PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

UK Energy Crisis

Though I knew I had a fake chimney on my roof I never realised most of the neighbours didn’t even have that. They spend more effort designing places to fit in with what was previously there in a lot of cases so whether it only had chimneys on the end buildings it replaced. Sadly our row was the vagrant and mental wards of the workhouse apparently.

View attachment 9324
I haven't seen a gas fire since, I lived in Preston, 40 years ago.

Though I knew I had a fake chimney on my roof I never realised most of the neighbours didn’t even have that. They spend more effort designing places to fit in with what was previously there in a lot of cases so whether it only had chimneys on the end buildings it replaced. Sadly our row was the vagrant and mental wards of the workhouse apparently.

View attachment 9324
Is that Sharoe Green?

Some would argue it still is...:D :p

On a serious note, though - that must be an interesting but also very sad history to look into.
Quite a few houses have had all sorts of paranormal people round as they are convinced there are poltergeists and all sorts. Repeating stories of similar “visitors” and one house that claims to keep coming home to piles of furniture in their lounge over the years. Some of the houses and flats are renovated from the old Masters house and Nursing quarters and they have similar stories. Odd little place certainly (not just because of me obviously….)

Quite a few houses have had all sorts of paranormal people round as they are convinced there are poltergeists and all sorts. Repeating stories of similar “visitors” and one house that claims to keep coming home to piles of furniture in their lounge over the years. Some of the houses and flats are renovated from the old Masters house and Nursing quarters and they have similar stories. Odd little place certainly (not just because of me obviously….)
There is a little church just outside the back of our house - it was built next to a threshing pit where Ottoman troops, to persuade the men of the village to leave the citadel and surrender, trampled women and children to death under the hooves of their horses. Always gave me a creepy feeling - even before I knew the history.

There is a little church just outside the back of our house - it was built next to a threshing pit where Ottoman troops, to persuade the men of the village to leave the citadel and surrender, trampled women and children to death under the hooves of their horses. Always gave me a creepy feeling - even before I knew the history.
New thread needed, Ghouls and Ghosts.

1663714402800.png

I was dealing with raw data, before it had the chance to be watered down or embellished.

What I am trying to say is that I'm only commenting on the facts that I know and that I have seen for myself.

As ever I have no comment on the guaranteed future and viability of fracking, only from my experience that it is far from a closed book, based on the evidence gathered from PNR. And we need to investigate it.

I have been primarily coming from the environmental angle of greenhouse gasses. I will leave the economics and seismics to Sepp.

In short - the guy who essentially invented modern fracking turned against the technology. He and a colleague worked out that if only 3% of the gas in the original shale is lost due to leaks into the atmosphere- at any stage from the fracking, processing and transporting, then the technology is as damaging as coal. But they showed that leaks typically add up to 4-5%.

They were ostrocised as a result of publishing and lost funding. Typically, in operations, fracking sites don’t monitor loss of methane to the atmosphere. If the did, they’d have to do something about it!

That one seems to have gone out the window already.. tick tock indeed ..... Don't we just love capitalism ? :)
Short term gain for the few, disregard the environment, disregard the population, they wouldn't get away with it if we actually have politicians that worked for the good of the country they are supposed to represent. Unfortunately, politicians are corrupt.

I watched a video earlier on al-Jazeera about the driest summer in Europe this year for yonks, in the UK for 50 years. The panel consisted of 2 'experts' one from UCL, and another from some other Uni in the UK, blatantly promoting his book. One of the speakers, Clare Farrell was from Extinction Rebellion, a really eloquent lady, probably the best of the 3. The organisation in the UK, is demonised by the press, yet they are respected elsewhere in the world. If you demonstrate and take action in this country, it's bad press without a doubt, not allowed, left wing loonies.

The video was nothing special, but Clare Farrell is worth a listen. Watch on full screen, otherwise annoying ads.

Last edited:
Short term gain for the few, disregard the environment, disregard the population, they wouldn't get away with it if we actually have politicians that worked for the good of the country they are supposed to represent. Unfortunately, politicians are corrupt.

I watched a video earlier on al-Jazeera about the driest summer in Europe this year for yonks, in the UK for 50 years. The panel consisted of 2 'experts' one from UCL, and another from some other Uni in the UK, blatantly promoting his book. One of the speakers, Clare Farrell was from Extinction Rebellion, a really eloquent lady, probably the best of the 3. The organisation in the UK, is demonised by the press, yet they are respected elsewhere in the world. If you demonstrate and take action in this country, it's bad press without a doubt, not allowed, left wing loonies.

The video was nothing special, but Clare Farrell is worth a listen. Watch on full screen, otherwise annoying ads.

You only have to look how the OP titled the ER thread to realise how a good amount of people are sheep led led by the media in the country in this country.

I’m in a newish house, no gas fire and no chimney. 😢

Point taken and I've already been proven utterly wrong on this one and been told off ... I concede that I'm a bit behind the times.. :)

Addition......... Please go lightly on me as I never had central heating for 35 years and now I've had it for 18 months I can't afford to turn it on again now...... Back to square 1. :D