PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

ACL Injuries

Did my left ACL at 17 and right ACL at 20, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Now 26 and back playing football but I didn't have the surgery until months after the initial injury on both occasions.

Couldn't walk on the first one but the second one I managed to hobble to the car park. I don't believe they're ever the same afterwards but I'm back playing footie and that's what ultimately counts.

I think walking for a couple of minutes isn't going to have a huge impact when you've already done something so hideous like rupture an entire ligament.

Inspired by heroics on here, I just read the Bert Trautmann Wikipedia page. Really interesting story that I didn’t know.

Have you literally been waiting for over a year for that to happen to another player so you could have a pop at other fans?

Clearly with both the physios didn't know they had done a ACL. With noting though when Cunningham got his bad injury he carried on playing, its also been known for players to play on with broken bones etc.

I think its very difficult for physios who have to make a very quick judgement.

Thr Liverpool physio carried out a Lachman test on the pitch. That is the key diagnostic test for ruptured ACL, same as French ski resort physio did on mine. The physio knew on the pitch.

Scans are used to confirm extent of damage to meniscus and other ligaments.

Did my ACL, Medial Ligaments and tore my Cartilage at work of all places on a Saturday lunchtime in April 2000 just before the return of King Kurt for PNE v Cardiff (0-0). Missed his return, gutted.

Had to wait around 3 weeks to allow the swelling to go down before going under the knife.

Never fully collapsed since resulting in surgery but had many a jolt where something inside my knee moves causing me immense pain only to "move" back into place maybe 5 - 10 minutes later, usually happened innocuously when simply walking, knee would just buckle and then man, that pain. This actually hurts more than the original moment I did the damage which left my right leg and knee stuck at a 90* angle. Could not extend and straighten my leg.

Anyway, if you've suffered, then you'll feel empathy with this post of mine.
That sounds like meniscus (cartilage) definitely not on going ACL problems. I have a new ACL ditto wife and daughter. Each of us post op and rehab, have had zero pain or any other issue.

Other daughter had simple meniscus damage that, pre op, had exactly the symptoms you describe.

Did my left ACL at 17 and right ACL at 20, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Now 26 and back playing football but I didn't have the surgery until months after the initial injury on both occasions.

Couldn't walk on the first one but the second one I managed to hobble to the car park. I don't believe they're ever the same afterwards but I'm back playing footie and that's what ultimately counts.

I think walking for a couple of minutes isn't going to have a huge impact when you've already done something so hideous like rupture an entire ligament.

I did mine in January 2016, had the op in October. After training for, and cycling up Mont Ventoux in the September.

I hurt my wrist when playing in goals in five a side.

Much like Alan Kelly Snr though I went and played out field for the rest of the game despite being in agony.

Turned out I had broken it.

Was a worldie of a save that did it though.

That reminds me....

Was unsighted when playing in goal in a 5 a side and took a piledriver right on the end of my fingers, not bending them back but pushing them back into my arm.

Made it through the game but sat out the next one and threw my boots in the bin on the way back to the car.

Woke up in the morning with two aubergines on my right hand and multiple minor fractures!

Not played footy since and the Achilles finished my cricket.

Luckily, I was always considerably better at watching live sport than playing it, although that’s not going particularly well at the moment either.