'2038' - the new Y2K armageddon?

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
An interesting one for all fans of the millenium bug.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
I reckon there are 2024 and 2049 bugs as well sitting squirrelled away depending just how lazy a developer you contracted/employed during the Y2K era.

Naming no names or pointing fingers at newly graduated developers who were tasked with this job. No siree, Wouldn't catch me doing shortcuts like that.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
I'm no expert on these things, but by isn't the problem already being addressed starting with the gradual phasing out of 32 bit systems in favour of 64 bit?

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I reckon there are 2024 and 2049 bugs as well sitting squirrelled away depending just how lazy a developer you contracted/employed during the Y2K era.

Naming no names or pointing fingers at newly graduated developers who were tasked with this job. No siree, Wouldn't catch me doing shortcuts like that.
The true entrepreneur. Your own little work creation program.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron

Is there no end to your crimes against humanity? You caused the 2008 banking crash and now leave us with this problem.

Hope you have never been near Wuhan.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Is there no end to your crimes against humanity? You caused the 2008 banking crash and now leave us with this problem.

Hope you have never been near Wuhan.

Just wait till you see how I coded the "Transfer targets and player contracts" algorithm into North Ends spreadsheet back in the mid-2000s. I did two versions, the first one I wasn't entirely convinced was working I sold to some bloke in down the pub in West London. Some Griffin place. Nailed the second version and mailed it to Maurice Lindsay and I think they still use it now.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
You didn’t read the article!
Yes, and 64 bit will have eliminated the problem for all but older computers. Also just like the millennium bug they're saying that offline systems are most at risk. It was all fine last time last time but I think it'll be a milking ground for IT consultants as @pnewortham jokes.

As I said, I'm no expert so feel free to show me that I'm wrong. :)

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
In 1999 I was pulled in to a Y2k mitigation team. It wasn't really my area at all, but I was approached because I had half a brain and they needed to implement a massive testing program to cover a load of analytical equipment.

It was great fun. We mostly created Excel spreadsheets which identified that most of our equipment & software had no mitigations themselves from the manufacturers / suppliers, so we just marked everything down as a massive risk.

I was quite looking forward to armageddon on Jan 1st. And a bit disappointed when the whole place didn't go into meltdown.

To think of the man-hours wasted on that, crazy.