PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

New EFL rules? Expenditure cannot exceed 70% revenue.

I think it's only be workable with a massive increase in EFL funding, and redistribution of parachute payments. Limiting everyone to 70% but giving relegated clubs 100m would just make the prem a closed shop.
Fully agree; parachute payments need to reconsidered otherwise EFL sides may as well pack up.

Our latest useless PM Truss set to abandon manifesto and Queen's Speech pledges and kick independent football regulator into long grass:

Our latest useless PM Truss set to abandon manifesto and Queen's Speech pledges and kick independent football regulator into long grass:

This govt has no mandate to be doing most of the things they are now planning to do.

They will have no problem with the wealthy clubs taking more wealth out of the game, its all a very big part of the unregulated free market attitude of the european research group and the taxpayers alliance.

This govt has no mandate to be doing most of the things they are now planning to do.

They will have no problem with the wealthy clubs taking more wealth out of the game, its all a very big part of the unregulated free market attitude of the european research group and the taxpayers alliance.
Taxpayer's alliance? I'll join, is it revolutionary, death to the Bourgeoisie, pitchfork being polished.

Five months and another useless PM later, the government is expected to finally publish its white paper on football governance this week, probably Thursday.

The EFL is meanwhile still trying to get the Prem to budge on the EFL's demand for 25% of the Prem cash, but has no real bargaining chips, except their offer to fuck about with the EFL Cup format.

Interesting that Rick Parry is citing the spurious "£12m-a-year" figure that the Hemmings have supposedly been putting in all these years - Peter is obviously happy for that myth to percolate around EFL Towers, and for Parry to portray PNE as a poster child for owner generosity and "a really well-run, sensible club" under Peter's own expert guidance:

RP: "The dependence on owner funding is bad. Craig Hemmings (son of long-time Preston owner Trevor who died in 2021) wrote to supporters on behalf of the Preston ownership.​
"Preston are a really well-run, sensible club. They are not chasing the dream and not over-spending. But he pointed out their annual budget is £24m and of that, the Hemmings family provide £12m every year. Who replaces the Hemmings family? Who comes to Preston and says 'starting point £12m-a-year'."​
Who indeed.

Last edited:
Not allowed has to be market value, they investigate if the sponsor has connections to the owner

That made me laugh on two levels..... The " market value " jibe ..... And the suggestion that the EFL are capable of an " investigation "... Good one ( sorry, two) ! :D

Don’t forget 55 Tufton Street

Five months and another useless PM later, the government is expected to finally publish its white paper on football governance this week, probably Thursday.

The EFL is meanwhile still trying to get the Prem to budge on the EFL's demand for 25% of the Prem cash, but has no real bargaining chips, except their offer to fuck about with the EFL Cup format.

Interesting that Rick Parry is citing the spurious "£12m-a-year" figure that the Hemmings have supposedly been putting in all these years - Peter is obviously happy for that myth to percolate around EFL Towers, and for Parry to portray PNE as a poster child for owner generosity and "a really well-run, sensible club" under Peter's own expert guidance:

RP: "The dependence on owner funding is bad. Craig Hemmings (son of long-time Preston owner Trevor who died in 2021) wrote to supporters on behalf of the Preston ownership.​
"Preston are a really well-run, sensible club. They are not chasing the dream and not over-spending. But he pointed out their annual budget is £24m and of that, the Hemmings family provide £12m every year. Who replaces the Hemmings family? Who comes to Preston and says 'starting point £12m-a-year'."​
Who indeed.

I can’t see anyone wanting to own north end .
If they gave it away for a £1 can’t see any takers who would subsidies them as much as CH .
we have a fan base wanting PL football . Cheap S/T and we will all expect the same prices next season .Can’t see any answer to our owner ship .
The Hemmings family’s should reorganise the running of the club starting with replacing PR & work down.

This is why it's important to bang on about PNE's turnover and how shit it is, and why it's alarming that the owners can't be arsed improving it.

It's obvious what the EFL will end up with from their negotiations with the Prem - nothing like the extra Prem money they want, but saddled with the salary-and-transfer-fees cap linked to turnover that the Prem wants.

Which will be curtains for PNE as a Championship club of course - because our turnover is lousy, and our owners cba improving it. But they'll love the fact they won't need to subsidise the club to any great extent any more. Maybe they won't even need to sell it.

But they'll love the fact they won't need to subsidise the club to any great extent any more. Maybe they won't even need to sell it.

I think that's always been my biggest fear. That we will end up stuck with the family and old man Riddler, running us as a permanent low cost, dead in the water operation forever more.

