PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Extinction Rebellion

Caught this on R4 on the way home
Whenever I shop around for help with retro fit insulation, alternative heating, solar panels etc, there is seldom little help. Steve Backshall, the TV nature presenter, set out to build his own sustainable house.
The experience he found to be extremely frustrating. Unbelievable how difficult it is to do, it really shouldn't be that way.
This is a really good account of what happened and where we are up to as a country with this. Almost total neglect from the government who declined to take part in the program.

Caught this on R4 on the way home
Whenever I shop around for help with retro fit insulation, alternative heating, solar panels etc, there is seldom little help. Steve Backshall, the TV nature presenter, set out to build his own sustainable house.
The experience he found to be extremely frustrating. Unbelievable how difficult it is to do, it really shouldn't be that way.
This is a really good account of what happened and where we are up to as a country with this. Almost total neglect from the government who declined to take part in the program.
To be fair, that isn't just a UK problem - sustainable housing is still difficult and expensive. All about economy of scale, developing expertise, testing building materials, changing building regulations/standards, and developing circular economies.

Although I suspect that the UK government isn't helping as much as it could. They need a much better, joined up approach.

To be fair, that isn't just a UK problem - sustainable housing is still difficult and expensive. All about economy of scale, developing expertise, testing building materials, changing building regulations/standards, and developing circular economies.

Although I suspect that the UK government isn't helping as much as it could. They need a much better, joined up approach.
That did come across in the program. However there are currently no grants available here for retrofit insulation or heat pumps, the government pulled them all. The point was also made that retro fit will more than pay for itself economically over a period of time.
That gesture appears to have knocked public confidence, if the government doesn't back it then there must be a problem or it won't deliver.
Well worth a listen.
Covers the issue in some depth.

That did come across in the program. However there are currently no grants available here for retrofit insulation or heat pumps, the government pulled them all. The point was also made that retro fit will more than pay for itself economically over a period of time.
That gesture appears to have knocked public confidence, if the government doesn't back it then there must be a problem or it won't deliver.
Well worth a listen.
Covers the issue in some depth.
Will try although time is at a premium - have to listen to a lot of work-related stuff at the moment in my spare time. Not sure about the retro-fitting - not something I have looked into deeply (although I don't doubt what you are saying), but building a sustainable home from scratch is still very difficult in most countries. A lot of things need to come together to make it more viable and even the standard.

This is stupidity:

Apart from the fact that it pisses off people who generally agree (most gardeners are pro-environment), the gobshite doesn't seem to understand that gardens actually help to mitigate flooding by absorbing surface runoff.

Like many obnoxious activists, they are damaging the cause they claim to support.

This is stupidity:

Apart from the fact that it pisses off people who generally agree (most gardeners are pro-environment), the gobshite doesn't seem to understand that gardens actually help to mitigate flooding by absorbing surface runoff.

Like many obnoxious activists, they are damaging the cause they claim to support.

I sit in my garden, which, in parts, has been rewilded, enjoying seeing the Beas flying from flower to flower collecting pollen to make honey.

I understand their protest and its a peceful way of making it but OMG talk about not helping your cause.

I sit in my garden, which, in parts, has been rewilded, enjoying seeing the Beas flying from flower to flower collecting pollen to make honey.

I understand their protest and its a peceful way of making it but OMG talk about not helping your cause.
Yup - for me, it is one of the problems when activists become so fanatic about a single topic that they see everything through that lens. Gardens are usually a good thing - they mitigate the many other environmental issues that have nothing to do with oil!

I love bees - good on you for giving them a hand.

Yup - for me, it is one of the problems when activists become so fanatic about a single topic that they see everything through that lens. Gardens are usually a good thing - they mitigate the many other environmental issues that have nothing to do with oil!

I love bees - good on you for giving them a hand.
we have some mason Bees nesting in an extractor fan, right now. No problem theyll be here a few weeks and then move on. Ive taped up the inside of it, they become disorientated when they get in the house.

I often see posts on Facebook about people having problems with mason bees, I just tell them to ignore them, they arent aggressive and then, just like that, theyll be gone.
Most things leave you alone if you leave them alone - the only insects I take issue with are mosquitoes and horseflies!.

I often see posts on Facebook about people having problems with mason bees, I just tell them to ignore them, they arent aggressive and then, just like that, theyll be gone.

