PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Ryan Lowe Thread!

The problem with the talk about constraints for Lowe is that he's working with fewer constraints than the previous managers and doing no better. Also if he can't work within our constraints then he won't achieve success here anyway.

Whatever constraints Lowe has, he's been given the freedom to spend bigger than we have done previously on players and has been given the freedom to appoint a bunch of staff for the backroom. He doesn't have to work under Trevor Hemmings either who could suddenly sanction money towards signing David Nugent but won't sanction the money for good signings. If we're comparing Lowe to our previous managers under the Hemmings family, he's been given a great deal.

We've been unlucky with injuries but injuries hit every team. If we had depth at RWB then we would have less of a problem in central midfield. We'd have someone playing RWB so both Potts and Browne wouldn't be as tired and susceptible to injuries. They could then be available to play in centre mid. Our central midfield issues are the knock-on effect of us not having proper cover at RWB. It would also help if we didn't waste wages on players who aren't contributing. I'm not sure which role Ben Woodburn is meant to be providing cover for considering he's not been playing despite our midfield issues. Evans and Stewart haven't really contributed much this season. Couldn't we have loaned out Stewart and brought someone else in?

I'm not sure if we suffer more injuries than other clubs or not but there are ways to prevent some of them from happening. Considering we're a low budgeted side, couldn't we look at ways of maximising the fitness of our players to give us the competitive edge we need? I'd imagine it'd be cheaper than buying more players.

The problem with talking about where we could've been if we didn't have so many injuries is that we have to accept that we didn't make the playoffs and look at what caused us to miss out. Decisions have consequences and lessons have to be learned otherwise it'll be our 10th year of midtable mediocrity next season. We shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and say "maybe next year"

I have been told that our running stats and fitness levels are actually up on previous seasons and some of the highest in the division....

our previous fitness guru was Tom Little who left us to join Sheff U in the Prem and their injuries are up and their fitness levels are down.....but I don't know why.
And yet we're no where near being promoted, and Sheffield United have been promoted.

Tom left us in 2022 to go to Sheffield United when they were in the Championship. They were promoted a year later.

RL will always play it safe and be defensive as he only has to make sure we stay in this league and he has a job for life…he has no incentive to push for promotion which is why he won’t allow his teams to take an attacking risk as there is no need. If we did get promoted and then kept getting smashed in the prem every week he would lose his job after a few weeks..so why bother when he can take the easy route and get his free all expenses paid holiday in Spain every year with the lads.
If he could get North End, the model of mediocrity and little ambition promoted, other clubs would be queuing up for him, he would have no worries regard future.

And yet we're no where near being promoted, and Sheffield United have been promoted.

Tom left us in 2022 to go to Sheffield United when they were in the Championship. They were promoted a year later.
maybe they could afford better players ???????????

All I know is our stats were up the season after he left.....

his replacement at deepdale has been promoted at least 3 times with 3 different clubs.....

If he could get North End, the model of mediocrity and little ambition promoted, other clubs would be queuing up for him, he would have no worries regard future.

You actually think he has any worries about his future?
I've said before from an outsider looking in, little old Preston with one of the smallest budgets had a possibility of the play offs down to the last 4-5 games. Then lost out with a squad decimated by injury. A potential suitor doesn't see the football week in and week out. What They'll do is ask Ryan how he wants to play and he'll tell them and also add that it wasn't always possible at North End due to the financial restraints and that he had to make do.

There will be other teams looking at him no doubt. Again the above isn't necessarily my opinion on how he's done but it's how he can and will be marketed if he wants out.

no idea...

you certainly do less running with the long ball system Millwall and Cardiff often use and Rotherham will next season..... but you need at least 1 CF who can head and none of our 5 can.

I disagree

You do more running when you don’t have possession. It’s no coincidence our 2 wingbacks are fucked.

People say we are unfit but knowing people at the club I’d disagree. The reason we look out on our feet and the end of games is because we are chasing shadows for long periods.

He obviously doesn't deserve the sack but he's also done nothing to warrant a better club wanting him. Just a stalemate, resulting in the same shit every year.

Lowe is just happy to be back in the north west in a no pressure job.

If season tickets went back up to £400 we'd average about 9,000 home fans under this dull regime.

I disagree

You do more running when you don’t have possession. It’s no coincidence our 2 wingbacks are fucked.

People say we are unfit but knowing people at the club I’d disagree. The reason we look out on our feet and the end of games is because we are chasing shadows for long periods.
I dont really think we disagree too much.... long ball teams tend to sit deeper with big CB's (the Flints and Morrisons of this world) and go long to win set pieces.

teams who try to play football but cant keep possession (like we cant with our forwards lack of control) can spend too long closing down out of possession... I agree.
doesnt mean we arent fit though..

maybe they could afford better players ???????????

All I know is our stats were up the season after he left.....

his replacement at deepdale has been promoted at least 3 times with 3 different clubs.....

and he has managed to be part of a team that is just ordinary at best with no sign of promotion, a team that is usually pretty crap second half of every game (Rotherham excluded) and have their summer hols booked early each April!!!!!

You basically just guess stuff giving of the impression that you "know people" and have the ear of some at Deepdale!!!!!!!

