PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Buy your PNE Beer

Seriously, I can't see how you think a 12% ale at a fiver is cheap when you can get a top notch bottle of 12 year old single malt whisky for £40. Your choice obviously, but in my opinion you're getting done. :)
Why buy a Rolex when you can buy a Casio? Why buy an Aston when you can buy a Dacia? Why have wagyu when you can have Asda rump steak? Maybe you should go round telling those guys how much they're getting done too. 🤔

Why buy a Rolex when you can buy a Casio? Why buy an Aston when you can buy a Dacia? Why have wagyu when you can have Asda rump steak? Maybe you should go round telling those guys how much they're getting done too. 🤔
Not the point at all really is it? I am talking about ageing and the care that goes into making the stuff. This craft ale job in the UK is a proper con. Go to Berlin or Prague and see how they do it there and see what the price is - it's so much better and so much cheaper.

Not the point at all really is it? I am talking about ageing and the care that goes into making the stuff. This craft ale job in the UK is a proper con. Go to Berlin or Prague and see how they do it there and see what the price is - it's so much better and so much cheaper.
The imperial stouts I'm talking about are aged though. They are often barrel aged for a couple of years. Sorry mate, you have already said "beer is beer". Pretty dismissive comment about an industry thats massively diverse in its production values and methods. You seem to be clumping "craft beer" into one homogenous entity for some strange reason. I'll leave you to enjoy your red stripe.

I don’t really drink anymore but in my day you’d get a whole crate of 24 beers, a 6 pack of crisps and a box of chocolates for less than the price of 6 cans of this stuff.

That would have been Boddingtons or the such like so not high end but this sort of thing surely can‘t be worth £2.50 a can plus postage?
Not all beer is created equally... the most expensive bit of beer is the hops, then the most expensive bit is the grain. The grain gives the sugar which in turn gives the ABV, the hops give the flavour, bitterness and aroma. Stronger beer costs more to make (more grain). Hoppier beer (particularly beers high in aroma, but not bitter, as is the fashion now) are much much more expensive...

I’m about to brew 40pts of a 6% IPA. The cost for the grain bill is about £15 (~6 kg) and £15 for the hops (300g). So £30 (ex VAT) for the ingredients for 40pts, 75p, At 3% with more emphasis on bitterness and less hoppy aroma, you could halve the grain cost to £7.50 and cut the hops cost to £2.50... literally three times cheaper at just 25p/pint instead.

Obviously there are economies of scale in purchasing etc if you’re a commercial brewery, but let’s face it the brewery in Chorley is closer to my garage in economies of scale than interbev or whoever it is who makes cans of boddingtons... so 6 cans of locally made strong and hoppy good stuff with small economies of scale probably should cost the same as a 24 pack of boddies.

Beauty, or course, is in the eye of the beholder so you might rather the cheaper stuff, ok which case fill your boots and enjoy your beer!

Not all beer is created equally... the most expensive bit of beer is the hops, then the most expensive bit is the grain. The grain gives the sugar which in turn gives the ABV, the hops give the flavour, bitterness and aroma. Stronger beer costs more to make (more grain). Hoppier beer (particularly beers high in aroma, but not bitter, as is the fashion now) are much much more expensive...

I’m about to brew 40pts of a 6% IPA. The cost for the grain bill is about £15 (~6 kg) and £15 for the hops (300g). So £30 (ex VAT) for the ingredients for 40pts, 75p, At 3% with more emphasis on bitterness and less hoppy aroma, you could halve the grain cost to £7.50 and cut the hops cost to £2.50... literally three times cheaper at just 25p/pint instead.

Obviously there are economies of scale in purchasing etc if you’re a commercial brewery, but let’s face it the brewery in Chorley is closer to my garage in economies of scale than interbev or whoever it is who makes cans of boddingtons... so 6 cans of locally made strong and hoppy good stuff with small economies of scale probably should cost the same as a 24 pack of boddies.

Beauty, or course, is in the eye of the beholder so you might rather the cheaper stuff, ok which case fill your boots and enjoy your beer!
Btw, that 75p for a 6% IPA is raw materials cost, ignoring water which isn’t free, energy costs for heating, equipment, labour, canning, distribution, and duty. Margins aren’t big on craft brewing.

Best beer I’ve had was in Lithuania but you’re not wrong.

Much as I like the idea of craft beer, I find that licking my soap tastes like much of the hoppier offerings.

Best beer I’ve had was in Lithuania but you’re not wrong.

