PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lapsed Supporters

I gave up my season ticket a few years ago when I was working away at weekends. Since then I realised that I was only going on because I already had a ticket. Now I pick and choose my games often based on the weather forecast. Recently moved to Chorley and train it in when I do go which allows me the time for a couple of beers on the way to the ground. This is often the most enjoyable part of the day! When I don’t go I find it cheaper and more convenient to shout at the telly than it is to attend in person.

Think this thread has been one of the best ones I've read in years so full credit to everyone for their accounts so far.

Having two young girls at home brings different challenges and I've cut down my away games significantly in favour of a VPN and dodgy iFollow stream. Don't get me wrong, like all habits they bite at different times (such as needing a fix by going to Bournemouth last week to complete all 24 grounds in the league) but gone are the days of doing every single game home and away.

I'll pick and choose away games, knowing I can watch it at home if needs be but the home games are purely for the social element. The football is dire, but the people you see and spend time with every couple of weeks make going to Deepdale worthwhile.

And if friends fall out of the habit of going, then what? I genuinely don't know, I'd probably end up doing more "dad" things or focus on different aspects of my career on a Saturday than going to the game.

The love for the club won't die but that love is more for the people that you meet more than the players and infrastructure. Been left behind by our competitors and the apathy we've probably all felt recently makes me think that something has got to change to jolt us back into life before its too late.
Maybe those at the top should read this thread to get an understanding as to what is needed to attract fans back.

I only ever got to about 5 or 6 games a year since I left Preston at 18 to go to Uni and never moved back. Never had a season ticket, but now with the cost of a trip up there (admittedly I'm only in South Manchester) and other commitments, I don't feel the urge. The poor form since covid hit, and the discontent really don't inspire me to make the effort either. I still watch games if we're on Sky, but even the Liverpool game I hesitated before buying a pass because I knew/thought it would be pretty dire to watch.

A final word on Ridsdale. For a long time the fans have complained that there s a lack of communication from the club. When that communication comes from him it achieves the reverse of the desired effect & heightens fans discontent.
Talking but saying nothing is not communicating

I only ever got to about 5 or 6 games a year since I left Preston at 18 to go to Uni and never moved back. Never had a season ticket, but now with the cost of a trip up there (admittedly I'm only in South Manchester) and other commitments, I don't feel the urge. The poor form since covid hit, and the discontent really don't inspire me to make the effort either. I still watch games if we're on Sky, but even the Liverpool game I hesitated before buying a pass because I knew/thought it would be pretty dire to watch.
I used to go to visit family in Northenden South Manchester and more than once seen a lad with a North End shirt on....you by any chance monster?

A final word on Ridsdale. For a long time the fans have complained that there s a lack of communication from the club. When that communication comes from him it achieves the reverse of the desired effect & heightens fans discontent.
Talking but saying nothing is not communicating
Likewise Ridsdale making bogus claims that do not stand up to scrutiny will only further enrage the fanbase.

It's clear what Ridsdale's intention now is though - more of these Euxton presscalls with journos where he can make false claims unchallenged, allied with an approved fan engagement channel where certain topics are off-limits and the press release will be drafted by him.

He'll claim communications have never been so good, while the whole thing works as a stitch-up in his favour.

I've watched North End for 50 years, the majority with a season ticket. This season I didn't get one for the first time in in probably 20 years. I was still buzzing for the start of the season and bought a ticket for every home game including the cup up to and including Derby.

I left that game dismayed at the performance and have not returned since. I just didn't enjoy it, not just the crap performance, but a lot of other things at the club which just aren't right. I was more aligned to crap managers like Tommy Doc, Gordon Lee, Tommy Booth etc than I am to FM, he can't wait to have a pop at the fans and the same obviously goes for PR and the bitching captain. I feel there is a contempt at the club, that we should just hand over our money and put up with the shit show on offer and listen to bullshit press conferences like we are stupid and didn't even watch the game. For the foreseeable, I'm not parting with my cash.

So what do I do, I still watch every game and I want us to win, because although in some ways it no longer feels like my club, it is my club. I know a couple of lads who play league 1 & 2 football, so I sit with North End on the TV and a lower league random game on my laptop, dog at my feet, food and drink on tap. I'll be honest I'm loving it and it's going to take a big change to shift my arse off that settee.
We’ll put.

This is a great read and also a depressing one.

I've been a member of this forum since 2004, which in itself when checking surprised me. I recognise the names of supporters who like me where diehards and now read their own stories like mine of apathy and discontent. Pretty shocked they no longer go on, but not surprised as in truth if you'd told me 2 months ago I wouldn't be going on, I'd have laughed at you.

