PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Team v Coventry

Yoowell

Patron
Think Frankie will find it very hard not to match their 3-5-2….if he does then it can’t be our usual morph into a 5-3-2 or they will stuff us.
For what it’s worth I would only go 3-5-2 if Maguire is fit.

Iversen
Storey Bauer Hughes
SVDB Johnson Whiteman Browne Earl
Maguire Riis

If no Maguire.

Iversen
SVDB Storey Bauer Hughes
Barkhuizen Whiteman Johnson Murphy
Riis Sinclair

What I think Frankie will go with compared to what I would go with are vastly different sadly. I fully expect Frankie to go unchanged with Whiteman in for one of the midfield

I’d go

Iversen

Sepp Bauer Hughes Earl

Whiteman Browne

Sinclair Johnson Murphy

Riis

Genuinely wouldn’t be against Adam O’Reilly given a run out given how much praise his central league performances have received (I know it’s poor opposition) At one point we’re going to need to start giving him a try otherwise we might as well just let him go

Iversen
van den Berg - Bauer - Hughes - Cunningham
Ledson - Whiteman
Sinclair - Johnson - Murphy
Riis

Frankie will probably name an unchanged side though.

I’d go with that although Storey is a more natural centre half than Hughes

Really have no idea what team FM will select. We went 4.3.3 for the last quarter of the match yesterday and looked better for it so maybe we will see a totally different formation from the start. But whatever Iversen, Bauer, Hughes and Riis seem to be shoe-ins at the moment though is Hughes suitable for the centre of a four-man defence. I would have thought Whiteman had added himself to that list after giving us some midfield presence yesterday. Maguire if he is fit would bring us some canniness but for all the reasons I have explained previously he won't bring any goal scoring potential. Sinclair will which is why he should start. Other than that I really don't know. If he is fit McCann should get another start. But I think both van den Berg and Earl have looked a bit tired lately and I might rest them both. Other than that as I said I just don't know.

Iversen

SVDB Bauer Hughes Cunningham

Whiteman Ledson

Sinclair DJ Murphy

Riis

I'd pick Ledson over Browne as Browne isn't a sitting midfielder and he's not done enough yet to displace DJ.

The 3-5-2 worked when it was a 3-5-2 not a 5-3-2 as its become.

Really harsh on Earl who has done well but I think Cunningham is a better out and out full back. Likewise Storey but Hughes edges him at LCB.

It'll be nothing like that though, he'll pick the same side and setup just bringing Whiteman in for Ledson. Another shit lackluster performance due.

Iversen
van den Berg - Bauer - Hughes - Cunningham
Ledson - Whiteman
Sinclair - Johnson - Murphy
Riis

Frankie will probably name an unchanged side though.
This but with Earl and i reckon Frankie will make 1 change, Whiteman for Ledson as he doesnt want both banned for the lashers.

4 2 3 1 was our stock formation back in the day - or a 4 1 4 1 which Neil would try and call a 4 3 3.

Surely using these systems from time 2 time amd mixing it up is healthy?

Maguire has been neat and tidy this season and there’s no doubt he works hard and links play. I’ve nothing against the lad.

But he hasn’t scored in the league for 10 months and his assists are few and far between.

It’s not like we’ve been banging them in when Seani has played. If SM is the answer to our lack of goals, we are truly screwed.

For me, I’d look to get Murphy, Sinclair or even some youth up there with Riis and see what they can do.

Just putting the same old faces in week after week is straight out of the AN playbook and it’s clearly not working.

Maguire has been neat and tidy this season and there’s no doubt he works hard and links play. I’ve nothing against the lad.

But he hasn’t scored in the league for 10 months and his assists are few and far between.

It’s not like we’ve been banging them in when Seani has played. If SM is the answer to our lack of goals, we are truly screwed.

For me, I’d look to get Murphy, Sinclair or even some youth up there with Riis and see what they can do.

Just putting the same old faces in week after week is straight out of the AN playbook and it’s clearly not working.
When AN was doing it, it was with good reason imo. He even got stick for hardly changing the team in the first season - we finished 7th.

Frankie has hardly been changing the team because we’ve been “doing well”. Beggars belief. We haven’t won since August, and what has he changed? Nothing.

Does it really matter? Will be absolutely dogshite football for 90 minutes in the hope Cov don’t score.

When AN was doing it, it was with good reason imo. He even got stick for hardly changing the team in the first season - we finished 7th.

Frankie has hardly been changing the team because we’ve been “doing well”. Beggars belief. We haven’t won since August, and what has he changed? Nothing.
Yeah but people conveniently forget Alex Neil got us to the highest league position in the last 12 years, playing attractive football for the most part because it doesn't suit the narrative. Yes it ended sourly but if that performance on Saturday was under Alex Neil he would have been hung, drawn and quartered. An absolute tactical disasterclass and only got out of a defeat yet again by the performance of Iversen.

We've now got a Head Coach who is tactically inept and whilst he appears to be a nice guy, we're four points off 23rd and could easily be in the relegation zone by Saturday night unless we pull out two performances this week against sides which are decent.

As for whatever team he puts out, if he goes with that diamond midfield like he did first half v Derby and playing Riis as isolated as he did then it will not end well.

I take full responsibility, we pick the team ourselves and the backroom team. We put our tactics in play to try to win the game. Unfortunately, today, we didn’t get it right

Great he's taking responsibility but we've got to start learning. 2 wins from 12 games just isn't good enough. One up front at home with a diamond midfield and a back five I mean who's he trying to kid? That isn't a tactic to try and win the game.

Does it really matter? Will be absolutely dogshite football for 90 minutes in the hope Cov don’t score.
Coventry have only failed to score in 3 games this season and were all away from home in to-nil defeats. That's the only hope I can take leading into Wednesday is that we keep Gyorkores (another AN wanted) quiet and limit the time on the ball for O'Hare.

DJ was awful on Saturday, as we're quite a few.
Feel we have more intent press when playing the old system.
Give VDB and Earl a rest.
I hope player aren't focusing on the money game against Liverpool and thinking I don't want an injury.
Need to get a bit of energy before the Blackpool match. Take it to them can't stand teams that sit back.

Yeah but people conveniently forget Alex Neil got us to the highest league position in the last 12 years, playing attractive football for the most part because it doesn't suit the narrative. Yes it ended sourly but if that performance on Saturday was under Alex Neil he would have been hung, drawn and quartered.

On here, maybe. But not everywhere. 🎣😉

I don’t think people forget how good AN was when he first arrived, but the narrative was one of ever-diminishing returns as he was handed a more difficult task year-on-year by those above.

Given the right backing at the right time it could all have been very different, but that’s the same old story at North End (check out NES3 🤓).

I think most people accept he was a good manager who eventually lost his way; there were times he didn’t help himself but, as with Frankie, our problems do not start and end with the manager/head coach.

Until there’s root and branch reform of the way we operate at board level we’re only heading in one direction, sadly. 🙁

On here, maybe. But not everywhere. 🎣😉

I don’t think people forget how good AN was when he first arrived, but the narrative was one of ever-diminishing returns as he was handed a more difficult task year-on-year by those above.

Given the right backing at the right time it could all have been very different, but that’s the same old story at North End (check out NES3 🤓).

I think most people accept he was a good manager who eventually lost his way; there were times he didn’t help himself but, as with Frankie, our problems do not start and end with the manager/head coach.

Until there’s root and branch reform of the way we operate at board level we’re only heading in one direction, sadly. 🙁
Was that you handing out the leaflets on Saturday...??