Much as I like the idea of craft beer, I find that licking my soap tastes like much of the hoppier offerings.
Each to their own, but it may be that you are having bad craft beer if it tastes like soap... it is a common off flavour from fermentation taking too long and the fatty acids in the trub (the stuff that is left over after brewing, bits of hops, protein and dead yeast). Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap.

Each to their own, but it may be that you are having bad craft beer if it tastes like soap... it is a common off flavour from fermentation taking too long and the fatty acids in the trub (the stuff that is left over after brewing, bits of hops, protein and dead yeast). Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap.

Yep. Nothing wrong with my taste buds.

And the thing is that what you are most probably experiencing in Prague or Berlin is just lager that isn’t shit!

Mostly, although I was surprised by the variety of excellent beers available at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen and there were plenty of darker brews available in Lithuania.

Bottled is far superior to canned beer but even bottle conditioned falls short of proper cask ale served via handpumps.
Craft beers if I understand correctly are similar to real ales in that they are very individual but unlike cask ales they have been pasteurised and are usually served via taps rather than handpumps so the conditioning is via added gas. A poor substitute IMHO.
For the last few months I've been having beer delivered by Gary from The Guild Ale House in 5 pt boxes (like a wine box). They are real ales from mainly local breweries and maintain some of their conditioning (here's a little trick Gary told me - put an inch or so in the bottom of your glass and whizz it for 2-3 secs with a stick blender then top up - perfect pint every time.)
Putting PNE on a tin would not induce me to drink that shit

'Craft Beer' can be cask of keg.

The term refers to small batch brewed beer and not mass produced, often pasteurised, chemically assisted shite like (American) Budweiser, Fosters, Carling, John Smith's, Greene King IPA, Wainwright, Doombar etc. The reason is usually means keg beer is because the term originated in America where cask ale is virtually non-existant.

Modern 'craft' keg beer and it's canned form is not like the pasteurised, lifeless rubbish that almost wiped out cask ale back in the 70s (Watney's Red Barrell, Double Diamond, John Smith/Tetley's/Thwaites' Smooth etc). It's unpasteurised and regularly unfined and since the invention of 'Key Kegs' doesn't have extra CO2 pumped into it during pouring.

I grew up drinking Bods, Wainwrights, London Pride, Deuchars IPA, Doombar and many other cask beer but, as with most things, when beer becomes popular people try to find ways of making it faster and making lots more of it often to detriment of the product. I wouldn't touch any of the above cask beers now because they're not what they used to be or in Bods case, doesn't exist anymore.

The same has happened with 'craft beer' and many of the brands you'll see in supermarkets or on tap in Spoons were once small batch breweries who sold out to the likes of AB Inbev, Marston's, Heineken etc.

Genuine 'craft beer' in cask, keg, bottle or can form can be a delight and well worth the extra you pay over something you can by 24 for £12 in Asda.

As for the PNE beers they originate from the Filling Factory on Buckshaw which is where many breweries send their beer to be kegged/bottled/canned. There isn't an actual brewery there and as said previously, whatever is in the PNE cans will be exactly the same as what is in the Burnley/Plastics/Blackpool/Chorley cans.

You're paying for the label not the beer.

What is everyone's snack of choice to accompany beer?

Can't beat a good pork scratching. Anyone remember the crap ploughman's snack you use to get in pubs. Has anyone tried the hannover baked pretzels you can get in the foreign food section at supermarkets. The honey mustard ones are delicious.

I suppose Lord Edgington has wagyu beef meatballs, foie gras, and shaved black truffles.
A small jar of cockles in vinegar. Morrisons do them at the Fish Counter section. An acquired taste, but very moreish once you've acquired it!

I can remember the guy going round pubs selling seafood many years ago
I can remember that too.
I also remember a couple that used to come in my local on a Friday night, each with a tray of hot homemade pork pies to sell.
A pint of Tetley's bitter in one hand and a warm pork pie in the other, fat dripping all down your face. Those were the days.

I can remember that too.
I also remember a couple that used to come in my local on a Friday night, each with a tray of hot homemade pork pies to sell.
A pint of Tetley's bitter in one hand and a warm pork pie in the other, fat dripping all down your face. Those were the days.

Sounds good does that.

There’s a cracking little pub in Limerick that backs on to the river. After the rugby at Thomond Park, you wander in for some (more) Guinness and they send their kids round with bowls of sausages and black pudding. On the house!

Those were the days indeed!