Search results

1. Dr Marten

What Are You Listening To?

He's just played Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus which I think his intention is that it is kind of festive.
  2. Dr Marten

Best Xmas Song Ever.......

Probably not yet an established classic but I love this.
  3. Dr Marten

Lord Byrons

It was still Lord Byron's when it was raided in 1992. I know because I was working in there at the time. It was a Friday night, which was the Rave night and it happened after it had closed and we were tidying up. There may have still been a few hangers on around but it was mainly staff that were...
  4. Dr Marten

Another early 90's song from one of my all time favourites.
  5. Dr Marten

Don't forget they were also known as the Time Lords when they had a No1 hit with Doctorin' the Tardis in the late 80's. I remember them playing 3am eternal with Extreme Noise Terror at the Brit Awards before they announced they had left the music industry by leaving a dead sheep on the steps of...
  6. Dr Marten

I don't seem to be able to recall what I had for lunch last Tuesday but my recollection of support acts at gigs I went to in the early 90's appears intact. Ned's - Preston Poly 1990 - Scorpio Rising. Ned's - Preston Guild Hall 1991 - Power of Dreams. Pretty amazing that Neds' went from...
  7. Dr Marten

We're going to have to agree to differ on this however I do know after some googling that Sandkings were second on the bill after the Ned's during the October leg of the 1989 tour which was when they played the Guild Hall. On the 8 date 1990 tour during August Ned's had elevated to second on the...
  8. Dr Marten

Fair enough, I won't argue about the Sand Kings because I only went to the second Guild Hall show of that tour and for all I know the Sand Kings played on the Friday night. However I have the programme and I do remember watching Spirit of the West but I have never seen the Sand Kings. Could...
  9. Dr Marten

Good story about the Stuffies gig and probably true of the crowd for Ned's between the first and second night. I have to correct you about the second support though. It was Spirit of the West - I remember this as one of my mates thought they were the Ned's. But also because I still have the...
  10. Dr Marten

You're right the Keyboard player in the Sugarcubes was nice. You're right about Teenage Mother Superior too, it's a great song and I don't mind Summer Song either. But I thought the rest of their album was rubbish at the time and has not improved with age.
  11. Dr Marten

The Only Living Boy in New Cross and Suppose You Gave a Funeral... Spring to mind. I love a good pun at the best of times and Carter were great at including them in every song.
  12. Dr Marten

Can't you tell I've not been to work today? Tenuous Guy Garvey connection - Both his Wife and Mother in law starred in Detectorists which always has a brilliant soundtrack including this theme song performed by Johnny Flynn.
  13. Dr Marten

One of my favourite singers, David Ford once covered Tom Waites' Heart Attack and Vine which I thought was a great song. I googled Tom Waites' version out of curiosity but I had to turn it off after about a minute, it was unlistenable to my ears.
  14. Dr Marten

I saw these many many times back in the day. They were of their time and probably sold more t-shirts than albums. But they were fun and always put on a good show live. This was always my favourite of their songs and stands up pretty well even now. I give you Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Intact.
  15. Dr Marten

Therapy? - Screamager. Another band I saw at The Mill.
  16. Dr Marten

Another one from the early 90's - Kingmaker. Does anybody remember seeing these at The Mill on Aqueduct St with Elastica as support?
  17. Dr Marten

Anyway after defending Coldplay I move on. I took out a free trial of the Amazon music app a couple of weeks ago which I have used to reacquaint myself with some lost albums from my youth that I only own on cassette. I don't have anything to play them on anymore so have not listened to them for...
  18. Dr Marten

I listen to him too, he plays some great music and there was an excellent tribute to Diana Rigg, his late Mother in law in this weekends show. I quite like Elbow and I don't mind early Coldplay. I think Parachutes is a great debut and I bought a couple of the others but I really didn't care...
  19. Dr Marten

Sky Arts is now available on Freeview - Channel 11 and there were some great music docs over the weekend including a couple on Madness which were fantastic. Guy Garvey also presents a series where he accesses the ITV Vaults for TV appearances of many legendary bands. He covered 1979 last week...
  20. Dr Marten

Podcast

I've just finished listening to Craig Brown, what a lovely guy and very modest. He did not have anything bad to say about anyone and it was interesting to get his take on where things did not work out for him. Everything he said I could not disagree with, and had he not made those mistakes...