PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Confirmed Hughes gets his one year extension

Hopefully it still is the aim to strengthen, if so keeping Hughes as a back up would make sense.
I doubt we've signed up Whatmough (2026), Storey (2025), Lindsay (2025), Hughes (2024), to then go and buy a couple of first choice centrebacks.

I think if anyone's expecting more than one cheap back up left sided centre-back and one guy who can play both RCB & RWB, you're gonna be disappointed.

IF he's not going to be first choice next season then I'm absolutely fine with it as he's a decent backup at this level, on a 1 year extension, but he should definitely not be our main starter from next season. But I'm not too hopeful on that. So I'll be judging the decision fully then.

IF he's not going to be first choice next season then I'm absolutely fine with it as he's a decent backup at this level, on a 1 year extension, but he should definitely not be our main starter from next season. But I'm not too hopeful on that. So I'll be judging the decision fully then.

Potentially first choice if injury free.

That’s a mountain size if.

Potentially first choice if injury free.

That’s a mountain size if
Personally think there's been a bit of a decline in performance from him even without injuries, and he'll be 32 in the summer, so I think this should be his last year and it should be as a backup/rotation option, replacing Cunningham's role, then we get a new one in to be starting.

Whether we get that or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Sadly feels like he's on the decline after being a very solid player for us. Form and injuries over the past year have weakened his position in the side for me. Need to start looking at some long term replacements across the back line ASAP.

I doubt we've signed up Whatmough (2026), Storey (2025), Lindsay (2025), Hughes (2024), to then go and buy a couple of first choice centrebacks.

I think if anyone's expecting more than one cheap back up left sided centre-back and one guy who can play both RCB & RWB, you're gonna be disappointed.

that doesn't look great.

Whatmough I haven't seen enough of him in his preffered position to make a full judgement. But all of them are back up players at best for any other team with top 6 aspirations

Don’t think anyone would be too fussed if Greg hadn’t been extended and Hughes was going to be the rotation option

But he’s comfortably first (and usually only) choice and hasn’t really been good enough this season even when he’s been fit

that doesn't look great.

Whatmough I haven't seen enough of him in his preffered position to make a full judgement. But all of them are back up players at best for any other team with top 6 aspirations
As you say back up at best for other teams with top six aspirations the fact we don’t have that makes me wonder why we’ve extended their contracts.🤔😱

Not upset with this at all. Recent form has slid a little bit but other than a few stinker's he's been a steady eddy since arriving.
The forward thinking thing to do now would be to bed Kian Best in to the team, identify some talent to bring in and work on from league 1 and league 2 and let Hughsey mentor them whilst seeing out his new contract.

I've no problem at all with the Hughes extension because he's probably the most effective defender we have when he's fit. " When fit " is the issue though and yet again it's another bone idle , easy option rather than looking to improve the team by making a serious decision and saying goodbye and thanks. And we all know that there are far more deserving cases to be given a thanks and goodbye to but we won't.

Comfortable club this ! And has been for a long time.

Well we could actually sell some players instead of letting them go for free. Even nominal fees. We need a new defence but Lindsay and Storey would do a great job in League One.

Well we could actually sell some players instead of letting them go for free. Even nominal fees. We need a new defence but Lindsay and Storey would do a great job in League One.
No one in L1 can afford the wages we are paying, unless we supplement the wages. Those four defenders aren't going anywhere imho. Cos they're not on the wishlist of any championship club.

Last edited:
Usually needs a run of games to get up to top form.
Does that and then invariably gets injured.
Still a useful championship player so happy enough.