Afghanistan Troop withdrawal

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Thoughts?

This could be the end of Biden. Biden has made America appear weak and disorganised, which to be fair is what Biden is. Trump started it by negotiating with the Taliban on terms of a withdrawal, all Biden cares about is out by the 9/11 anniversary.
With the Taliban still a presence and the coalition’s hands being (rightly) tied in terms of how they go to war, I see no end to this. If I was a relative of a casualty of this war I’d be fucking furious right now.

Last edited:

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Both the US and UK governments have shown themselves up to be what every sane person knew they were: criminally incompetent. Both Johnson and Biden claimed there was no military way the Taliban could conquer Afghanistan. It took 20 days. Johnson, Raab and Biden WENT ON HOLIDAY right in the middle of this.

All these claims of leaving behind 300,000 well trained Afghan soldiers. A 20 minute conversation with any soldier would’ve told them just how inaccurate this was

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Thoughts?

This could be the end of Biden. Biden has made America appear weak and disorganised, which to be fair is what Biden us. Trump started it by negotiating with the Taliban on terms of a withdrawal, all Biden cares about is out by the 9/11 anniversary.
With the Taliban still a presence and the coalition’s hands being (rightly) tied in terms of how the go to war, I see no end to this. If I was a relative of a casualty if this war I’d be fucking furious right now.

Anyone with half a brain could have seen what would happen next...... What I doubt anyone saw was how quickly the government troops would cave in and run off..... And that's pretty much what they've done. In truth "we "should never have gone there in the first place. More political bollocks, sabre rattling and an awful lot of loss of life for bugger all. I wonder when/if we'll ever learn?.... Mind you when you aren't the ones in the frame/sights then it's easy to make these decisions......

Last edited:
OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Both the US and UK governments have shown themselves up to be what every sane person knew they were: criminally incompetent. Both Johnson and Biden claimed there was no military way the Taliban could conquer Afghanistan. It took 20 days. Johnson, Raab and Biden WENT ON HOLIDAY right in the middle of this.

All these claims of leaving behind 300,000 well trained Afghan soldiers. A 20 minute conversation with any soldier would’ve told them just how inaccurate this was
The Coalition soldiers view on Afghan troops is that they are fucking useless, scared, corrupt, disinterested and untrainable.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
The Coalition soldiers view on Afghan troops is that they are fucking useless, scared, corrupt, disinterested and untrainable.

Looks like they were right.. Someone should have told their gaffers although I'd be surprised if they'd have been prepared to listen.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Yep. When companies were camping, if an Afghan soldier was on watch, there had to be a Coalition soldier on watch too a) to make sure the guard wasn’t a Taliban plant who would try and murder the company whilst they slept and b) because no one trusted that the Afghan guard would be able to handle an attack or report suspicious activity

That’s the people they thought would be able to handle a fight against a group who were patient enough to wait out two world superpowers

MrHodgeheg123

Tickety-boo
What a surprise!
The then world superpower of the 1800's Great Britain (and again in 1919), Superpower Russia 1979- 1989 could only contain and not defeat the Afghans/Taliban.
US and coalition forces of the last 20 years once again only managed to contain the threat.
How on Gods earth did anyone expect anything different to happen than what we are seeing now.
What has happened is criminal.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
There were those who who said, that we should never have gone there in the first place, that it was an unwinnable completely without the benefit of hindsight.

I wonder who it was?

Thing is it didnt need genius to know that, history tells us the russians tried and failed.

Edit: Just seen Hodgeys excellent post above.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Rich in copper, lithium, talc, marble, gold, uranium and others, Afghanistan’s vast mineral wealth is estimated to exceed one trillion dollars.

Rumours are that China and Russia are moving in, though I can't find any concrete evidence of that.

While the Western world is obsessing over internal politics, China, and to a lesser extent Russia, are single mindedly becoming ever more dominant on the global stage. I seriously worry for my kids future.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Perfect illustration of the Afghan army. Bloke I spoke to once who was out there said they’d be regularly found during rest breaks perching on the end of their AK-47s, barrel facing upwards…with the safety off

OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
There were those who who said, that we should never have gone there in the first place, that it was an unwinnable completely without the benefit of hindsight.

I wonder who it was?

Thing is it didnt need genius to know that, history tells us the russians tried and failed.

2010 was 7 years after the conflict began.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Yep, Trump negotiated a pull back of troops, with caveats.

Biden has just gone gung-ho it appears.
Donald Trump has praised Joe Biden’s plans to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan, but criticised a 11 September deadline set by the US president.

Mr Trump said in a written statement on Sunday that pulling all US troops from Afghanistan was "a wonderful and positive thing to do".

However he complained the new administration’s target missed the 1 May deadline formerly agreed between Mr Trump’s negotiators and the Taliban.

The former US president wrote that "we should keep as close to that schedule as possible” and that the withdrawal should be sooner than September out of respect for US forces.

"I wish Joe Biden wouldn't use September 11 as the date to withdraw our troops from Afghanistan,” said Mr Trump, “for two reasons.”

“First, we can and should get out earlier. Nineteen years is enough, in fact, far too much and way too long,” Mr Trump said in the statement, first reported by Axios.

The former president continued by saying that "September 11 represents a very sad event and period for our country and should remain a day of reflection and remembrance honouring those great souls we lost”.

You were saying?

OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
What was the alternative?
Afghanistan was a hotbed for international terrorism. It’s is the world’s largest opium producer. They stone women to death for “adultery”, they execute people in public, they force marriage on young girls, they deny women education.

These Taliban are the scum of the earth.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron

I wonder who it was?

Me ... :D

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Rich in copper, lithium, talc, marble, gold, uranium and others, Afghanistan’s vast mineral wealth is estimated to exceed one trillion dollars.

Rumours are that China and Russia are moving in, though I can't find any concrete evidence of that.

While the Western world is obsessing over internal politics, China, and to a lesser extent Russia, are single mindedly becoming ever more dominant on the global stage. I seriously worry for my kids future.

Think Nostradamus.. :)

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron

I wonder who it was?

If I remember rightly. the Iranians were ready to invade back then, too - they hate the Taliban. Might have been better letting them get on with it.