PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

1980's Venues in Preston that employed dancers

I used to love the atmosphere in the Hollywood Bar... The DJ was Pete Oddy .... he was as rude as hell, but it made for good entertainment.

I celebrated my 30th birthday in there ( 1990 ) by dancing on the bar , playing a tambourine whilst drinking a pint of blue bols and cider
Superb post.

I did similar for my 18th in Gastones.

Yard of ale, several pints of sas and loads of gyrating.

Was that near the Gatsby?
Yep. You had to knock on the door and a little hatch opened so they could decide whether or not to let you in. Always the last resort if you got knocked back from every other club in town.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Yep. You had to knock on the door and a little hatch opened so they could decide whether or not to let you in. Always the last resort if you got knocked back from every other club in town.

Recall Bernard Manning and a host of strippers from Bradford at The Piper one evening.

Manning hits us with everything that night , bloody fantastic.

Different time , different place , different me .

Superb post.

I did similar for my 18th in Gastones.

Yard of ale, several pints of sas and loads of gyrating.

Gastons and Peter Oddy bring back so many memories - thank you.

Does anybody remember Steve Tatts who used to do the karaoke, mainly down New Hall Lane?

Recall Bernard Manning and a host of strippers from Bradford at The Piper one evening.

Manning hits us with everything that night , bloody fantastic.

Different time , different place , different me .
Saw him at The Piper late 80's, he was past his best but still bloody funny, despite the questionable material. Doug Mountjoy was there as well. Think he'd just reached the final of the UK Championship at The Guildhall, which he went in to win.

Saw him at The Piper late 80's, he was past his best but still bloody funny, despite the questionable material. Doug Mountjoy was there as well. Think he'd just reached the final of the UK Championship at The Guildhall, which he went in to win.

Funnily enough I was with a couple of mates in the Stanley Arms one evening propping the bar up. In walks Reardon , Werbeniuk and Thorburn. Seriously ! Wtf ! ( they were playing at the Guild Hall).

They simply joined in our conversation as if they’d know us for years and bought us loads of ale.

Top blokes and so funny with their tales of the snooker circuit.

Funnily enough I was with a couple of mates in the Stanley Arms one evening propping the bar up. In walks Reardon , Werbeniuk and Thorburn. Seriously ! Wtf ! ( they were playing at the Guild Hall).

They simply joined in our conversation as if they’d know us for years and bought us loads of ale.

Top blokes and so funny with their tales of the snooker circuit.
I had a similar experience involving Alex Higgins and Patsy Fagan in the Red Lion. Good times. :)

Aye The Cherry Tree aka 'the blood tub' proper establishment were men were men and women were also men most of the time :) deffo a last resort destination.

Anyone remember The Warehouse down by what was back then the parish church ?

Aye The Cherry Tree aka 'the blood tub' proper establishment were men were men and women were also men most of the time :) deffo a last resort destination.

Anyone remember The Warehouse down by what was back then the parish church ?
I was always in the Warehouse as I used to have a flat 50 yards away from it. And my bird at the time was a gorgeous looking goth girl who had a flat 50 yards the other way! I remember seeing Southern Death Cult play there after we saw them boozing in the moonraker and Ian Astbury had the hots for my bird so they put us on the guest list. I played there myself in a few dodgy bands, then went in quite regularly when it became 'Raiders'.
On hot summer nights we'd be so pissed we often ended up sleeping on that grass knoll by the Parish Church even though we only lived round the corner.
We couldn't even make it home!
I also remember when the Warehouse used to have a Caribbean restaurant called Cayso above it too.

Last edited:
Used to watch The Stiffs, a punk band from Blackburn, a bit as I knew a couple of them and went to the Warehouse one night. The band had a following from E Lancs and there was a crowd of us having a good 'un.
When the bulk of us left, the local Preston lads set about the E Lancs lads for a bit of fun. Happy days eh????? Mind you they were from Burnley so fair dinkum eh?

The Harley Davidson place on Strand Rd started out as a bar cum nightclub. Single night was Tuesday i think it was rammed with blokes tho all with their wedding rings in their wallets ! Days before mobiles etc. .