Search results

1. E

Team for Hull

Yes with a much greater readiness to throw Stockley into the fray at some point.
  2. E

Right Back Spot

That sounds like the title for a song. The words go quite well with the melody for Guantanamera:
  3. E

PNE youth team thread: 2019-20 season.

Superb match and really spirited performance from our lads. But against obviously physically stronger opposition you always felt that the last quarter of the game was where their strength might start to tell and once we were down to ten men it became pretty inevitable. But we gave it everything...
  4. E

This is a superb match - played at a relentless pace. Our opponents are physically stronger and better at keeping possession. We look dangerous when we run at them in and around their penalty area. Could go either way. Is anyone else finding the video quality great but the sound totally distorted.
  5. E

Right Back Spot

In turn Fisher's attacking abilities enhance those of Barkhuizen - one by giving us extra width that enables Barkhuizen to move in-field and two by playing forward balls that Barkhuizen can run onto. On Saturday most of Clarke's passes to Barkhuizen found Barkhuizen with his back to goal - a...
  6. E

If the Charlton youngsters had beaten our opponents tonight in the previous round I would have looked to support the lads in person tonight. But if there is a live stream to watch I will try to do so and will certainly be more interested in any case in how our lads do than in anything happening...
  7. E

Right Back Spot

Fisher though sometimes a bit flat-footed defensively has upped the attacking side of his game markedly of late. But Hughes though arguably more defensively sound is not really doing anything to support the attack at the moment - Rafferty has actually been better in that regard but a pacy...
  8. E

Right Back Spot

I seem to recall getting some flak when I suggested Browne might make a useful right-back on more than a stopgap basis a little while back. Whether he would is another matter but his performances in midfield this season are the odd flash of inspiration aside just a shadow of what he delivered...
  9. E

Josh earl

Hopefully Earl will be our first choice left-back next season. Hughes is solid but we need someone with more attacking threat there.
  10. E

Match Day - PNE v Millwall - 15/02/2020 - KO:15:00

Like everyone else it is difficult not to feel deflated by Saturday - not so much the fact of defeat but the manner of it and the timing just when we felt we might be about to push ourselves right towards the automatic places. We might all be feeling different if we had put away a couple of...
  11. E

Right Back Spot

Which we all knew before yesterday so why AN persisted with this rather sterile tactic I don't know. Hopefully it will not happen again and for the rest of the season if Fisher is absent then Rafferty or even Browne would be better options.
  12. E

Hopefully we will see a couple of changes for next Saturday - Fisher with his speed and tenacity at right-back instead of Clarke and Harrop with his energy and skill in the centre of the 3 with Johnson dropping back a bit at to displace Browne. Still baffled why Stockley was not brought on...
  13. E

Disappointing obviously - after the first 15 minutes we were outplayed. Was Fisher injured - because we really missed his forward play on the right. Instead every pass from Clarke to Barkhuizen found the latter either stationary and hemmed in or with his back to goal - the two situations in...
  14. E

Interesting game - after 15 minutes we could have been 4-0 up, after 20 minutes we could have been 2-0 down, since then a cagey, tense match. No idea how this could go. Maybe Stockley, Harrop and/or Gallagher will unlock things for us.
  15. E

Presumably Fisher is injured or ill - pity because he has played well in the last couple of matches. Interesting that with Hughes at left-back AN has opted for Clarke rather than Rafferty who is properly a right-back. Arguably Sinclair has been a bit hit-and-miss in the last couple of games but...
  16. E

] Harrop can arguably feel that he should be the one to step up if Browne is not available - even if he is. Agree that Nugent should get a start.
  17. E

RIP little man

This is enormously sad - come Gentry Day we will remember him as much as we remember those who have been members over much longer lives of this extended family that we are all a part of.
  18. E

Millwall and Hull at home ........

Indeed they have - I am well aware of the fact, but as I said something of that initial character still seems to remain. In any case New Cross is hardly genteel - I know that as well because I only live a couple of miles or so away just about on the invisible border, in fact, where the harshness...
  19. E

Millwall and Hull at home ........

There are no easy games in this division. Also one game at a time. Tomorrow's opponents always tough - for some reason gritty the docklands spirit that reflects their origins seems to live on in them even though they are now based well south of the river. But they can for whatever reason also be...
  20. E

David Nugent

Agreed that Nugent cannot play 90 minutes week-in, week-out but 60 minutes with some regularity ought to be possible. Stockley probably ought to get a few starts as well. Maguire is proving fitful as a regular starter upfront and perhaps he would benefit from being held back at times until the...