5 years of DJ

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
He's been class and obvious quality right from the start.

But I think a lot of fans who e.g. wanted to drive him to Wigan themselves now claim the player was shit then (as they had said) but is better now (thereby justifying their 180° reverse ferret) because to admit the alternative - that he was never shit, they were simply hopelessly wrong about the player - would be too much for them to bear.

No, it must have been the player all along.
Quite correct.

We've been asking for a ball playing midfielder who can pick and pass and score goals for years and when we get one he gets hammered for apparently not being able to tackle or giving the ball away whilst trying to play a killer pass.

Quite correct.

We've been asking for a ball playing midfielder who can pick and pass and score goals for years and when we get one he gets hammered for apparently not being able to tackle or giving the ball away whilst trying to play a killer pass.
His tackling is pretty good now. I would even say that he has turned a weakness into a strength, just watch him in that regard the next game. In the Man City game this season I thought the only player who looked completely comfortable in that company was DJ, he has long been our best technical player.

sussexrob

Forum Patron
Patron
He has a lazy looking style, people can't always see past it. Quality is what I see.
Its the Rasta in him don't worry and all that , i saw him getting off the bus at Reading he looked so relaxed he made me want to go to sleep. Mind you that match i may well have been asleep.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Barky comments sum it up:
"Barky hails DJs influence"
Also Pearson, as shown below. Over the summer one PNE twitter fan page stated that Burke was a better player than DJ. It remains the most stupid PNE related comment I've ever seen.

Pearson said: “It has been brilliant to have DJ back. It’s tough when he is missing, he’s that link in midfield.

“DJ does a bit of everything in midfield, he gets on the ball and creates things, he’s a willing runner in both directions.

“Having him back gives the rest of the squad confidence because he is so effective.

“This season he’s been getting his goal figures back up and playing that advanced role has helped him.

“When you see DJ training you see consistency, quality and confidence from him.

“There will be times when players lose a bit of form, that doesn’t mean you are bad player.

“I’ve sometimes been hot and cold and that can lead you to doubt yourself.

“But then you go and have a good game and things seem a lot better.

“It’s all about consistency at this level, being seven, eight or nine out of 10 as often as possible.”

jgriff2296

Forum Patron
Patron
Also Pearson, as shown below. Over the summer one PNE twitter fan page stated that Burke was a better player than DJ. It remains the most stupid PNE related comment I've ever seen.
Bloody hell, there's some competition for that accolade - but I agree.

ChuckD

Manager
No coincidence that when DJ comes back from injury we start winning again. He seems to be the glue that holds it all together and we play with much more confidence when he’s playing, most effective in the number 10 role.

SoccerHQ

Manager
Can't get over how underrated he generally is on this forum. Remember he signed for 50k! One of the all time bargains.

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
Can't get over how underrated he generally is on this forum. Remember he signed for 50k! One of the all time bargains.
Don't think he's underrated this season. He's been incredible, great in possession, good finisher and working hard defensively as well.

OP
kbd_pne

kbd_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
Don't think he's underrated this season. He's been incredible, great in possession, good finisher and working hard defensively as well.
The amount of running he put in on Wednesday night (along with others) was phenomenal. He is some athlete.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Daniel has been a fantastic professional footballer at Deepdale. I went to Bradford in the cup a few years ago, and he was head and shoulders above the rest on that day and scored a beauty. His standards have rarely dropped since.
His relaxed demeanour often disguises a quick, agile and thoughtful player who pops up all over the place. The other players seem to love him and he always looks like he has nothing left in him by the end of the match.
Every time I have seen him play, he covers a hell of a lot of ground. Yes, he doesn't fly into tackles, Pearson-like, but that's not his job, IMO. Close down, pressure, and perhaps stick a foot in - that's enough for me.

He's a player who can unlock packed defences - we talk about finding a replacement for Gallagher as he ages, but perhaps he was here all along!

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
He has really stepped up this season and added consistency to his game. His talent has never been in dispute
just to think paddy, I remember you saying he infuriated you , just shows a run of form , being played in the right position and the required effort being shown and boom , hes gone from a good player to a great player (y)

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
Every time I have seen him play, he covers a hell of a lot of ground. Yes, he doesn't fly into tackles, Pearson-like, but that's not his job, IMO. Close down, pressure, and perhaps stick a foot in - that's enough for me.

He's a player who can unlock packed defences - we talk about finding a replacement for Gallagher as he ages, but perhaps he was here all along!
I’d argue he’s a slightly different player to Gallagher. Carries far more of a goal threat in open play and is best deployed behind the striker, either shooting from just outside the box or finding his way in there to finish. Gallagher’s advancing years means he’s become more of a playmaker from deep.

In terms of creativity with the ball at their feet, they are similar, I agree.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
just to think paddy, I remember you saying he infuriated you , just shows a run of form , being played in the right position and the required effort being shown and boom , hes gone from a good player to a great player (y)
Yeah he did. I've said it a few times over the years I thought he was our most technically gifted player. It was his lack of consistency that drove me spare. Really pleased to him showing what he is capable of regularly.

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner
I remember some bellend comparing him to a floating crisp packet in terms of his presence on the pitch