Search results

1. E

Elsewhere

Now that we have secured our place in the Championship for next season I suppose we can start to speculate a bit about who else will be there. Sheff Utd, WBA and Fulham - really good away experience so hope that will if it happens be on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon - look like they will be...
  2. E

Team for Saturday

Perhaps we should start to think about the next match. After what happened last Saturday some sort of shake-up is needed though how much will be feasible will depend on the injury situation. FM seems to have conceded that our present set of players are perhaps best used in a wing-back formation...
  3. E

How Things Used To Be

Just as a diversion here are a few paragraphs from the obituary of Peter Lorimer in the Daily Telegraph - I am sure things aren't like this today... The younger of two sons, Peter Patrick Lorimer was born in Dundee on December 14 1946. His father was a fisherman who had served on patrols in the...
  4. E

Just Watching...

..last season's Scottish Cup Final which is only taking place now and is being livestreamed on the BBC website - providing you have a TV license. It has just gone to extra time but the interest from our point of view is that a certain Josh Ginnelly is playing for Hearts against Celtic. He...
  5. E

Team for Sunday

Come on let's stop fretting about transfers and look ahead to Sunday. There are a few selection posers for AN even after the stupendous win in the last match. Does he recall Fisher if fit, if Browne is not available does he slot Johnson straight back in, does he recall Barkhuizen and if so at...
  6. E

Pure Pedantry

Just a couple of thoughts but when we play on Saturday I think I am right in saying that this will the club's first ever competitive game behind closed doors. I think there has been the odd occasion previously when clubs have had to play games with no spectators as punishments for crowd...
  7. E

Team for Saturday

Let's move on - great news about Fisher. As for Saturday the defence now picks itself unless AN decides to recall Clarke or Huntington in the centre or go for Rafferty's greater agility at left-back. But assuming he doesn't then the core midfield of Pearson, Johnson and Browne remains the best...
  8. E

Highlights from Last Night

Highlights from FA Youth Cup game here: https://www.pnefc.net/ifollow/video-archive/ The penalty from Walker confident to say the least though I prefer the Gallagher approach of just hitting them hard.
  9. E

Gallagher and Browne

I know there is a lot of excitement about Sinclair but two players who really need to up their game over the next few weeks compared with the last few weeks if we are to get back in the play-off positions are Gallagher and Browne. Browne has been misfiring since almost this time last season...
  10. E

Team for Wednesday

A shake-up needed: Rudd Fisher, Bauer (if fit) or Huntington, Davies, Hughes or Rafferty (the latter seems sharper in attack even though right-footed) Pearson, Gallagher (we must get another experienced player for this position but at the moment with Johnson injured Gallagher is the only...
  11. E

Christmas Greetings

I am sure that in previous years this board has been given a festive appearance at Christmas. But even if it hasn't this year can I just say that all North Enders everywhere have a peaceful and joyous Christmas. We do sometimes bicker with each other but we are all still part of some sort of...
  12. E

Some Brilliance by Stockley

Not the goal though his composure was great but the incident that followed when he won a forward headed pass from Pearson, controlled it as he ran away from the goal and then swivelled to play the lovely little dinked pass that sent Barkhuizen away to make the cross that Harrop possibly...
  13. E

Team for Tuesday

Let's move on. We need pace, movement, energy , determination, inventiveness - none of which were evident today. It seems unlikely Johnson will be back and while Gallagher - if fit - brings experience he does tend to want to play big long high balls that often just get headed straight back. So...
  14. E

Well At Least....

..Doncaster have just been knocked out of the FA Cup so no chance of that particular episode of ignominy being repeated this time round. Curious that the Cup draw tomorrow seems to have attracted no speculation here - just shows that everyone is rather deflated. We need a win or two pretty...
  15. E

Team for Tuesday

Perhaps a bit of freshening up would not come amiss - just to give us a bit more bite in midfield and presence right upfront: Rudd Fisher, Bauer, Davies, Rafferty Pearson, Ledson or Browne Barkhuizen, Johnson, Maguire Nugent This might also be a match where Stockley might be a useful...
  16. E

i-Follow Higlights Quality

Anyone else finding that the video image quality on match highlights from the club site is very poor at the moment - stop-start and slightly fuzzy?
  17. E

Team for Tuesday

Need to give the players who have not had much opportunity this season a chance to stake a claim: Ripley Clarke, Storey, Huntington, Rafferty Ledson, Bayliss Ginnelly, Harrop, Green Stockley Would it make sense to start Fisher to help him get up to speed? If fit should Nugent start...
  18. E

Sometimes Not Having So Much Money is Maybe Not Such a Bad Thing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/16/sheffield-united-funded-3m-loan-osama-bin-ladens-family-court/
  19. E

Barkhuizen

Just seen this https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/exclusive-tom-barkhuizen-preston-north-end-column-my-knee-is-fixed-now-to-mend-my-fractured-wrist-1-9732009 Got to say Barks confirms directly what seemed evident from watching him play - that his attacking form has...
  20. E

Bert Trautmann at PNE

There is a new film out about Bert Trautmann the German who played for Man City and famously played the last 17 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/24/footballs-greatest-story-ex-nazi-became-hero-manchester-city/ Now the thing is he...