PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

10th February 1990

Waddie

Clearing out paperwork and came across this. Think I sent it to the club:

To anyone who will listen,

A non event was turned into an event at Deepdale today, and I believe it was of great significance to all football fans and football authorities alike.

This particular incident can only be fully understood if you are a PNE supporter and fully aware of our feelings concerning the management of the club and the decimation of our team!

The reports that I have read and heard so far have been badly reported and the incident misunderstood.

I will endeavour to explain.

It is a great 'bone of contention' with North End fans that the visiting supporters are given relative luxury when they visit Deepdale, namely the covered Town End stand. We should be proud of being able to accomodate several thousand visiting supporters undercover, but when you consider that the great majority of the loyal home supporters have to stand on uncovered terraces, there is no wonder we feel aggravated.

PNE have an enviable reputation of having a large away following. When you consider the amount of money that we put into the coffers of other clubs and the facilities that we are offered (cages that come straight from the zoo, mounds of earth, garden rockeries, all presumably with safety certificates) it is no wonder that this is an emotive issue!

You should by now have a picture in your mind. Now let us relate this picture to the incident at Deepdale.

Shortly after kick off there was an incredible downpour. Those people who could move undercover did so, but those people in the Paddock had nowhere to go, until that is, somebody showed some compassion and inititiative in letting them into the Town End. I smiled inwardly as I had never before seen initiative used by the authorities at a football match. It must be pointed out that the Town End is divided into two separate, sections, the away fans using one side and the other is normally kept closed.

The rain stopped, the PNE fans on the Town End watched the match, The Bristol Rovers on the Town End watched the match and PNE were for once playing some reasonable football (well nearly). Then a message came over the tannoy,
''Would the PNE fans on the Town End please go back to the Paddock''
To use modern terminology, I and the vast majority of the crowd were 'gobsmacked'. That message had immediately struck a very sensitive nerve. When it was again repeated it was drowned out by the booing of the crowd. Our emotions had quickly become aroused and we were voicing our total disapproval of the message.

An 'incident' had now developed from nothing. The authorities had over reacted again! The referee was advised/told not to start the second half until the fanse retreated back to the Paddock. They didn't movee, why should they? They were causing no harm to anyone, THEY HAD ONLY BEEN KEEPING DRY!

Three fans ran on the pitch pointing and shouting at the directors box (covered). It was obvious what they were shouting,
''Stop treating us like dirt, we've had enough of it''
They then sat down in the centre circle, the fans on the Town End sat down (the Taylor report recomends all seater stadia. What the hell is a stadia)?

Was an ugly incident about to occur? No, the three left the pitch and eventually the fans left the Town End. There was no trouble from anyone and the softly softly approach by the police was noted and respected.

I will never forget what happened at that match, and neither should anyone else. It was not premeditated, it was not expected, it only rained!

THE FANS SPOKE

and what was said was respect us, treat us like human beings, and most of all, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!

Yours faithfully,

Heady stuff eh, bloody hooligans. Any one owning up to being one of the three?

I also wrote a similar letter around that time. Fed up of stood in the rain , home and away ( except Rotherham who gave us a roof) The response I got was that it was on police instructione and they were resistant to changing the away end because of the convenience of the coaches parking outside the town end. Something like that!

Poor treatment of their own fans, and under development of the ground , was one of a number of reasons we continued our downfall to reelection. It was John Beck, then Baxi , that turned the tide.

I remember back in the day my Dad writing to the Club about the Junior Whites being put in pretty much the only uncovered bit of terracing in the ground at the time (the bit next to the Kop before the Pavillion Stand). Remember getting piss wet through a number of times.

He's still waiting for his reply.

[QUOTE="Waddie, post: 3694 Clearing out paperwork and came across this. Think I sent it to the club:
They then sat down in the centre circle, the fans on the Town End sat down (the Taylor report recomends all seater stadia. What the hell is a stadia)?[/QUOTE]

Did you ever find out? 😂

I've heard this tale used by my peers many times to describe the contempt the club used to hold put fans.

I remember going on the trail town end game that Beck and the ISA arranged which was a midweek game. It was brilliant and whilst I will always be a kopite the old town end was a major part of why I loved going on North End every week.

In modern times you can argue that away fans at Deepdale get far better treatment than ours do away from home.

Away fans get to sit in my view the best stand at Deepdale and are allocated seats from the middle outwards.

Whereas we usually get put in the shitest or most expensive stand and usually stuck in a corner.

[QUOTE="Waddie, post: 3694 Clearing out paperwork and came across this. Think I sent it to the club:
They then sat down in the centre circle, the fans on the Town End sat down (the Taylor report recomends all seater stadia. What the hell is a stadia)?[/QUOTE]

Did you ever find out? 😂
Stadia is the plural of stadium.

