Afghanistan Troop withdrawal

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
Watching the BBC news, and Afghanistan, and my instinct is to stay away. Leave them alone. Let them get on with it. I don't relate to their country, or their people, or their issues.

I think it's difficult for people to watch fellow humans, many of which are women, get the treatment that the Taliban gave/give.
To be able to act and intervene, but decide not to... I don't know.

Then I read this...

pnesaint

Manager
Why are you so mad? What makes you think these young talented females won't add value to our country?

I'm mad because they simply shouldn't be here. If they are in danger all they have to do is walk across the border into Pakistan and they would be safe. Not only that they would be in a country that is very similar i.e., same religion, similar language, etc. But no, they want to come several thousand miles to a quite alien country just because they can sponge off our benefits system to which they have contributed nothing. Notice how these people never want to be taken to the Congo or Jordan or Nicaragua - that's because there is nobody to scrounge off in places like that.

Take a good look at what is happening on the Polish-White Russia border. If the Poles can't hold the line, and I doubt they can, then those people will be coming to a street near you - very soon. Yet more pressure on the housing stock, the school places, the NHS, etc.

As for 'adding value', I think we have enough Big Issue sellers don't you?

The question shouldn't be why are you so mad but why are you not?

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I'm mad because they simply shouldn't be here. If they are in danger all they have to do is walk across the border into Pakistan and they would be safe. Not only that they would be in a country that is very similar i.e., same religion, similar language, etc. But no, they want to come several thousand miles to a quite alien country just because they can sponge off our benefits system to which they have contributed nothing. Notice how these people never want to be taken to the Congo or Jordan or Nicaragua - that's because there is nobody to scrounge off in places like that.

Take a good look at what is happening on the Polish-White Russia border. If the Poles can't hold the line, and I doubt they can, then those people will be coming to a street near you - very soon. Yet more pressure on the housing stock, the school places, the NHS, etc.

We have some responsibility to the Afghans, we invaded their country and I doubt these girls are here to scrounge.

By the way they were already in Pakistan but that's another matter, Khardashian trying to make the headlines again no doubt.

Portishead

Manager

What a bummer. We vote for Brexit so we can send the Poles home, and now we're being overrun by non EU nationals. Meanwhile, you cant get a builder for love nor money.

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
If they are in danger all they have to do is walk across the border into Pakistan and they would be safe.

They do. In fact around 1.5 million Afghans fled to Pakistan, with just under 800,000 fleeing to Iran.

But no, they want to come several thousand miles to a quite alien country just because they can sponge off our benefits system

Our way of life is one of the best in the world, our healthcare, our benefits, our freedoms, our infrastructure. If your wife was being beaten for walking alone or your roof was being blown in by bombs, you'd want to come to the UK too. It's like Heaven on Earth for these people, if Preston was God's own Heaven on Earth, why would you settle for Burnley?

Notice how these people never want to be taken to the Congo or Jordan or Nicaragua

Jordan already take in a lot of refugees, in fact they have 78,000 in just one camp. So, people do sort of 'scrounge' off Jordan. As for the other countries, you said it yourself, why would they want to come several miles to a quite alien country? Some refugees have no idea where Nicaragua are, ask the average person on the street here to point out where Nicaragua is and I'm sure some will get it wrong. Congo? Which one, the one which is still in civil war, that one sounds appealing.

See, I'm proud to be British because our country, despite its issues, is an amazing country and who wouldn't want to live in an amazing country? It doesn't make me mad that someone fleeing a crap life would want a better one, although yes, I get it that there are closer countries. Yes I get it that we're a very small place compared to other countries, but as I say, Pakistan, Iran and Uzbekistan are baring the brunt.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
They do. In fact around 1.5 million Afghans fled to Pakistan, with just under 800,000 fleeing to Iran.

Our way of life is one of the best in the world, our healthcare, our benefits, our freedoms, our infrastructure. If your wife was being beaten for walking alone or your roof was being blown in by bombs, you'd want to come to the UK too. It's like Heaven on Earth for these people, if Preston was God's own Heaven on Earth, why would you settle for Burnley?

Jordan already take in a lot of refugees, in fact they have 78,000 in just one camp. So, people do sort of 'scrounge' off Jordan. As for the other countries, you said it yourself, why would they want to come several miles to a quite alien country? Some refugees have no idea where Nicaragua are, ask the average person on the street here to point out where Nicaragua is and I'm sure some will get it wrong. Congo? Which one, the one which is still in civil war, that one sounds appealing.