I dont really think we disagree too much.... long ball teams tend to sit deeper with big CB's (the Flints and Morrisons of this world) and go long to win set pieces.

teams who try to play football but cant keep possession (like we cant with our forwards lack of control) can spend too long closing down out of possession... I agree.
doesnt mean we arent fit though..
We've attempted 18,214 passes this season. (19th lowest in the division). 12,762 were completed passes. (22nd lowest in the division)

We are in the bottom four teams for completed short, medium and long passes. This isn't because our forwards lack control.

It's because our tactical approach doesn't seek to maintain possession. We don't pass out from the back. We've had the 22nd lowest amount of touches in the defensive third of the pitch.

It's all about getting the ball forward. Woodman has hit the 2nd most long balls of any goalkeeper (only behind Rotherham's goalie)

As a team we've attempted the 2nd most long balls in the division and are by definition a long ball team.

Last edited:
We've attempted 18,214 passes this season. (19th lowest in the division). 12,762 were completed passes. (22nd lowest in the division)

We are in the bottom four teams for completed short, medium and long passes. This isn't because our forwards lack control.

It's because our tactical approach doesn't seek to maintain possession. We don't pass out from the back. We've had the 22nd lowest amount of touches in the defensive third of the pitch.

It's all about getting the ball forward. Woodman has hit the 2nd most long balls of any goalkeeper (only behind Rotherham's goalie)

As a team we've attempted the 2nd most long balls in the division and are by definition a long ball team.
No idea if your stats and numbers are correct but... we do pass out from the back a bloody lot.

Freddie rolls / throws it out to one of the back 3 and we start from there working our way to the halfway line.

I appreciate that you don't attend Deepdale due to location but trust me, we do try and build out from the back.

Freddie rarely hoofs it forward.

No idea if your stats and numbers are correct but... we do pass out from the back a bloody lot.

Freddie rolls / throws it out to one of the back 3 and we start from there working our way to the halfway line.

I appreciate that you don't attend Deepdale due to location but trust me, we do try and build out from the back.

I've missed one home game this season.

I have watched countless teams regularly pass the ball out from the back. North End aren't one of them.

Being 22nd for touches in the defensive third supports that opinion. It might be a "bloody lot" in your view but compared to other teams it isn't.

What actually happens is the ball is passed from Woodman to one of the defenders , they then pass it slowly sideways to each other for a while before one of them launches a 50 yard diagonal in the vague direction of the wings . Long ball for sure .

I've missed one home game this season.

I have watched countless teams regularly pass the ball out from the back. North End aren't one of them.

Being 22nd for touches in the defensive third supports that opinion. It might be a "bloody lot" in your view but compared to other teams it isn't.
All I'm saying is that Freddie doesn't launch it 80 yards.

We pass sideways up to the halfway line as I posted.

After that, it down to the attacking players to make movement into space. Often, they don't but when they do do so, then we can perform quite well.

We aren't exactly a Route One Crazy Gang Wimbledon or a John Beck Cambridge era team...

After that, it down to the attacking players to make movement into space. Often, they don't but when they do do so, then we can perform quite well.

We aren't exactly a Route One Crazy Gang Wimbledon or a John Beck Cambridge era team...
No we definitely aren't, both Wimbledon and Cambridge were entertaining.

Our goalkeeper plays more long balls than 22 other goalkeepers in the division. If you have any evidence to refute that - please let me know.

I didn't say we were like the Wimbledon of old. I said we are by definition a long ball team due to all the passing stats available - short, medium and long.

How many times a game does Woodman boot it 50 yards to the touchline for a Potts or Brady type to try to win a header? More than most teams I'd wager.

As a team we don't seek to dictate possession through slow build up from the back. No statistics would support an opinion that suggests otherwise.

Our centrebacks don't have the necessary ability on the ball. So our penchant for long balls is partly a needs must scenario.

Our goalkeeper plays more long balls than 22 other goalkeepers in the division. If you have any evidence to refute that - please let me know.

I didn't say we were like the Wimbledon of old. I said we are by definition a long ball team due to all the passing stats available - short, medium and long.

How many times a game does Woodman boot it 50 yards to the touchline for a Potts or Brady type to try to win a header? More than most teams I'd wager.

As a team we don't seek to dictate possession through slow build up from the back. No statistics would support an opinion that suggests otherwise.

Our centrebacks don't have the necessary ability on the ball. So our penchant for long balls is partly a needs must scenario.

It's quite clear we're one of the more direct sides in the league but TBH I'm not even bothered if we play long ball or not. I'm more bothered we're rubbish at it.

If we aspire to play it long into the wings, it would help if we played Wingers. Alan Irvine's side was quite direct but you could guarantee Ross Wallace could get the ball and whip in an inch perfect cross to Jon Parkin.

If we aspire to play it long down the middle of the park, we need our strikers to be much more capable in the air and trapping the ball. We also need to find a way to get the midfield up and ready to join them.

If we aspire to be a long ball side, we need to be much more defensively solid than we are now, especially when we won't have the ball for most of the game. We regularly ship 3+ goals a game and aren't great at keeping clean sheets.

If we don't want to be a long ball side, we need to get more out of our defenders as ball players and Freddie needs to improve his distribution.