PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Confirmed Hughes gets his one year extension

Was our best defender the previous two seasons imo, but he isn’t good enough anymore. None of these defenders should be getting an extension.

Hes to unreliable for me and doesn't seem able to play consistently

I'd happily have him for the Cunningham role in the squad as cover/back up. But don't think he can play 40 games a season now

It is noticeable how Best has played best with him by his side. But yeah think he needs to be phased out as a starter.

Same with Storey. Back up player, not a starter for a team with top 6 ambition

Probably deserves another year, but he's not been at his usual standard this year, i'd hope that by the end of this contract we'd have sorted out our defence and signed a few better players to replace the ones we currently have, but i expect to be seeing a similar tweet from the club this time next year

We already knew about this one after the summer when Peter said he had another 12 months from January, again the easy option and i dont really see him being first choice left centre back/left back for much longer when Greg and Bauer go and we hopefully sign 2 top centre backs.

Half of our squad will be drawing their pensions with us at this rate.

I thought the aim was to get players in to improve the squad to push us up the table and into the premier league?

Not extend contracts on ageing defenders who already spend a chunk of the season injured, and who have been part of a defence that has conceded 44 league goals already this season.

I mean yeah he is probably our best defender on his day but it's not really saying alot.

Pleased for him but yeah seems like a typical easy fix for north end kind of deal

Half of our squad will be drawing their pensions with us at this rate.

I thought the aim was to get players in to improve the squad to push us up the table and into the premier league?

Not extend contracts on ageing defenders who already spend a chunk of the season injured, and who have been part of a defence that has conceded 44 league goals already this season.

I mean yeah he is probably our best defender on his day but it's not really saying alot.

Pleased for him but yeah seems like a typical easy fix for north end kind of deal

Hopefully it still is the aim to strengthen, if so keeping Hughes as a back up would make sense.