PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a memory of Alan Spavin taking a free kick that led to a goal. He had the ball trapped between his feet, with his back to goal and when the whistle blew he flicked the ball up for someone to volley home. Can someone confirm this and who scored the goal. It was into the Townsend goal.

I don't recall that at Deepdale. I do remember Willie Carr and Ernie Hunt did it at Coventry.

I must admit, it's only through looking at that programme that I realised he'd worn the no.8 shirt! From coming into the team in the early 60s, he was inside left, no.10, and of course wore that shirt in the '64 final. I think the numbers associated with certain positions became less important from the late 60s. For instance Tommy Smith at Liverpool often wore no.10, despite being a defensive player.

yes , but Liverpool were well known for not following the norms as regards numbers and playing positions.Ray Kennedy played no.5 despite being central midfield.

I always remember North End being more orthodox. (Until we played Warren Joyce and Ian Bogie at 9 Late 80s. )

I can't normally remember what happened last week Sid, but that memory has stuck with me. Used to go on the Town end when it was split down the middle with home and away supporters.

Agree we should have offered Dolan a new contract. However anyone suggesting he would have played for us is a bit deluded. Not getting in over Johnson, Browne or Harrop in that number ten role in a million years. Harrop had more hype surrounding him than Dolan and if Dolan even matches Harrops level I will be surprised. Blackburn simply had space for him that we don’t.

I can't normally remember what happened last week Sid, but that memory has stuck with me. Used to go on the Town end when it was split down the middle with home and away supporters.

Remember Spav's free kick that beat Tunksy when we stuck one in Rotherham's wall? That was mental 👍.

Dolan is playing the right of a 3 for Rovers..... which means he would have to be better than Barky for us..... maybe he is but I wouldnt swap now.

TY prefers the 10 and so should he have replaced DJ so we could sell him to Rangers...... imagine the fall out if DJ goes and an 18 yo kid replaces him.

for 18 months of his Youth Team games I wouldnt have given him a contract, from the last 4 months - pre covid - I probably might, but he wouldnt have wanted to sit in the4 stands for a season..

I suspect, had it been a normal season, Ty might have got an offer (along with Briam Mc but not Joe N) but TH seems to have pulled the plug on deals in covid time.

Agree entirely with that bit

It’s worth noting that this isn’t necessarily a cock up, but rather commendable risk by Blackburn. The only other teams who were considering signing him were Fleetwood and Carlisle, so it’s not like there was a queue of suitors.

It’s also entirely possible he just clicks in their system in a way he wouldn’t elsewhere. Our reliable youth team posters told us whilst he was clearly exciting to watch, his end product clearly wasn’t good enough. Maybe Mowbray and Armstrong were just able to work with him on that

Maybe not risk, they identified a young player that has significant potential at little cost, that’s just good business.

Had enough talk about Dolan, kid wasn’t going to sign a contract no matter what.

The kid wouldn’t have got in the team in the position that he wants to play due to our midfield being up there with one of the best in the league.

Move on, focus on our team rather than crying at the club because we let go a kid who didn’t want to sign and has literally only scored a tap-in against Wycombe.

Dolan is playing the right of a 3 for Rovers..... which means he would have to be better than Barky for us..... maybe he is but I wouldnt swap now.

TY prefers the 10 and so should he have replaced DJ so we could sell him to Rangers...... imagine the fall out if DJ goes and an 18 yo kid replaces him.

for 18 months of his Youth Team games I wouldnt have given him a contract, from the last 4 months - pre covid - I probably might, but he wouldnt have wanted to sit in the4 stands for a season..

I suspect, had it been a normal season, Ty might have got an offer (along with Briam Mc but not Joe N) but TH seems to have pulled the plug on deals in covid time.

Played left v Newcastle during the week.

If posters on here can't see how we fucked up with dolan then I'd say you've never watched the lad play football. It's no coincidence rovers said thank you and hes now playing and scoring for them. Our youth system like our whole system is shite. We didn't even fight to keep a decent talent. Rovers swept and are now buzzing. BTW I think he's 18. Lad will only get better. Pne fuck up again in my eyes. Standard procedure.

Regarding Dolan, even if he’d have stayed do we really think he’d have had any First Team playing time here? No chance! We have 3 ex youth players in our squad who hardly even make the bench. There’s things fundamentally wrong at our club. We won’t pay what’s needed to get quality in & we won’t try give opportunities to some players we already have. Not to give our younger players more minutes in pre season is criminal, what did we have to lose? Dolan was given the chance at Plastics & so far he’s taken it, fair play to the lad.

I have a memory of Alan Spavin taking a free kick that led to a goal. He had the ball trapped between his feet, with his back to goal and when the whistle blew he flicked the ball up for someone to volley home. Can someone confirm this and who scored the goal. It was into the Townsend goal.

Did we not score one something similar at Turd Moor, maybe prime Nugent time, maybe Grezza involved?

Jeez, not only have we not signed anyone but now we have to wade through hundreds of unrelated posts on the ‘transfer and rumours’ thread in the faint 0.001% hope that we will actually sign someone. 🤪

Had enough talk about Dolan, kid wasn’t going to sign a contract no matter what.

The kid wouldn’t have got in the team in the position that he wants to play due to our midfield being up there with one of the best in the league.

Move on, focus on our team rather than crying at the club because we let go a kid who didn’t want to sign and has literally only scored a tap-in against Wycombe.
He even said he might not of signed if he was offered a contract so why can't we move on from it

Regarding Dolan, even if he’d have stayed do we really think he’d have had any First Team playing time here? No chance! We have 3 ex youth players in our squad who hardly even make the bench. There’s things fundamentally wrong at our club. We won’t pay what’s needed to get quality in & we won’t try give opportunities to some players we already have. Not to give our younger players more minutes in pre season is criminal, what did we have to lose? Dolan was given the chance at Plastics & so far he’s taken it, fair play to the lad.

perhaps this is the bigger problem, our manager cannot identify real talent, he would much rather play his favs and not give our decent young players a chance?

Agree entirely with that bit

It’s worth noting that this isn’t necessarily a cock up, but rather commendable risk by Blackburn. The only other teams who were considering signing him were Fleetwood and Carlisle, so it’s not like there was a queue of suitors.

It’s also entirely possible he just clicks in their system in a way he wouldn’t elsewhere. Our reliable youth team posters told us whilst he was clearly exciting to watch, his end product clearly wasn’t good enough. Maybe Mowbray and Armstrong were just able to work with him on that
Works both ways in judging players - Barky was at Morecambe

Reactions: OB1
Status
Not open for further replies.