Like many I got the bug from my dad taking me, like he did from his dad. My 3 daughters were also season ticket holders often travelling away with me, but no more. My family tree of following North End has ended, maybe not surprising as they are adults and sorry if it sounds sexist, girls.

But how many others younger than me, guys and gals in their 30's who've given up the ghost before they've had children to model into North End fans have now ended their own North End family tree rather more abruptly and therefore with it the club has lost the next generation of supporters. Must be harder for the younger ones with all the coverage on TV to get your kids on. It was MOTD, The Big Match or North End when I was growing up.

In 2004, I reckon there were 16 of us mates and kids who sat together all with season tickets. There were 6 guys in front who we didn't know but got to over the years. There is 2 left in our group and one from the other. The two have regrets about buying this season.

Preston North End need to do something and fast to change the mindset of a lot of supporters. It's not just the standard of football, Christ I've seen a lot worse over the years including the re-election season. For me it's the arrogance and contempt towards fans from those at the top, the constant sniping and talking down to by a business to its customers. It sure as hell wouldn't work in any other business sector.

But how many others younger than me guys and gals in their 30's who've given up the ghost before they've had children to model into North End fans have now ended their own North End family tree rather more abruptly and therefore with it the club has lost the next generation of supporters. Must be harder for the younger ones with all the coverage on TV to get your kids on. It was MOTD, The Big Match or North End when I was growing up.
My family tree has been chopped too - exiled, both kids girls. I'd try to get them into it but we live too far away.

More widely, whilst this is an interesting and important read, we should be aware that there'll be an element of confirmation bias here and elsewhere there WILL be people who are still doing what they did and will carry on doing so and new people appearing.

We know that there core support of the club (maybe 9-1000 or so?) is pretty robust now and we're probably talking about the extra 30-40% on top of this who will be there when times are good but less so when they're not. I count amongst those. These people shouldn't be ignored, of course, but things probably aren't has horrific as it might seem reading this thread.

Don't want this thread to turn into a "better fan than you discussion."

I still go on home and quite a few away games and I really missed it during lockdown, despite the fact that what I was watching on ifollow was in the main dross. It made me realise that while when we lose I get really pissed off so I still have that passion for the club, it wasn't the football drawing me back every week, it was seeing my mates. Quite a few of the lads who I see every other week I probably wouldn't see if I stopped going on North End.

Things I've considered are, going on Brig, polishing off the golf bats, hanging around with the missus (this isn't a real consideration), going on Chorley, sitting in a pub drinking and watching Jeff Stelling, going for a walk in the lakes or buying some lego (which it turns out is dearer than watching football.)

My question is to the lapsed fans, some of whom probably jacked it in during the Westley era, what do you do with your Saturday's now? How has it been for you since you stopped going and would you ever be drawn back to Deepdale by anything other than premier league football?

I played and now watch Saturday league football near my Mum and Dads. I will then watch the last 30 mins of Jeff and the boys.

Could be tempted back by Jeffs replacement being shit.

Or actually being entertained when I do bother to turn up.

My family tree has been chopped too - exiled, both kids girls. I'd try to get them into it but we live too far away.

More widely, whilst this is an interesting and important read, we should be aware that there'll be an element of confirmation bias here and elsewhere there WILL be people who are still doing what they did and will carry on doing so and new people appearing.

We know that there core support of the club (maybe 9-1000 or so?) is pretty robust now and we're probably talking about the extra 30-40% on top of this who will be there when times are good but less so when they're not. I count amongst those. These people shouldn't be ignored, of course, but things probably aren't has horrific as it might seem reading this thread.

Very true Simo. Might be worth a poll I suppose. Something the club should consider doing or asking The Preston Supporters Collective to carry out on their behalf. Not sure how you would word it.

I played and now watch Saturday league football near my Mum and Dads. I will then watch the last 30 mins of Jeff and the boys.

Could be tempted back by Jeffs replacement being shit.

Or actually being entertained when I do bother to turn up.

If BT Sport have any sense they'll already have signed up Jeff and some of the old panel and they'll clean up with the ratings on a Saturday afternoon.

I used to go to visit family in Northenden South Manchester and more than once seen a lad with a North End shirt on....you by any chance monster?
Unlikely I’d say although not impossible. Lived over nearer to Stockport since 1999 (used to party with Prince quite often) but used to have friends in Northernden many moons ago. It would had to have been a BAXI shirt by the way.