PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer gossip - Summer Window 2021

We have lost Davies, Pearson and Fisher. We have gained Olisande, VDB, Lindsay, Whiteman and probably Iversonand a new striker compared to the beginning of last season. I would suggest that we are not weaker, especially as Pearson offered very little last season and certain players like Ledson are better than a year ago.
We have also gained Evans and Cunningham compared with a year ago and therefore I think it is a no brainier that we are stronger than a year ago.
Really……your telling me that pearson, davies and fisher would not be in your starting 11 v hull????? .agree re vdb and iverseon but struggling to see that it is a no brainer that stronger

Given how he was allegedly treated previously I can't see him/his agent being in any hurry to get talking.
IMO he could get more than he's on here at most Championship clubs, even as a bench warmer.
Correct, and just observed how the club 'manage' their top talent last season also. Over 200 championship appearances, he'd be an idiot not to be looking to maximize his salary.

Just had this argument with a Fulham or 2 fan on twitter, they don’t get the problem with parachute payments.
And why would they?

Sheffield United were awarded 180 million pounds for what they served up last season.

It’s rewarding failure. 180 million for finishing last and winning literally four games. Nothing short of an absolute disgrace.

Football in this country needs resetting top to bottom. Unfortunately the Premier League is a marketing machine now.

Barkhuizen has probably played significantly more minutes and started more matches than anybody else at the club since he signed. His appearance record is remarkable.

As such, citing underuse as a reason not to extend his contract is pretty daft imo.
It wasn’t stated as a reason not to extend his contract. He was one of the 4 players I have stated that we should be negotiating with. Pretty daft to misinterpret IMO.

Sheffield United were awarded 180 million pounds for what they served up last season.

It’s rewarding failure. 180 million for finishing last and winning literally four games. Nothing short of an absolute disgrace.
I'm guessing the rationale of parachute payments is that if you get promoted to the Premiership you won't get decent players to sign if you only offer 1 year contracts. So you need Premiership type money in subsequent seasons should you get relegated in your first season.

He will be an expensive sub for many matches
Are you paying his wages fella?

I don’t rate Barkhuizen that highly, but if the gaffa wants him, let him and live and die by them decisions.

Don’t understand why fans are bothered how much ‘x’ is paid or worth.

Managers should be praised for getting the owners to spend money, not criticised. A managers job isn’t to save the owners of a football club money, its to deliver success.

Really……your telling me that pearson, davies and fisher would not be in your starting 11 v hull????? .agree re vdb and iverseon but struggling to see that it is a no brainer that stronger
The question was about whether we have a stronger or weaker squad than at the beginning of last season
It was not about whether Davies, Pearson and Fisher would be good enough to be in a starting eleven against Hull. Of course they would be if they were still with us!

Are you paying his wages fella?

I don’t rate Barkhuizen that highly, but if the gaffa wants him, let him and live and die by them decisions.

Don’t understand why fans are bothered how much ‘x’ is paid or worth.

Managers should be praised for getting the owners to spend money, not criticised. A managers job isn’t to save the owners of a football club money, its to deliver success.
I am not bothered how much he is paid. Why should I be.To repeat, I have advocated that he should get a new contract. I am merely pointing out that he is frequently not in the starting eleven.

I'm guessing the rationale of parachute payments is that if you get promoted to the Premiership you won't get decent players to sign if you only offer 1 year contracts. So you need Premiership type money in subsequent seasons should you get relegated in your first season.
If a player gets relegated they probably aren’t justifying their wages.

Id make relegation clauses in contracts for players mandatory. Stop awarding relegation with 180 million, they’d soon reset their wage structure.

To put into comparison.

Manchester City were awarded 100k for winning the League Cup. A trophy, one of the aims of the sport.

Sheffield United were awarded 180 million for being nothing but utter tosh all season, finishing stone last and winning only 4 games of a possible 38.

You can’t even make that make sense.

Id make relegation clauses in contracts for players mandatory. Stop awarding relegation with 180 million, they’d soon reset their wage structure.

To put into comparison.

Manchester City were awarded 100k for winning the League Cup. A trophy, one of the aims of the sport.

Sheffield United were awarded 180 million for being nothing but utter tosh all season, finishing stone last and winning only 4 games of a possible 38.

Parachute payments reward failure.

Simple as that really.

I am not bothered how much he is paid. Why should I be.To repeat, I have advocated that he should get a new contract. I am merely pointing out that he is frequently not in the starting eleven.
Then why mention he’d be an expensive sub if you don’t care how much he’s paid?

Anyway, leave it there, I can’t afford to be blocked by any other members of the forum 🤣

Parachute payments reward failure.

Simple as that really.
Agree.

Id need to check the facts on this. But pretty certain this is right.

City winning the league get 220 million.
Sheffield United for finishing last get 180 million.

That in itself is a huge problem. Why clubs like West Ham can afford to stick price tags on their players of 100 million, cause they can afford to despite not winning anything for 40 years.

The whole league gets rewarded no matter where they finish. Then they can afford to demand astronomical money for their players cause they don’t need it being rewarded just for being in that division.

Not really North End related, so I wont go on, but thats my ten pence worth.

To put into comparison.

Exactly, put relegation clauses into contracts and stop spending 100 million to try and compete.

The prem won’t like this though as they want the money running through the league and don’t want the danger of players rejecting clubs because they want to put a relegation clause in their contract. a few of these foreign boys at Watford wouldn’t have stuck around if they dropped to a competitive championship wage following failure to stay in the prem. I see Ayew has now signed for a club in Qatar, I wonder why!