PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

I disagree with Tatchell about quite a few things, but he isn't afraid to speak out. Qatar has claimed that it will turn a blind eye to homosexuality during the World Cup - but I am pretty sure it will return to its usual oppression after the event.
Indeed, just like we, as a country, seem to turn a blind eye to the fact that many Muslims living amongst us think homosexuality should be illegal.

Is this a Qatar issue, or an Islam issue?

Indeed, just like we, as a country, seem to turn a blind eye to the fact that many Muslims living amongst us think homosexuality should be illegal.

Is this a Qatar issue, or an Islam issue?
Quite a few Christians think like that, too - the views of the Greek Orthodox church and many of its more devout are exactly the same. Religion, culture, politics, and many other things play a role - and the more fundamental strains of Islam certainly have an issue. Sadly, they are not alone in that.

Quite a few Christians think like that, too - the views of the Greek Orthodox church and many of its more devout are exactly the same. Religion, culture, politics, and many other things play a role - and the more fundamental strains of Islam certainly have an issue. Sadly, they are not alone in that.
the aramaic religions, in general, have quite strict attitudes towards homosexuality. all subscribing to this text.

Leviticus 20:13:

“If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

There's plenty of non Muslims living amongst us that think the same.
Indeed. I guess my point is that Qatar is a Muslim country, whose culture revolves around their interpretation of the Quran. There seems to be a lot of mention of Qatar, and no mention of what is driving them to their abhorrent human rights record.

Indeed. But all I've seen from the replies since I mentioned that is 'but X think like that too, Y as well'.

the aramaic religions, in general, have quite strict attitudes towards homosexuality. all subscribing to this text.

“If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”
Indeed - that said, there is also a generational aspect. Certainly in the west, younger people, including Muslims, are becoming more secular. Even in the Middle East, there is a generational divide with respect to religion and rights, although progress is very slow.

Indeed. I guess my point is that Qatar is a Muslim country, whose culture revolves around their interpretation of the Quran. There seems to be a lot of mention of Qatar, and no mention of what is driving them to their abhorrent human rights record.

Indeed. But all I've seen from the replies since I mentioned that is 'but X think like that too, Y as well'.
Not really, no - the attitudes in Qatar are largely based upon interpretations of their religion, of that there is no argument. I live in a highly Christian country where there are still some attitudes to homosexuality based upon religion (half of Greeks believe that society should not accept homosexuality), so that shapes my views on this topic and belief that it is a wider issue than a single religion. Slowly but surely, younger generations in Greece are rejecting this - and I hope that similar happens within Islam and Islamic countries.

There are many factors contributing to whether a society accepts homosexuality - and trying to isolate a single cause, such as Islam, oversimplifies the problem.

Jews have certainly been devastatingly discriminated against. History shows the effect that blind discrimination can have on devastating A community. Its something we should never forget. The name Auschwitz is something that sends chills through the body of every decent person, worldwide.

Is it racial discrimination or religious discrimination, does it even matter which one it is?
Both obviously as bad. But more Non-Jews (Gentiles) would have sympathised with Baddiel's arguments if he hadn't been so outspoken about pineapples, etc.for all that time. On balance, he's probably made more people reject his arguments, because of their awareness of his racial fun&games.
As a spokesperson for his cause, the best thing he should do is to find a second well spoken Jewish person, who's black, (obviously!) and give a joint interview, all chummy & affable with each other. In a years time.

I remember reading that, but can’t remember if it’s new or Old Testament

Alternative comedian in edgy joke shock.

You’re not a fan Winky. I get it.

Having seen Baddiel with Rob Newman back in the day, followed, much later, by his insightful ‘Fame: Not the Musical’ and the uncomfortably personal ‘My Family: Not the Sitcom’, I feel reasonably well qualified to opine that he is, in fact, one of the more interesting, multi-faceted figures in the last thirty years of popular culture.

This could be despite, or indeed because of, the fact that he’s a cunt but I don’t need Twitter to tell me thanks.

Especially not ‘Mic Wright’…..

Having seen Baddiel with Rob Newman back in the day, followed, much later, by his insightful ‘Fame: Not the Musical’ and the uncomfortably personal ‘My Family: Not the Sitcom’, I feel reasonably well qualified to opine that he is, in fact, one of the more interesting, multi-faceted figures in the last thirty years of popular culture.

This could be despite, or indeed because of, the fact that he’s a cunt but I don’t need Twitter to tell me thanks.

It is interesting how a few on here want to discuss anything but the content of Baddiel’s programme. Instead they want to focus on some shitty little sketch he did 30 years ago and has since apologised profusely.
It’s almost like they don’t like Jews talking about the racism they face.

In stark contrast to how some felt about Azeem Rafiq.

It is interesting how a few on here want to discuss anything but the content of Baddiel’s programme. Instead they want to focus on some shitty little sketch he did 30 years ago and has since apologised profusely.
It’s almost like they don’t like Jews talking about the racism they face.

In stark contrast to how some felt about Azeem Rafiq.

What's with the new username?

At least everyone else in discussion aren't hiding behind alts.

Come back using yout usual name and I'll discuss the points you've raised.

To be fair to Baddiel, who has crossed the line like a lot of comedians, he was one of the few to speak out in the ridiculous Count Dankula Nazi Pug case:

Probably won't get the chance to watch his recent documentary, so cannot comment on that.