PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - West Brom v PNE - 25/02/2020 - KO:20:00 - Championship

How can people say that’s a red?

Fucking hate some of my own fans sometimes. It’s an appalling decision.

That said, we’ve been fucking gash anyway.
Correct Double J, awful decision but on tonight's performance, it wouldn't have made any difference. 2 goals gifted, Johnstone not even tested, constantly giving up possession carelessly

I think to win the play-offs we're also going to have to shoot.

I don't think finishing 6th on its own will be enough.

It's nice to say "it was a free hit".

But we didn't hit anything.

Agree.

I’d like to see us do a lot more defending in the attacking third. I seem to remember the high press we used to employ was an extremely successful strategy. We’d regularly win the ball back high upfield and consequently create lots of chances.

Quite entertaining and exciting too.

The biggest thing I don’t get from this performance is that when we played them at home, we set up to stop Pereira and Diangana and tonight we gave Pereira and Robinson the freedom of the pitch. We played into their hands.

Let‘s face it, automatic promotion was just a pipe dream, whereas the playoffs are readily achievable, and if we stick with that view, very little damage has been done especially with Bristol City. If anything, our chances of the playoffs have strengthened (as long as Blackburn & Swansea don’t win tomorrow) as we are still 3 points clear of seventh with another game gone.

Why one Earth did we not bring on Stockley and Sinclair at half-time? It was patently obvious that we were lacking strength but that their defence was not entirely secure - at that point the game was still rescuable. Yet we lamely persisted with a formation that was simply not posing a threat. That was just rank bad management by AN.

Well beaten by a much better side, made particularly painful by the key role one of our (favourite) old boys played in both goals.
Let’s not go into meltdown. We know we’re punching above our weight and this was the clearest demonstration.
Despite the appallingly partisan commentary on Sky, I thought we had our moments but Robbo took the wind out of our sails from the start and then again, critically, before half time. Thereafter, it looked like damage limitation, especially when Fisher clobbered his old mate. Was perhaps a bit disappointed that Neil didn’t try something different sooner but maybe he wanted to conserve energy for the more important battles ahead.
This forum gets ridiculously excited when we win and equally despondent on nights like this. Let’s just chill and continue to support the club none of us will ever abandon.
And remember...we are still sixth, Brentford and Brizzle had much worse results and Forest kept Cardiff out of range. If we get something at Fulham all will be ridiculously exciting again.

Why are they smacked arses??

We didn’t have one shot on goal, even before Fishers red.

I didn’t expect a win but I expected more quality from us.
They are smacked arses because they can not except we were beaten by a better team this evening . I mean having ago at AN for getting tactics wrong no more excuses comment pathetic . We lost to the team at the top of the league and if some took of those rose tinted specs perhaps they would see they outplayed us .

I am as frustrated as you about the way we played these things happen ,i was at the Reading match at there place now that was dire.

It's not reckless though is it?! Robinson just basically goes over Fishers leg after he's cleared the ball. If that's reckless, then we should make football a non contact sport. An awful decision by a career long awful referee
Here's what the Laws of the game say, its open to interpretation - I'm guessing it won't be rescinded:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Truth is - this is not an isolated poor performance. We've really been poor for quite a few matches recently. On tonights performance I hope we don't go up because this team (and manager) do not have the ability to win just one Premiership game let alone enough to stay up.
You just cheared me up no end there.

Here's what the Laws of the game say, its open to interpretation - I'm guessing it won't be rescinded:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The only excessive force was that of Robinson’s legs propelling himself 8 feet into the air

If I was Rudd I would be well pisse* off with our attacking line.

Not fair on him to take the blows all night while the opposite goal keeper has jack shit to do!
Rumour has it their keeper has been taken to hospital for a check up - allegedly showed signs of frostbite and cramp !

It's not reckless though is it?! Robinson just basically goes over Fishers leg after he's cleared the ball. If that's reckless, then we should make football a non contact sport. An awful decision by a career long awful referee
I didn’t say it was reckless. I merely said that’s what the ref will say. Having just seen it again on sky Fisher plays the ball but follows through into Robinson. A great tackle if it was 1975 but sadly it will now be deemed to be endangering an opponent.

I think it was probably just about a red but Robinson made absolutely certain the referee gave it. He was thumping the ground in pain until the red card came out and (I don’t know why, because Fisher is such a nice chap on the field) he was constantly moaning to the referee from the first whistle about Fisher.

Maybe a bit of a wake up call and I’m not normally one to point out monetary differences but there was a huge gulf tonight - it was almost the haves and the have nots. They should have walked the league last year but had an ordinary manager, this year they’ve invested in a quality manager to get the best out of the millions of pounds they’ve spent and the huge wage earners.

Fulham are very much like West Brom of last year in that they’ve got a hugely expensive squad on massive wages but an ordinary manager not getting the best out of them - there’s no reason why we can’t go there and put tonight to the back of our minds.

The last time I can remember us playing with a high tempo with a good performance over 90 mins was Leeds away.. Nearly 2 months ago.!!! Yes we beat Barnsley 3 0 but that was because we were just clinical. Really starting to worry about the last 11 games