PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

My only doubt with Mikey is where he actually plays. What's his preferred position? He's not a striker as such is he? Do we play him as a link forward? Is he physical enough to do that role yet? From what I've seen so far he looks the business though.
Any idea what he's like back to goal, holding up play, roughing up centrebacks and does he possess a morale boosting aura? I believe those are key things he'll need to work on this summer cos keen Futsal players aren't known for any of that real hurly burly manly stuff.

Any idea what he's like back to goal, holding up play, roughing up centrebacks and does he possess a morale boosting aura? I believe those are key things he'll need to work on this summer cos keen Futsal players aren't known for any of that real hurly burly manly stuff.
Not sure what a 'morale boosting aura' means?

but 2 of your first 3 questions aren't his natural game, no. He's more of a 10 than a 9....

Holding play up is, in that his touch; control and spacial awareness is very good......he doesnt get caught in possession very often.

Not sure he's ever been a futsal player.... but yes he will need 'strengthening up'. Seen him get injured quite a bit in games, because he gets targeted by teams that know him, but never seen him come off injured!

I haven’t seen the lad play yet but Mikey O’Neill is the first academy product I’ve been genuinely excited about in literal decades.

The likes of Browne and Davies have obviously been very good players for us but this lad sounds like he the kind of talent that could have people purring. Don’t know if we’ve ever produced someone like that.
I've seen nothing from him other than brief highlights from the two or three games hes played but yep, I very much like what I see. Early days yet but hopefully we've finally found one!

To look so at home in the first team straight away is a very good sign. Not many players we've been able to say that about - Brownhill, McKenna, Ashcroft are the ones that immediately spring to mind for me.

Not sure what a 'morale boosting aura' means?

but 2 of your first 3 questions aren't his natural game, no. He's more of a 10 than a 9....

Holding play up is, in that his touch; control and spacial awareness is very good......he doesnt get caught in possession very often.

Not sure he's ever been a futsal player.... but yes he will need 'strengthening up'. Seen him get injured quite a bit in games, because he gets targeted by teams that know him, but never seen him come off injured!
He's got "vast experience in Futsal" according to the PNE player profile. :) Would make sense, cos it would improve touch and ball control. We should maybe get our centrebacks into it!

Morale boosting aura just means, can he lift the players and fans just by his mere presence and get-up-and-go attitude. Admittedly it's a special quality, that very few players possess.

He's got "vast experience in Futsal" according to the PNE player profile. :) Would make sense, cos it would improve touch and ball control. We should maybe get our centrebacks into it!

Morale boosting aura just means, can he lift the players and fans just by his mere presence and get-up-and-go attitude. Admittedly it's a special quality, that very few players possess.
Cheers....

as the season went on he was 1 of the 2 players that the rest seemed to look to when things got tight (Beno the other) and one the fans present knew that if he played well the team would win........... but I wouldnt say that was the feeling before Christmas.... it just grew out of his performances.

He generally plays forwards which should boost the morale of many of our fans :p

21 goals is some feat. Bound to be interest in Riis from Premiership or European clubs but he is not the finished article yet.

Agreed just think how many he'd get if he could 'heead it' as well ;)
I guess when you can score 11 with your right foot and 6 with your left foot, you don't need to rely on your head so much. But, watching wayward crossed balls constantly sail over your head doesn't help matters.

Riis' 6 left foot goals put him 8th in the left foot scorers chart in the entire division. (Johnson is actually 6th and Archer 9th in the left foot stakes) We are certainly left blessed this season.

I guess when you can score 11 with your right foot and 6 with your left foot, you don't need to rely on your head so much. But, watching wayward crossed balls constantly sail over your head doesn't help matters.

Riis' 6 left foot goals put him 8th in the left foot scorers chart in the entire division. (Johnson is actually 6th and Archer 9th in the left foot stakes) We are certainly left blessed this season.
Very sinister...

He looks ready to me technically and physically, yet he is only just turning 18. Last thing we want to do is pile pressure on him and there is none as there are players in front of him obviously right now but what an exciting prospect.
It would be great if we could get him a good season long loan…..a bit like Brennan Johnson did at Lincoln before returning to Forest a miles better player.

IMO the points you make are fair, but even when he's being an anonymous hologram up front like he was against Blackburn, Riis is always likely to conjure a goal-of-the-season out of nothing and that is a truly priceless quality to have. Far batter than having strikers that work hard and score once every calendar year
Yeah, this is a fair point.

Riis (6ft 3) also lost out in the air for Blackburn’s third goal against Lenihan (6ft 2). Although I place no blame on Emil for that, but rather the coaching staff. Why did we have Emil defending the ball rather than in the wall?

Yeah, this is a fair point.

Riis (6ft 3) also lost out in the air for Blackburn’s third goal against Lenihan (6ft 2). Although I place no blame on Emil for that, but rather the coaching staff. Why did we have Emil defending the ball rather than in the wall?

Never let your centre forward defend in his own box 👍

Never let your centre forward defend in his own box 👍
Disagree with this Sid! We've seen the likes of Ched Evans, Jordan Hugill, and Jayden Stockley very effectively defend corners over the years.

My point was that Riis shouldn't have been defending it because he's pretty soft, not just because he's a striker.

Disagree with this Sid! We've seen the likes of Ched Evans, Jordan Hugill, and Jayden Stockley very effectively defend corners over the years.

My point was that Riis shouldn't have been defending it because he's pretty soft, not just because he's a striker.

Fair comment (y). I agree that Emil's defensive 'quality' needs work. Mind you, Joe Garner gave me fits when he set foot in his own box :)