't going to be a typical place for him, though, but I hope he will prove me wrong.

Part of that is nonsense, in that Troy and Riis have had chances and not taken them. Chances that if they had taken would probably see us second in this division.
Troy Parrott shots per game 2.4. Shots on target per game 0.9. Big chances missed 4
Riis shots per game 1.9. Shots on target per game 0.8. Big chances missed 4.
That's in just 8 games. 4 big chances each.

Ryan needs to somehow sort their heads out.

If you think those shots per game are low as a comparison last year Mitrovich had stats of 4.5 shots per game, 2.1 on target. Over the season he missed 24 big chances. That was in a team just down from the prem and a man getting £100k a week.
They are reluctant to shoot themselves, and prefer to pass if they can.
Any / all of 'em.

That seems to be the general view. I watched on TV and thought that, whilst he didn't produce when on the ball, he worked his socks off. Forever tracking back and getting into good defensive positions and played a big part in a (dour) very organised defensive display against a better team.
I thought his positional play was just as bad as when he was on the ball, he was never in a position to come close to making a tackle or even unsettling the opposition. Constantly in no man’s land getting passed around or chasing shadows. Might aswell have had an empty crisp packet floating about in the wind.

The vast majority of my irritation lies with the owners but, as ever, the manager isn't above criticism when it comes to the things he can directly control. It's not at all clear to me how exactly we think we're going to start playing an attacking brand of football when Lowe's preferred system - and his preferred players within it - aren't coherent. We play Potts and Brady at wing back, both of whom have great qualities as individual footballers but neither of whom provide any forward thrust. Consequently we don't drag the opposition out of position, nor do we create any angles to move the ball around sharply enough, or in a more threatening way. One of Brady's biggest attributes is his crossing - but we have two strikers who don't thrive off crosses and aren't likely to pop up with a headed goal anytime soon. Make no mistake about it, it must be absolutely miserable to play as a striker in this North End team. Neither Parrot nor Riis are likely to see a quality through ball anytime soon, never mind several. As such, their confidence levels are through the floor. None of our central midfielders excel in their passing - a problem made worse by the previously mentioned lack of movement at wing back - and so the ball constantly ends up being passed to our centre backs who then get criticism for not being sufficiently able to play a sharp pass through the middle of the pitch. And then we get back to the owners again, because our ability to mix things up when we need a plan B is rubbish. What are we going to do when our first choice strikers are out of form? Play Maguire and Evans? I feel really flat about this club at the moment. Obviously it's great to have got a point out of a game when the opposition was so much better than us but it would not surprise me in the least to see us start slipping into trouble and soon. We cannot go on playing like this.

The owner and ridsdale deserves all the criticism in my eyes. You talk about quality through balls.

Riis missed a one on one v Wigan.
Parrott missed a one on one v hull.
Parrott missed a one on one v rothertham
Riis missed a one on one v Birmingham.

The strikers have had chances. We are so wasteful with the ball in promising positions though. Bad decision after bad decision. We could have caught Burnley on the counter 3-4 times last night but it was bad pass after bad pass. It’s like we shit ourselves in promising positions. Parrott tries to pass when he should shoot and Riis tries to take the whole defence on when he should pass.

In Lowe's last full season at Plymouth (league 1):

They ended with a -27 goal difference.

They lost 8 home games including 0-6, 0-4, 0-3, 0-3

Lost 5-1 away at Fleetwood

Went from being in 9th place on 13th February to finish 18th.

They had runs of losing 6 in a row, 5 in a row and 4 in a row. They also lost his last 3 games before he joined us.

In 34 games of that season they scored 1 goal or none. So in only 12 games across an entire league 1 season they scored more than 1 goal.

Finished the season with 6 defeats and 1 draw from their last 7.

I think it's 34 goals in 35 games since he took over here (or something close to that).

Whilst he could have been backed more in the window lets not get completely sucked in by his waffle and bluster. He needs to buck up quickly.
Well at least he is learning.

We will be no where near a negative 27 goal difference and we won’t be getting battered in many games this season.

Maybe he isn't up to much but unless he gets a few games with a decent amount of time on the pitch we're never gonna know.

I'd sooner give him a go than Evans or Maguire TBH.
The usual way would be to start the young lad & have either CE or SM coming on for the final 25min.

That seems to be the general view. I watched on TV and thought that, whilst he didn't produce when on the ball, he worked his socks off. Forever tracking back and getting into good defensive positions and played a big part in a (dour) very organised defensive display against a better team.
Genuinely shocked you saw it that way. I love DJ but he was appalling last night and his negligence in terms of positioning/tracking was becoming a liability.

This summer the club decided we will be mounting a bottom half push this season. In that context, only one league defeat is a pretty good effort so far.

But I'm tired of watching this formation built on a back five offering no attacking width. The starting xi largely picks itself. Any changes have minimal effect on how we play.

It's easy to point fingers at individuals. But, we just don't have the personnel for this "brand" of football, or the options to change things up a gear. Subs (bar fleeting moments from Fernandez) generally indicate our day is done.

Defensively so far we have been resolute and aren't shipping many goals at all. But, we are a rudimentary, slow, plodding team that are fairly slap dash in possession.

Last edited:
Troy isn't a goal scorer at this level simple as, league one is his level just look at his record it speaks for itself. He won't ever play for Tottenham much if ever and will eventually be sold on to the lower leagues or abroad, for me a mistake bringing him here , sorry 😞
We were all expecting Cameron Archer mark2.

Genuinely shocked you saw it that way. I love DJ but he was appalling last night and his negligence in terms of positioning/tracking was becoming a liability.

DJ was very poor and the game seemed to bypass him.

Browne is also desperately out of form.