PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

2 Full Backs off being a decent unit

Oh HughieHughie

Patron
Despite the departure of the 2 Ben's I really believe we're not far off being a decent unit, unfortunately at full back we are bang average or worse. Personally I've always thought it would be a lot easier to recruit for these positions rather than the more creative players in midfield or attack.

I hope Josh Earl will kick on but how long that will that take under AN who knows- Hughes just isn't good enough
I think there is a player in Darnel I just wish he had character rather than attitude but I expect right backs to play 40 games a season and be booked when taking one for the team not for being gobby or niggly. Don't get me going on Joe Rafferty he's a million miles away from being competent at this level

Most sides at championship level seem to have competent full backs yet this seems an area we've struggled with since Greg Cunningham...not sure we've had a really good right back for a good few years?

A loan or acquisition in the full back positions I really believe could transform us into a side capable of challenging for the top 6

Totally agree, getting one or two full backs in full flow would massively improve our chances of promotion. Cunningham pre injury was a class act. Random question, who was right back at that time? I'm having total mind blank!! Small forest was around, but other than him? (I'll kick myself as soon as its said)

Totally agree, getting one or two full backs in full flow would massively improve our chances of promotion. Cunningham pre injury was a class act. Random question, who was right back at that time? I'm having total mind blank!! Small forest was around, but other than him? (I'll kick myself as soon as its said)
Got promoted with Small forest and Clarke available there I think. Humphrey played wingback sometimes.

Vermijl

I’ve been saying this for a while. 2 new full backs are a must for me. In my opinion they are the most important players on the pitch and unfortunately for us this is our weakest area. We sort this out and we’ll be there or there abouts.

I think we're 2 full backs and a centre back off having a decent defensive unit - 2 centre backs if Davies is going to be off as well.

Which is quite a few players to be short.

I think the fact Fisher was dragged off after yet another ridiculous pointless booking said alot to be honest.

I was bigging up Darnell earlier in the season but possibly could have been because he was a massive improvement on Rafferty.

Like you say Darnell usually is brilliant for some games then has a poor game, sadly recently he just hasn't been on it.

As Paddy said we have looked at right backs in the last few windows but not spent the money.

Given we need two CB's as Ben Davies will be sold i think we will go with what we've got this window.

I think the fact Fisher was dragged off after yet another ridiculous pointless booking said alot to be honest.

I was bigging up Darnell earlier in the season but possibly could have been because he was a massive improvement on Rafferty.

Like you say Darnell usually is brilliant for some games then has a poor game, sadly recently he just hasn't been on it.

As Paddy said we have looked at right backs in the last few windows but not spent the money.

Given we need two CB's as Ben Davies will be sold i think we will go with what we've got this window.
At this point I'm assuming Bauer + hunts, not perfect but good full backs dont half make centre backs lives easier especially those than tuck around and provide cover

Are you only talking about the Full back positions, regarding that you said that you think that we go with what we got or are you also talking about other positions aswell.

Are you only talking about the Full back positions, regarding that you said that you think that we go with what we got or are you also talking about other positions aswell.

I would love us to bring in two new full backs.

However, as its been said Hughes and Earl have both bee given new long term contracts.

Rafftery isn't up to it and we've spoken about Fisher a lot on here but can't see them carrying three RB's.

Ben Davies wants out and the club will want some money for him so will aim to get him out this window. We need to be confident to either sell him first or replace him before he is sold.

We haven't replaced the BFG.

Unless Davies is kept till the summer two CB are a absolute must for me.

Most good teams have good full backs and the best teams probably build their team on the strength of their full backs. Good full backs get plenty of assists throughout a season, but apart from one or two from Fisher, we don’t get many assists from full backs. This is an area we need to improve. Unfortunately, we’ve already given Hughes a new contract. I hope we don’t make the same mistake with Fisher.

Westley was ahead of the times😂 as he built his team from our full backs, but unfortunately for him when both full backs picked up serious injuries, he had no plan B. What I wouldn’t give for a Championship standard Scott Laird.

I agree with you regarding the CB, but after tonight’s comments by Neil regarding a winger, don’t you think that we will sign another winger aswell, I do. If Davies stays, signing another CB & Winger will satisfy me until the summer.

I agree with you regarding the CB, but after tonight’s comments by Neil regarding a winger, don’t you think that we will sign another winger aswell, I do. If Davies stays, signing another CB & Winger will satisfy me until the summer.

I honestly can't see Davies being here in February Keith.

Like I said after the Wycombe game we need much more than a refresh but a massive turn around of players of which we need better quality.

A winger would be to replace Bodin, although I have no idea if he is fit enough to even be sold or loaned out.

Why sign another winger when we fail to utilise Sinclair and Barkhuzen, the more AN bleats I think Keegan at Newcastle? Newcastle would score 3/4 to have a chance of winning but they created chances. Neil thinks sign more midfielders/wingers will solve the problems. With the exception of Riis looking quite threatening in the short time he’s been here yet not starting. Midfield rarely getting close to opposing box. Alex you have to stop them at our end

It needs a loan signing to cover for Bauer until the summer and then a permanent signing to replace Davies.

Can’t see us signing a left back given we’ve just extended both their contracts but they do both have real flaws.

I don’t see why we can’t sign a right back this month though. There are a few decent ones knocking about and the LEP did mention it’s an area we are looking at.

RB, CB, CB, W in

Pearson, Davies, Bodin, Harrop, Stockley out ?

Then re-assess in the summer.