PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Black life in America

Personal responsibility raefil. I'm sorry those words offend you so much and you would prefer that big government wipe your arse for you, but if the deceased had a) not been driving without licence and insurance, b) not had an outstanding warrant for his arrest c) not resisted arrest and tried to make a run for it, we would never have got to d) incompetent cop pulls out the wrong piece of equipment and kills him.

How can that be "sick"?
Id prefer that big government didnt shoot and kill me me, TBH for the crime of being a dick.

Are victims never at least partially responsible?
Discuss...
I think in this instance, resisting arrest was never going to end well for the victim. The police in the States (or those caught on camera) seem to all be on something judging by how on edge they always are, and mix that with the current hostility about race and police brutality, it's really difficult. However, I get why he might've resisted arrest considering others have ended up dead regardless of resistance. I think he probably thought that he would end up being held to the floor by the three or four officers present - a scenario that has ended badly for several black men. He can't have foreseen being shot in the chest, just as the officer didn't foresee shooting him.

If they seriously reduced gun ownership in the states, they’d hugely improve policing.

Fear does not promote good decision making.
I really hope that happens. Scary how many Americans consider the right to own a gun is a basic human right on a par with the right to vote.
The infamously powerful pro gun lobby.

I think in this instance, resisting arrest was never going to end well for the victim. The police in the States (or those caught on camera) seem to all be on something judging by how on edge they always are, and mix that with the current hostility about race and police brutality, it's really difficult. However, I get why he might've resisted arrest considering others have ended up dead regardless of resistance. I think he probably thought that he would end up being held to the floor by the three or four officers present - a scenario that has ended badly for several black men. He can't have foreseen being shot in the chest, just as the officer didn't foresee shooting him.
It's really intimidating being pulled over by the police in the US. It's happened to me 3 times. They take them age to get out of thier cars, which makes you start to over think. Do they want me to step out? Thier manner on all 3 occasions was aggressive. My heart was going like the clappers. All 3 times it took forever for them to ask the questions, do all the checks. I can understand how black people start to panic in those situations knowing the history.

Are victims never at least partially responsible?
Discuss...

Setting aside this particular incident, most of us are unlikely to encounter the police in a tense situation, but if we do we trust that they will act with due caution. I had a close relative who one day unfortunately had an embolism which made him go understandably a little berserk in pain. The police arrived and by the time theyd finished he was in hospital as much for the injuries during the intervention than the embolism. I think we need to be careful not to assume that because most arrests involves a criminal act that the police should be given the benefit of the doubt when their over the top actions are questioned. 'Oh well, it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the criminal' is no answer at all and is a sop.

There's probably an element of " trigger happy " ott knob heads that feel that they are above it all and a good few get away with it....... But trying to be reasonable I reckon the big problem is being " spooked ". ie shoot first ask later just in case because of the gun laws........ Yet most of them believe in the right to carry arms. Where on earth does that logic come from? :(

There's probably an element of " trigger happy " ott knob heads that feel that they are above it all and a good few get away with it....... But trying to be reasonable I reckon the big problem is being " spooked ". ie shoot first ask later just in case because of the gun laws........ Yet most of them believe in the right to carry arms. Where on earth does that logic come from? :(
Yep

I think the 2nd amnenent is there so that citizens can protect themselves from the state. It's bonkers.

It's an improvement on recent stuff... The perps usually get choked to death or shot about 8 times. Of course I'm being sarcastic but I can't believe this shit. Very Very sad ! :(
Agree lib. Think this is more accident than deliberately intentional with undertones

73 year old police reservist is involved in an undercover operation to expose illegal gun dealing. Says a huge amount. US police are in general underpaid, selection process is not rigorous. Which means people who aren't up to the job end up as cops. Man of them have second jobs. To put it bluntly a lot of them are as thick as. Certainly in my encounters with them.

Another out of the ordinary, rare case? Im not buying it. There needs to be investigation into Police recruitment generally. It fits with whats happened to this country over the last 5 years. I sense a sort of coup. Its maybe too easy for nasties that are rife in society to find their way into a compliant force to do their business both on the streets and online. There needs to be vigilance but Im sensing total complacence.