Recent content by ben damph

1. ben damph

This corona virus thing...

When you say pre existing immunity due to previous exposure, which disease(s) are you talking about?
  2. ben damph

Well test and trace has limited deaths in Vietnam to 35, and the current level of transmission is 0. So it's not worked perfectly, but it's done a hell of a lot better than the UK's "method". Imposed a lot less restrictions on people's lives, and has isolated individuals for 14 days rather than...
  3. ben damph

And did you find his criticism of the UK justified? Particularly in regard to the slow initial response and the failure to get a working tracing system?
  4. ben damph

Don't know either of them. I've read the article, and while it doesn't tell the whole story, I can't see anything he's got wrong. Have you read it, or just dismissed it on the basis of the author?
  5. ben damph

Perhaps not the best example of a success story https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/04/asia/japan-covid-state-of-emergency-intl-hnk/index.html
  6. ben damph

I'm sure they help they slow transmission, but I don't believe a lock down can remove the virus completely . Test and trace and isolate properly can do that. Its big weakness is that you need to close your borders for this to work unless all countries are doing the same thing. I'm sure the...
  7. ben damph

Not a great fan of lock downs actually. As I've posted before it's a blunt tool and absolutely a last resort. We've had 5 outbreaks now - all stopped but only 1 of them used a national lock down to do it. It worked, but it was done VERY early - (total cases over 5 outbreaks and all repatriations...
  8. ben damph

From my point of view, the way they've dealt with it in Vietnam has been better in all aspects. Deaths are low, the economy is still growing and the vast majority of the country has been restriction free since early May - which also means the rest of the health service is able to treat people as...
  9. ben damph

I've had absolutely no restrictions since May 4th - I've had to fill in some forms with info about other cities I've visited in the last 14 days when there's an outbreak. In terms of who I'm allowed to meet and where and in what numbers it's been just like it was before.
  10. ben damph

You don't even need to lockdown - Vietnam has had 4 separate outbreaks and stopped 3 of them without locking down. The other was used as a circuit breaker - but that was when they had maybe 20 untraced possible spreaders rather than thousands. As I posted above, the key is rapid tracing and...
  11. ben damph

You still can't get in.;) The big difference here is tracing and isolation. The tracing works and they use it to take suspected carriers out of circulation, which allows the rest of the country to carry on near enough as normal. Key points - start tracing and isolating from day 1. There is no...
  12. ben damph

Hi Jake....
  13. ben damph

WHO REMEMBERS?

14. ben damph

Just announced today that domestic transmission has started again - a flight attendant from Vietnam Airlines breaking the isolation rules. All international flights suspended as a result. The huge difference here is that the Gov have already found 200 first and second level contacts of the...
  15. ben damph

Ironic that the "freedom loving" UK has suffered huge numbers of deaths, a wrecked economy and still ended up imposing more restrictions than the countries that cracked down "unacceptably" hard early on.