What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

A bit of photography

Waddie

Forum Patron
Patron
It would have been taken from a helicopter or plane. There are quite a few companies around the world that take photos of ships, either for the ships owner or purely for commercial reasons.
In the days when ships departed the UK full of goods only to to return many months later with a cargo of tea (as my first ship MV Mahout) a gentleman would appear on board selling photos of the ship taken supposedly as you past Lands End a few days before whereas it could have been taken at anytime. The state of the paintwork was a good indication of when it was taken, and quite often they were taken just after the vessel had left drydock, all clean and pristine!

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
You’d be in very big trouble if it didn’t rock from side to side
And be assured. There’s plenty flex in a wing - they are 40 metres by the way

This is a test rig, items like wings are tested to destruction for many years before they even see production and are still tested whilst in production

I remember being on a flight where seasoned travellers applauded when the plane landed and all I could say was, “well I never knew planes wings could flap like that “

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
It would have been taken from a helicopter or plane. There are quite a few companies around the world that take photos of ships, either for the ships owner or purely for commercial reasons.
In the days when ships departed the UK full of goods only to to return many months later with a cargo of tea (as my first ship MV Mahout) a gentleman would appear on board selling photos of the ship taken supposedly as you past Lands End a few days before whereas it could have been taken at anytime. The state of the paintwork was a good indication of when it was taken, and quite often they were taken just after the vessel had left drydock, all clean and pristine!
Sounds like the aerial photography company, used to come round trying to flog us photos of our house.

An early precursor to Google street view I suppose.

Waddie

Forum Patron
Patron
Over the years it has been made obvious that the Merchant Navy is a bit of enigma to most people with them not knowing the difference between 'The Merch' and 'The Royal', which is a pity, as both play very important parts in completely different ways.

I am the fourth generation in my family to have been to sea, and believe you me the lifestyle that each of us has endured are as different as you could ever imagine. You just need to read the letter that my grandfather wrote to see what he had to cope with (see link, appreciate that a few have read it when Ioriginally posted it)

I've shown you a few pictures of equipment within an engine room, but there is a lot more on board that needs maintaining, the accommodation, air conditioning, galley, and deck equipment, so there is a lot to keep the engineer occupied when the engine is running (a question I was often asked, ''what do you do when the engine is running'').

I appreciate the thread was opened as a showcase for creative and photogenic photography, and my recent posts certainly haven't been either, so I have taken a bit of a liberty. I promise that my next photo inclusion will be based on pure photogenic qualities!

I hope that at least a few of you have enjoyed my tutorial, appologies to those that haven't. Questions will be asked at a later stage!

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Photography of football. Martin Parr is my favourite photographer in any case. His pictures can capture a whole spectrum of ideas and emotions, speaking about british culture and human nature.
I'd love to get to see this but ironically an exhibition of pictures of Northern football culture had to be in London didn't it.
I might have gone on Monday on the way to Fulham but the sods fucked that one up for us as well.

OP
Nobby_Troutface

Nobby_Troutface

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm not claiming credit for these!! Not sure I'd have picked the same winner, but worth a look through:

They are brilliant.

The Winter Sports one stands out for me though. What a capture that is!
I've never seen anything like that one.

I know it's al using timers and continuous shutter at fast speeds but all the same, it got the image they wanted.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Way too kind Sid. I could only dream of taking shots like that!

I'd love to be allowed to take my gear on Deepdale though, from a photographers viewpoint at the side of the pitch.

I'm always jealous when I see those big grey lenses close to the action.

Maybe have a word with the club to see if they could give you access for one game only, under the conditions, probably, that you make no money from the pictures and they retain copyright?

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
That’s not a bad idea. Maybe a Central

That’s not a bad idea. Maybe a Central League game might be the way to go.

Nooooo, go the whole hog and request a Championship fixture 😉. Start at the top, it's easier than trying to work your way up.

Seriously, Nobby, if you need any help from me with this, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can. @Joanpne has Peter Ridsdale's email address which I'm sure she'll share with you - you can't start much higher than that 🙂.

OP
Nobby_Troutface

Nobby_Troutface

Forum Patron
Patron
Nooooo, go the whole hog and request a Championship fixture 😉. Start at the top, it's easier than trying to work your way up.

Seriously, Nobby, if you need any help from me with this, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can. @Joanpne has Peter Ridsdale's email address which I'm sure she'll share with you - you can't start much higher than that 🙂.
Haha you’re right Sid. Big game and let them knock me down to a light training session 🤣
Seriously though, it’s something I’d love to have a crack at and I think I’ll definitely get in touch with the club about it 😊