See, I'm proud to be British because our country, despite its issues, is an amazing country and who wouldn't want to live in an amazing country? It doesn't make me mad that someone fleeing a crap life would want a better one, although yes, I get it that there are closer countries. Yes I get it that we're a very small place compared to other countries, but as I say, Pakistan, Iran and Uzbekistan are baring the brunt.
What I can’t get my head round is millions have fled, should they have stood their ground and destroyed the Taliban? If the USA and Britain had stayed and helped them. Could they have not got rid of them once and for all? They or is there something we are not being told?
Do the Taliban have some support from the surrounding countries?🤔

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
What I can’t get my head round is millions have fled, should they have stood their ground and destroyed the Taliban? If the USA and Britain had stayed and helped them. Could they have not got rid of them once and for all? They or is there something we are not being told?

That's because of how the media protray it. Kabul is one part of Afghanistan(around 10% in fact), the Taliban don't need support necessarily from other countries as lots of Afghans support the Taliban. You just don't get to see/hear from them very often

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron

As Jakehake said, I imagine some of the smaller villages or cities might actually support the Taliban. The focus usually is on Kabul, Herat and the place which I forget now, but Starmer dropped it into a PMQ I think.

There is however going to be countries supporting the Taliban, just as there are countries that support Hezbollah, Ansar Allah (a.k.a the Houthi Movement) in Yemen and dare I say Daesh and Al Shabab.
There are probably reasons why such organisations continue to exist despite it being fairly well easy to end them in the joint effort you mention, and I dare say some of those reasons are handy for allied forces to let continue.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
The Nato forces couldn't destroy the Taliban, many of them were based in Pakistan and only re-entered Afghanistan when the US agreed a deal with their leaders to pull out by September 11th. Many of the Taliban are international fighters from Saudi etc. It is basically made up of Islamists who live by Sharia Law. Not much different to Saudi Arabia and other Islamic States.

Afghanistan has had years of war and been invaded throughout their history by different forces, British, Russian, Persian, Mongol to name a few, they have periods of peace and are basically farmers, opium growers and make fine rugs and cashmere goods Generally a peaceful nation, until invaded.

Our attempt to enforce a democratic state failed because it was an alien concept, and the imposed government was corrupt and syphoned off the money invested in the country, a bit like the Tories. Afghanistan is made of tribes and warlords, that is how it as always been governed, I might be wrong on a lot of that information.

Last edited:

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
The Nato forces couldn't destroy the Taliban, many of them were based in Pakistan and only re-entered Afghanistan when the US agreed a deal with their leaders to pull out by September 11th. Many of the Taliban are international fighters from Saudi etc. It is basically made up of Islamists who live by Sharia Law. Not much different to Saudi Arabia and other Islamic States.

Afghanistan has had years of war and been invaded throughout their history by different forces, British, Russian, Persian, Mongol to name a few, they have periods of peace and are basically farmers, opium growers and make fine rugs and cashmere goods Generally a peaceful nation, until invaded.

Our attempt to enforce a democratic state failed because it was an alien concept, and the imposed government was corrupt and syphoned off the money invested in the country, a bit like the Tories. Afghanistan is made of tribes and warlords, that is how it as always been governed, I might be wrong on a lot of that information.
Think you might be right on all of it.

pnesaint

Manager
Yes.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
So some young female footballers come over here because attempting to play the game where they are from would possibly have led to their death and the rightie on here is disgusted beyond belief!

I now understand why I went towards the left of politics.

pnesaint

Manager
So some young female footballers come over here because attempting to play the game where they are from would possibly have led to their death and the rightie on here is disgusted beyond belief!

I now understand why I went towards the left of politics.
But they don't need to come here do they? Apparently they were already safe in Pakistan so they could kick a ball around as much as they wanted without Allah getting cross.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
But they don't need to come here do they? Apparently they were already safe in Pakistan so they could kick a ball around as much as they wanted without Allah getting cross.
Their visas were business visas which expire after 30 days.

Don't see a problem with them coming here at all.... Okay, I accept that they were privileged compared to some of the poor souls that are left behind but I'm pretty bloody sure they will realise that....Hope they all thrive. Happy stories from Afghanistan are few and far between...