Search results

1. Pumba

Chris Holland

Decent article about a lad who came through our youth system before transferring to Newcastle in early 90s: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-chris-holland-eye-19341295
  2. Pumba

Problems at Home

What do we do to translate our impressive away performances into home wins at Deepdale? Could the emergence of Riis as a bit of a colossus reinvigorate our home performances? Do we need a complete tactical re-think based on how most teams seem to set-up at Deepdale? Don’t call me a lunatic...
  3. Pumba

PNE vs Cardiff on Sky

Boring thread but tomorrow marks our third consecutive game against Cardiff that will have been broadcast live on Sky. Other two were that chastening defeat at Deepdale that all but ended our play-off hopes a few games after the restart and a fairly drab 0-0 at Cardiff last December. Is three...
  4. Pumba

Anyone remember these? And know what they’re up to now?

Started a new game with PNE on the ancient footy management game CM 01/02. Recognise nearly everyone in the squad except a few youth players. Anyone remember the following/know what happened to them after leaving PNE?: John Bailey Tony Hallam Joe O’Neil Ricky Mercer Mark Wright Adam Eaton...
  5. Pumba

Retro shirts

Anyone know a good place for purchasing an old North End shirt with either the Garratts or Coloroll sponsors for a decent price? There’s one available on eBay at the moment but it’s a whopping £84.99. Maybe that’s the going rate for ancient kits, I don’t know, but it’s way above my budget.
  6. Pumba

Johnny Foreigner

Just a bit of mindless trivia, who was the last player we had on our books before FBG who wasn’t eligible for one of the international teams of the British Isles? Seems to me our squad has had a thoroughly British and Irish flavour in recent years. I genuinely can’t remember.
  7. Pumba

The Gay Footballer

So this account popped up on Twitter a couple of weeks ago and seems a Championship footballer will publicly come out on Wednesday. Jim White at Talksport supposedly been in talks with him and will hold the player’s first interview following the revelation at 10am. Brave move if the whole thing...
  8. Pumba

The season ahead

Possibly premature but let’s say we sign Hunter, Walton and another striker to strengthen the 1st XI, what do you the next 8 months has in store for us? I have to say I’m somewhat pessimistic and think it will be another drab mid-table finish. I don’t think we’ll sufficiently improve the first...
  9. Pumba

Obscure PNE connections

Found out today Danny Dichio's brother is a pool attendant at my local gym. Any others...?
  10. Pumba

Rudd

This form temporary or permanent? Even his detractors surely can’t deny how good that reflex save at his near post at the end was. Shot stopping’s never rarely been questionable though (save Brum howler).
  11. Pumba

Alternative league table?

Anyone got a way of creating a league table that only takes into account results from when our terrible start came to an end, the 4-3 win at home to Brentford on 24th October? Could be interesting viewing.
  12. Pumba

Hughes

Seems like he's getting praise on a weekly basis at the moment which is great to hear considering his mixed start. Has he noticeably improved areas of his game or is he just a bit more confident now?
  13. Pumba

Current transfer policy: really that much different?

I see a lot of grumbling on here about our current transfer policy so thought it might be interesting to compare how we recruit now, or intend to, with how we used to back in our Championship heyday. I’’ve chosen the teams that reached the playoff final in 2005 and semis in 2006 for reference...
  14. Pumba

Josh Earl

Served Josh in the cinema I work at in London tonight. Was a genuinely lovely bloke, so unassuming. Even seemed shocked when I recognised him! Question is, if he's down in London right now, is he injured and AN has allowed him to stay in London for a few days after the Brentford game to...
  15. Pumba

Defence

Come the end of January, we should have a clean bill of health re defenders, fingers crossed. Which begs the question, what should our settled back four be? There's probably going to be rotation at some point in the latter half of the season but which set of defenders would you prefer to see...
  16. Pumba

Fulham vs Reading

Anyone got a link that enables me to watch this? Cheers
  17. Pumba

New striker

If we're going to continue with our current transfer policy, that of poaching pretty unheralded players from the lower leagues and PL reserve and U23 teams, is there anyone you think we should be taking a particular interest in this summer? Looking at the L1 and L2 scoring charts, I notice...
  18. Pumba

Most underrated, influential player we've had?

Danny Dichio. He will rarely be mentioned in the same breath as our other notoriously underrated players but he was a fantastic foil for Nugent, Agyemang or Ormerod on his day. Any others spring to mind?
  19. Pumba

Calum Chambers to Arsenal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28497920 I know we keep saying it but it's getting beyond a joke now. 16 million for a lad who's played 24 games at senior level?
  20. Pumba

7 minutes late

This may already have been discussed but, according to the BBC, all games (in League 1 at least) start seven minutes later than their usual kick-off times on the weekend Fri 11 Apr to Sun 13 Apr. Is this a Sir Tom thing or just some sort of weird BBC mistake? Anybody got a clue?