PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Team for Millwall

Slightly off topic but you can get 3/1 on Reading away t'Plastics tonight. Makes one of tonight's games a bit more entertaining.

I think we will win both games this week.

I mentioned a few days ago that I'm not opposed to us using the back 3 more frequently to get the players more adept at it.

If it is something we stick with I can see Neil pushing for new fullbacks in January
If we use a three-at-the-back formation more frequently then the last thing we are going to need is more fullbacks. I presume you mean wing-backs - a rugby term which never attracts the sort of derision I used to get when I used the term wing-half which is at least a footballing term. At the moment we arguably don't have any players who are ideally suited to that role though Barkhuizen was looking good in it in the game against Stoke. Otherwise if we are not using fullbacks then Fisher can probably be pushed forward as can Rafferty though I didn't think Rafferty looked comfortable in that role on the left on Saturday. Hughes is obviously a more naturally left-sided player but he would probably get stranded upfield too often. After that Harrop might be an option. Browne in truth didn't look all that great on Saturday in the first half when he was playing close to the touchline - we all saw the difference when he moved further in-field in the second half and pushing him way out wide really is a waste of his talents.

Oh where are you Chris Sedgwick -now that we really need you....

I mentioned a few days ago that I'm not opposed to us using the back 3 more frequently to get the players more adept at it.

If it is something we stick with I can see Neil pushing for new fullbacks in January
It is possible that Hughes has signed a new contract

Squad size?
That is potentially an issue but if we shift off Bodin in January then there is a space there. I posted elsewhere yesterday we have enough cover on the RW short term. I would much prefer to see us bring in an attack minded LB to compliment Fisher than another wide player even though we do arguably lack someone with that skill set who is up to Championship pace.

If we are going to be using WBs more there is no real need for a direct Bodin replacement though IMO

If we use a three-at-the-back formation more frequently then the last thing we are going to need is more fullbacks. I presume you mean wing-backs - a rugby term which never attracts the sort of derision I used to get when I used the term wing-half which is at least a footballing term. At the moment we arguably don't have any players who are ideally suited to that role though Barkhuizen was looking good in it in the game against Stoke. Otherwise if we are not using fullbacks then Fisher can probably be pushed forward as can Rafferty though I didn't think Rafferty looked comfortable in that role on the left on Saturday. Hughes is obviously a more naturally left-sided player but he would probably get stranded upfield too often. After that Harrop might be an option. Browne in truth didn't look all that great on Saturday in the first half when he was playing close to the touchline - we all saw the difference when he moved further in-field in the second half and pushing him way out wide really is a waste of his talents.

Oh where are you Chris Sedgwick -now that we really need you....
We don't have any real wingbacks.
Shoehorning doesn't work so why play a system when you don't have the players?

If Barkhuzen starts he must be told to run at there fullbacks not to focus on hanging back as cover. He has the beating of most defenders on his day, but too often he’s more concerned about his defensive duties or rolling back to Rudd from the halfway line. Harrop should be in give Johnson a rest with Saturday in mind

Slightly off topic but you can get 3/1 on Reading away t'Plastics tonight. Makes one of tonight's games a bit more entertaining.

I think we will win both games this week.

Yeah easy money considering how much flat track bullies the Plastics are.

6 points would be amazing but it's just vital to win one of the home games and get the monkey off the back at Deepdale. 4 points would be excellent.