Search results

1. Schemer

So 60 years on?

Maybe, or was the £55,000 for both of them?
  2. Schemer

Come on without.....

I think Bolton fans used that for their Frannie Lee.
  3. Schemer

So 60 years on?

Yes, that's the figure that sticks in my mind for some reason. Did well at Everton but strangely only won a handful of Scotland caps. I think he became known as 'The Golden Vision' and seem to recall a TV documentary about him.
  4. Schemer

So 60 years on?

We're also the only founder member of the league still a league club never to have played in the Premier League. As mentioned elsewhere, even Notts County have been in the top league more recently than us, and just missed out on the inaugural Premier League by relegation.
  5. Schemer

So 60 years on?

Interestingly, as per the article linked by @Thracia in post #16: "Glossop North End finished bottom of the old First Division in 1899/1900 and have not made it back to the top tier since. That means that they’ve now spent 117(now 121) years outside of the top division of English football -...
  6. Schemer

So 60 years on?

Well, we certainly missed Tom Finney, who ended the previous season leading scorer on 17 in 37 games (out of a total of 79) - at the age of 38!
  7. Schemer

So 60 years on?

Worth noting (or perhaps best not to) that in 1960/61, Wigan Athletic finished 3rd in the Lancashire Combination Div 1. 44 years on, they were beginning an 8 season residency in the Premier League and would have an FA Cup Final win to come a few years later.
  8. Schemer

So 60 years on?

I remember it - sadly😔 To make things worse, Blackpool just survived. Amazingly, 60 years on, all but 2 of those teams are still in the top two divisions, with 12 still in the top division.
  9. Schemer

Bamber Bridge

Well, if we could help Cork City, surely we could help Bamber Bridge?
  10. Schemer

Poll - Is it time for Frankie to Go?

I may be completely wrong (and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me) but personally, I can't see Welsh having any involvement with the first team squad, irrespective of his job title.
  11. Schemer

Liam Lindsay

If Bauer is still out, we have a problem.
  12. Schemer

Possibly, but realistically, that was always unlikely. Wickham and Murphy were signed out of desperation because yet again, we failed to sign a proven striker. That needs addressing in January, but I'm not holding my breath.
  13. Schemer

Have I missed something? Is John Welsh now involved with the first team?
  14. Schemer

FM has certainly made mistakes and I'm still far from convinced he's the man for the job. It does make you wonder though, where we might be if Evans had been fit, or, better still, we had signed an upgrade in the summer to partner Riis. Given the overall mediocrity of this league, I think we...
  15. Schemer

League Table

No, way before Phil Brown - David Moyes.
  16. Schemer

Best Butter Pies in Preston.

You're the owner of Dawson's?
  17. Schemer

Didn't know that. It'll be interesting to see who Blackpool get now.
  18. Schemer

I know what you mean but it does seem to work well in some cases. For instance, Critchley has Stuart McCall as his assistant and last season had Colin Calderwood.
  19. Schemer

RIP - Mr. Trevor Hemmings

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/extraordinary-life-of-preston-north-end-owner-and-three-times-grand-national-winner-trevor-hemmings-is-remembered-at-a-memorial-service-3472031
  20. Schemer

Alex Neil 'helping out' at Crewe Alexandra

A lot of people said he'd walk into a Championship job. Sadly for him - and us as it turned out - he should probably have taken West Brom or Stoke, as his stock had fallen by the time he was sacked.