I think that its the fact that sometimes you go to a half empty stadium but you are still stuck in some corner as far away from the action as possible.

I think of the likes of MK Dons where the whole of one end of a decent sized ground was available and they stuck us in a corner, it was nice and warm as it was the only place on the ground were the sun shone right in your eyes.

And bloody Sunderland were right behind the goals they put some of their own fans, about six in an area that would hold about five thousand and they stuck us right at the back of this massive stand, it was like watching on the telly, we were warming up at the far end and I didn’t notice we had changed goalies as he looked about ant sized from the back of this stand. 😟

Clearing out paperwork and came across this. Think I sent it to the club:

To anyone who will listen,

A non event was turned into an event at Deepdale today, and I believe it was of great significance to all football fans and football authorities alike.

This particular incident can only be fully understood if you are a PNE supporter and fully aware of our feelings concerning the management of the club and the decimation of our team!

The reports that I have read and heard so far have been badly reported and the incident misunderstood.

I will endeavour to explain.

It is a great 'bone of contention' with North End fans that the visiting supporters are given relative luxury when they visit Deepdale, namely the covered Town End stand. We should be proud of being able to accomodate several thousand visiting supporters undercover, but when you consider that the great majority of the loyal home supporters have to stand on uncovered terraces, there is no wonder we feel aggravated.

PNE have an enviable reputation of having a large away following. When you consider the amount of money that we put into the coffers of other clubs and the facilities that we are offered (cages that come straight from the zoo, mounds of earth, garden rockeries, all presumably with safety certificates) it is no wonder that this is an emotive issue!

You should by now have a picture in your mind. Now let us relate this picture to the incident at Deepdale.

Shortly after kick off there was an incredible downpour. Those people who could move undercover did so, but those people in the Paddock had nowhere to go, until that is, somebody showed some compassion and inititiative in letting them into the Town End. I smiled inwardly as I had never before seen initiative used by the authorities at a football match. It must be pointed out that the Town End is divided into two separate, sections, the away fans using one side and the other is normally kept closed.

The rain stopped, the PNE fans on the Town End watched the match, The Bristol Rovers on the Town End watched the match and PNE were for once playing some reasonable football (well nearly). Then a message came over the tannoy,
''Would the PNE fans on the Town End please go back to the Paddock''
To use modern terminology, I and the vast majority of the crowd were 'gobsmacked'. That message had immediately struck a very sensitive nerve. When it was again repeated it was drowned out by the booing of the crowd. Our emotions had quickly become aroused and we were voicing our total disapproval of the message.

An 'incident' had now developed from nothing. The authorities had over reacted again! The referee was advised/told not to start the second half until the fanse retreated back to the Paddock. They didn't movee, why should they? They were causing no harm to anyone, THEY HAD ONLY BEEN KEEPING DRY!

Three fans ran on the pitch pointing and shouting at the directors box (covered). It was obvious what they were shouting,
''Stop treating us like dirt, we've had enough of it''
They then sat down in the centre circle, the fans on the Town End sat down (the Taylor report recomends all seater stadia. What the hell is a stadia)?

Was an ugly incident about to occur? No, the three left the pitch and eventually the fans left the Town End. There was no trouble from anyone and the softly softly approach by the police was noted and respected.

I will never forget what happened at that match, and neither should anyone else. It was not premeditated, it was not expected, it only rained!

THE FANS SPOKE

and what was said was respect us, treat us like human beings, and most of all, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!

Yours faithfully,

Heady stuff eh, bloody hooligans. Any one owning up to being one of the three?
I was there and remember it pretty much as you say. I remained in the Town End after the announcement and at one stage the players came over to try and restore 'order'. Poor Graham Shaw was almost in tears, as one bloke gave his own personal appraisal of Shaw's performances. Warren Joyce was another who came over. Also, I remember the Bristol Rovers fans being pissed off at the delayed restart. I can't remember though, how long the second half was delayed.
IIRC, it was just before John McGrath got sacked and there was a lot of unrest at the time over the sales of, Ellis, Brazil, Philliskirk and Patterson. On saying that, we did bring in Bogie and Flynn. But after getting in the play offs the season before, we were basically shit.

One of the lads who ran onto the pitch, the 1st lad Paul, I used to drink with and play pool with at Gastons back in the day. He sat right on the centre circle.

Was a good lad.

I was in the Crazy Corner Paddock somewhere as was Paul.

I remember playing Bristol Rovers in an FA Cup tie at Deepdale in 1981.

we were 0-4 down at half time , but in the second half we staged a really good comeback only to just fall short..

The final score was 3-4....