Some form of lasting tribute to the Hemmings legacy. I can already imagine Craig saying "We so, so wish we could have done more, but our hands are now tied financially. The L1 challenge awaits us now, do please play your part!".

I think that's always been my biggest fear. That we will end up stuck with the family and old man Riddler, running us as a permanent low cost, dead in the water operation forever more.

Some form of lasting tribute to the Hemmings legacy. I can already imagine Craig saying "We so, so wish we could have done more, but our hands are now tied financially. The L1 challenge awaits us now, do please play your part!".
Yep, I see this as a much more likely endgame than them managing to sell the thing, or to drag it any nearer to the Prem than it is right now.

Yep, I see this as a much more likely endgame than them managing to sell the thing, or to drag it any nearer to the Prem than it is right now.
I don't disagree with you. However, I do expect the Riddler to retire soon, probably this Summer.

I just don't see that scenario as being an "endgame". We'ld be in League 1 - but still in business and we would all start wondering whether we can push for promotion, should fear relegation or would simply swap mid-table Championship for mid-table League 1.

At some stage Hemmings either need to sell, or remodel the club as a develop and resell strategy that could eventually become sustainable.

We are in phase 1. Reduce costs, hopefully retain income. I guess this will last until end of next season (Summer 2024), but possibly longer.

Phase 2 is reduce costs further after income reduced to L1 levels. (1-2 seasons after relegation to L1)

Phase 3 is hopefully where the rebuild really starts.

I don't disagree with you. However, I do expect the Riddler to retire soon, probably this Summer.

I just don't see that scenario as being an "endgame". We'ld be in League 1 - but still in business and we would all start wondering whether we can push for promotion, should fear relegation or would simply swap mid-table Championship for mid-table League 1.

At some stage Hemmings either need to sell, or remodel the club as a develop and resell strategy that could eventually become sustainable.

We are in phase 1. Reduce costs, hopefully retain income. I guess this will last until end of next season (Summer 2024), but possibly longer.

Phase 2 is reduce costs further after income reduced to L1 levels. (1-2 seasons after relegation to L1)

Phase 3 is hopefully where the rebuild really starts.
There is no Phase 3. We would just settle as a perpetual lower-mid-table L1 club, because that's where our break-even point is. The owners would be under no pressure to sell the club if it wasn't costing them millions to subsidise any more - which in L1 or L2 it wouldn't be, not with the SCMP rules in place down there.

Even if we managed to stay up for a few years, when the proposed new SCMP-like spending rules eventually come into force in the Championship, the club would again not be costing the owners millions to subsidise any more, so they'd again be under no pressure to sell it.

The only question is, will they remain happy with subsidising us as a Championship club (albeit at a reduced level each year) until those rules come in - I suspect that's a decision that will be made by results on the field anyway, because cutting their contribution will only end one way.

What makes you think Ridsdale has any plans to retire?

There is no Phase 3. We would just settle as a perpetual lower-mid-table L1 club, because that's where our break-even point is. The owners would be under no pressure to sell the club if it wasn't costing them millions to subsidise any more - which in L1 or L2 it wouldn't be, not with the SCMP rules in place down there.

Even if we managed to stay up for a few years, when the proposed new SCMP-like spending rules eventually come into force in the Championship, the club would again not be costing the owners millions to subsidise any more, so they'd again be under no pressure to sell it.

The only question is, will they remain happy with subsidising us as a Championship club (albeit at a reduced level each year) until those rules come in - I suspect that's a decision that will be made by results on the field anyway, because cutting their contribution will only end one way.

What makes you think Ridsdale has any plans to retire?
I am determined to be more optimistic than you, Thracia .. which is quite a low bar!

If we drop to our natural level (league 1) we will have some room to plant the seeds of growth.

Ridsdale is about to turn 71. He will retire in the coming few years, which is what we are discussing. I'm not saying he'll retire next week as I have no idea what he thinks about it. But, if the atmosphere is toxic, the club becomes boring and he doesn't need the money, I'm confident he will retire sooner rather than later.

I am determined to be more optimistic than you, Thracia .. which is quite a low bar!

If we drop to our natural level (league 1) we will have some room to plant the seeds of growth.

Ridsdale is about to turn 71. He will retire in the coming few years, which is what we are discussing. I'm not saying he'll retire next week as I have no idea what he thinks about it. But, if the atmosphere is toxic, the club becomes boring and he doesn't need the money, I'm confident he will retire sooner rather than later.
Why is League One our natural level? We've spent 23 years out of 123 (18.7%) of our history in League 1 and 5 years in League 2. 95 out of 123 years in the top 2 divisions. I would argue we are currently exactly at our level.

Even in recent history, since 2000 we've spent 19 of 23 years in this league.