PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

🎶Riis is the word.🎶

We don't actually have any wingers in the squad. Just strikers or midfielders who can play wide.

The blunt fact is we don't play with wingers - instead our attacking width is provided by overlapping fullbacks or the likes of Sinclair and Barkhuizen playing semi-striker, semi-wide attacker roles.

Riis can also be very effective when he moves wide - the way he laid on the chance from which Potts hit the post the other night is a good example.

As such I am not sure what need we might have for a conventional winger.

Technically, Maguire still has plenty of ability, good touch and he holds it up well for his size. Still got that anticipation too.

Just zero acceleration these days and no confidence in front of goal.

I'd like to see him given a go playing behind Riis.

I dont wanna be one of those Xg or whatever it is guys. But wasn't maguire in the top 5 for championship players for it last year but with an awful conversion rate.

Only Bamford was worse with all the sitters he missed.

But as you can see with Bamford this season its confidence. Obviously putting it in the net matters most, but being in the right spot is more than half the job.

I think Riis offers more and away from home he should start without question. At home, Maguire might have more to offer for now depending on how the other team set up.

Riis is very much an uncut gem at the moment but even uncut there is plenty to like

I dont wanna be one of those Xg or whatever it is guys. But wasn't maguire in the top 5 for championship players for it last year but with an awful conversion rate.

But as you can see with Bamford this season its confidence. Obviously putting it in the net matters most, but being in the right spot is more than half the job.

I think Riis offers more and away from home he should start without question. At home, Maguire might have more to offer for now depending on how the other team set up.

Riis is very much an uncut gem at the moment but even uncut there is plenty to like
It was either last season or the season before, but I remember as of a few months into the season Maguire was in the top 6 highest Xg of strikers in the league, alongside Bamford, Mitrovic, Watkins etc. They were all well into double figures and I think he was on 3

We don't actually have any wingers in the squad. Just strikers or midfielders who can play wide.True
True, and the Days of the out winger with no other role are long gone.
However, That doesn't mean to say that getting the Ball to a wide player in a forward position and then to cross into the Box isn't still one of the more exciting aspects of Football

Does playing at home or away actually make any difference when there are no crowds?
Too much over-complication.

Does playing at home or away actually make any difference when there are no crowds?
Too much over-complication.

I think the fans or lack of them has changed home advantage statistically in games - with refs less likely to be homers without the crowd.

But yeah I think it is just how teams are setting up tactically.

Riis has had his best games for us away from home and I dont think its a coincidence

I suggest it would make a difference with crowds on watching the current rubbish at Deepdale

But not in the way I think you are suggesting
LoL

“I think Emil is going to be a top, top player,” said Savage. “What people have to understand is that Emil moved over whilst a pandemic was still going on, he went into a flat in Manchester, he had to wait a month or so for his girlfriend to come over, and then the lockdown happened.”

“I’d like to think next year, depending on how Frankie sets his team up because I know he finished with the 3-5-2, I think you could see a real dangerous player in Emil now he’s fully settled and he understands the environment,” he added.

I'm not as optimistic as Mr. Savage when it comes to Riis. Decent attributes, but I'm not sure I can ever see him getting more than seven goals in a season. He's a threat in behind and in the channels, but not between the posts in the box.

If he was played correctly, he could be a dangerous player for us.

Hoofing it up to him, which is what AN and FM both tried, before losing patience, isn't going to bring the best out of him.
But equally he's not going to do much if you play it to his feet all the time. As Savage says in the podcast, Ched is far better than him in that department.

You are correct in suggesting he'd be dangerous if we just played it in behind for him all the time, but that's easier said than done. Firstly there isn't always the space, and secondly it relies on the player himself making those runs.

I can see potential in him but I think you need to look at the player himself before looking at the manager. Being able to trap a ball would be a good start for Emil, and then we can go from there.

But equally he's not going to do much if you play it to his feet all the time. As Savage says in the podcast, Ched is far better than him in that department.

You are correct in suggesting he'd be dangerous if we just played it in behind for him all the time, but that's easier said than done. Firstly there isn't always the space, and secondly it relies on the player himself making those runs.

I can see potential in him but I think you need to look at the player himself before looking at the manager. Being able to trap a ball would be a good start for Emil, and then we can go from there.
Sure - well maybe one of our brilliant coaches can get on it.

Emil gets into some cracking positions with the ball but then takes that fatal one touch too many.

His mental decision making needs improving, almost everything else (bar his heading) is there.
This. With better decision making he’d have had at least 3 more goals and at least 2 more penalties won, but didn’t know when to hit it or when to go down - Rovers away being the prime example

This. With better decision making he’d have had at least 3 more goals and at least 2 more penalties won, but didn’t know when to hit it or when to go down - Rovers away being the prime example
100% this.

He has copied that Rovers moment elsewhere, just can't remember the game(s).