That's not the experience I had with them Phil........ They were dive bombing the brickwork and got into the cavity and then into the false ceiling space . Found numerous dead ones in the bathroom.... And they returned the following year and did the same again and buggered up all the pointing. They were going bonkers. We had to get renokil in to spray .......... The third year they returned it was to do the same to our next door neighbours ( pressumably they remembered and didn't want spraying again) who's a complete arsehole so I didn't mind. :)

we have some mason Bees nesting in an extractor fan, right now. No problem theyll be here a few weeks and then move on. Ive taped up the inside of it, they become disorientated when they get in the house.
Got bumble bees living in our wall cavity. Once upon a time Id have freaked and run a mile if they came near. The other day I was sat working on a small flowering tree and they were buzzing around happily leaving me alone. I was quite proud of myself for staying calm, it’s taken a lifetime not to be bothered by them. Wasps are still b@&tards though.

Got bumble bees living in our wall cavity. Once upon a time Id have freaked and run a mile if they came near. The other day I was sat working on a small flowering tree and they were buzzing around happily leaving me alone. I was quite proud of myself for staying calm, it’s taken a lifetime not to be bothered by them. Wasps are still b@&tards though.
The wasps and hornets here are pretty chilled - until the autumn when they eat grapes left on the vine that have started fermenting. They get pissed out of their heads and want to fight all the time.

Great news today that ofgenitals has reduced the price of energy to keep us alive........ Not when we needed it but now...when the weathers picked up and no fuckers using it. .... What a really corrupt Country we live in.

Great news today that ofgenitals has reduced the price of energy to keep us alive........ Not when we needed it but now...when the weathers picked up and no fuckers using it. .... What a really corrupt Country we live in.
And the government support just ended, so this represents a grand saving of about six quid a year.

This is stupidity:

Thought they made their point quite well. Peaceful, non-violent and relevant since gardens as we know them are endangered as climate change continues to accelerate.

And the whole point of a protest is to get publicity so it was successful too.

I’d consider the climate emergency to be slightly more important to all of mankind than one particular garden at a flower show.

Thought the real clown in the video was the idiot cooling them off on such a warm day with the hose. They must have enjoyed that.

Speaking of the climate changing did anyone see the report today of the worrying slow down of the Southern Ocean overturning circulation? - a 30% drop since the 1990s as a result of melting Antarctic ice which scientists expect to have drastic impacts including increasing sea levels, altering weather patterns and depriving marine ecosystems of vital nutrients.

I consider those still greedily profiteering from new oil and gas exploration and taxpayer grants as a bigger threat to us than these three well meaning women.

Agree totally about biodiversity and wildlife friendly gardening and the value of plants but sadly I’ve seen far too many gardeners waging chemical warfare on their plots to believe most are pro-environment.

Thought they made their point quite well. Peaceful, non-violent and relevant since gardens as we know them are endangered as climate change continues to accelerate.

And the whole point of a protest is to get publicity so it was successful too.

I’d consider the climate emergency to be slightly more important to all of mankind than one particular garden at a flower show.

Thought the real clown in the video was the idiot cooling them off on such a warm day with the hose. They must have enjoyed that.

Speaking of the climate changing did anyone see the report today of the worrying slow down of the Southern Ocean overturning circulation? - a 30% drop since the 1990s as a result of melting Antarctic ice which scientists expect to have drastic impacts including increasing sea levels, altering weather patterns and depriving marine ecosystems of vital nutrients.

I consider those still greedily profiteering from new oil and gas exploration and taxpayer grants as a bigger threat to us than these three well meaning women.

Agree totally about biodiversity and wildlife friendly gardening and the value of plants but sadly I’ve seen far too many gardeners waging chemical warfare on their plots to believe most are pro-environment.
I tried killing weeds with heat, apparently if you hit a weed with extreme heat, it wipes it out. I tried it and it did have an effect. Took a while for stuff to grow back, but that will be the seeds landing again, but I saved the bees

I used to pay £115 a month combined. It went up to £211 when it all went tits up. After 12 months of that I'm £350 quid in credit! So now am going to either demand the surplus back or reduce my DD by £40 a month.

I thought they'd poured a huge amount of paint and completely destroyed a garden. That is clearly not the case.
Looks extremely tame to me. Just grabbed the attention, cameras rolled and they said their piece. I have no problem with that.

Vast majority of people have their heads buried in the sand. Seems it's only Attenborough who gets heard, he pulls his punches, that's before the 'acceptable' face of the media dilutes the message.

Another thing guys, lay off the persecution of wasps. They are declining at the same rate as bees and they are just as important as pollinators. Plus they predate other insects helping the balance ecosystems.
Domesticated bees are far more destructive.
If we did a risk assessment on wasps, compared the amount of encounters with them, with the amount of times stung, it's a very low probability. Their sting is one none lethal protection against their enemies who indiscriminately destroy their nests. There needs to be some regulation or guidance as to when its necessary to destroy them and when it's appropriate to let them bee (sic).
Spiders as well! Human beings have got to stop this narcissism-we are not the only species which has the right to exist.

On the other hand I'm glad the Asian hornet hasn't made it this far up north yet. Plus horse flies are wankers!