PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Liam Lindsay signs permenantly from Stoke (Confirmed)

Ben Davies to Liam Lindsay.
The asset stripping in front of our eyes continues.
Well we basically got naff all for Davies so not sure what you were expecting us to sign. This, however, is clearly not a Davies replacement. We can't replace Ben, we just have to hope for Storey's development perhaps and another centre half.

This in a nutshell.

Hopefully he can get a proper pre season under his belt with no inner club turbulence like he had last year.

A solid foundation for a player can work wonders.

Personally think it will be a good signing and will have people eating humble pie.

Played well a few times this season, Rovers away sticks in the mind.
Think he got in the team of the week a couple of times and put in some standout performances along the way.

Echo the shout on Rovers away, forget the winning goal, he kept Armstrong quiet for the most part bar him forcing Iversen into a wonder save. Not much he could do about the penalty, for one it wasn’t one.

Steady signing for me and gives us that left footbed balance in a 3 at the back which we clearly wanted.

When we make signings like this, I always think back to this -

"I tell you what has changed, is that with some of the offers we're making at the moment - in the past we were trying to look for players on wage or transfer fee levels that made it very challenging.

"At the levels we are now making offers, there are plenty of opportunities if our current employees don't accept the bids to get as good outside.

Well we basically got naff all for Davies so not sure what you were expecting us to sign. This, however, is clearly not a Davies replacement. We can't replace Ben, we just have to hope for Storey's development perhaps and another centre half.
Ridsdale said that with the wages we were offering the Bens, we’d be able to sign just as good if they rejected us. Is Lindsay just as good or was Peter lying?

Solid signing. Reliable centre half in the Hunts mould.

Absolute disrespect to Paul Huntington to compare him to Lindsay.

Very disappointing signing. His deficiencies were so obvious from his time on loan he has a lot to improve upon.

Upside is he'll probably get 3/4 a season from set pieces

I think he’s a good signing and we probably got more points per game with him playing than with Ben Davies. He may not be as skilful as Ben but he’s as effective and more of a threat in the opposition penalty area. I wish him all the best and hope he nails down a regular spot and makes some detractors eat their words.

Lindsay was short of matches when he first arrived but he stabilised and became reliable if unspectacular. With a proper preseason and the confidence that FM wanted him back he might well step up a notch or two further.

But this gives us four players - Bauer, Storey, Lindsay, Huntington - who can play either in the centre of a back four or as the centre of a back three so we are now well covered in those areas with the caveats that we have to see if Bauer is fully recovered and that Huntington might want regular first team football elsewhere. Storey and Lindsay can also play, respectively, on the right and left of a back three but neither has really the necessary pace. So at the moment Hughes is probably first choice for the left of a back three with Storey by default the option for the right. The return of van den Berg would obviously make things better on the right and a further signing of a player able to play RB/RWB would give us what we need there though that might still leave us needing a further mobile left-sided defender. So two maybe three more defensive signings needed possibly offset by Huntington going the other way.
Unless we offload at least 2 out of Hunts, Rafferty and Earl, I can’t see there being any possibility of bringing 3 defenders in. I‘m hoping for SVB and a right back. our need to strengthen other positions is much greater. Whatever people think of Lindsay, scoring goals was a much bigger problem than conceding them last season

Ben Davies never played a single minute following his departure from the club in January, and unless he leaves Liverpool he won’t play a single minute next season either. Liam Lindsay by comparison played 13 times for North End, scoring twice and looked better by the game. Good signing, clearly wanted by Frankie and will play a lot of games for North End this coming season.

Welcome back Liam.
I don't know the reason why Lindsay wasn't getting into the Stoke team, but now that he's back at Deepdale, he'll have my support. Along with Jordan Storey, Lindsay got better the more he played. I hope we concentrate on spending more on a goal scorer, who? I haven't a clue.