PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Afghanistan Troop withdrawal

Which is why I asked the question earlier in the thread, should we try and help? Talking, asking or persuading the Taliban to change their ways and not hang gays, chop women’s heads off for “adultery”, ban women from society etc, will never work. Any westerner complaining about us being in Afghanistan cannot deny the good that was done to eradicate all that.

Unfortunately ( as we are seeing the early signs of ) it wasn't eradicated and only put on hold............ Should we try and help?... We did for 20 years and shortly it will be back to square one... We ( the West) should try and negotiate, reason and perhaps push stringent sanctions but will it work? Doubt it. Horrible thing to say and I'm far from comfortable with it Snickers but we need to walk away because the only other alternative is military intervention and the cycle of death begins again....... Nope, not for me.

Unfortunately ( as we are seeing the early signs of ) it wasn't eradicated and only put on hold............ Should we try and help?... We did for 20 years and shortly it will be back to square one... We ( the West) should try and negotiate, reason and perhaps push stringent sanctions but will it work? Doubt it. Horrible thing to say and I'm far from comfortable with it Snickers but we need to walk away because the only other alternative is military intervention and the cycle of death begins again....... Nope, not for me.

Non intervention and passivity is a comfortable position for a country that currently is relatively wealthy even if its badly distributed. When China, Russia and AN Other step into the vacuum and acquire all the critical resources through the type of soft and hard power we've forsaken, and impoverish us, it might not look so clever.

Non intervention and passivity is a comfortable position for a country that currently is relatively wealthy even if its badly distributed. When China, Russia and AN Other step into the vacuum and acquire all the critical resources through the type of soft and hard power we've forsaken, and impoverish us, it might not look so clever.

I think I understand what you are saying but I hope I'm wrong and you can explain............ We've walked away from a goldmine of mineral wealth / armaments?

You didn't really mean that did you? The people and way of life don't matter?

I think I understand what you are saying but I hope I'm wrong and you can explain............ We've walked away from a goldmine of mineral wealth / armaments?

You didn't really mean that did you? The people and way of life don't matter?

Afghanistan is a symbol of a new mindset that we dont need to project abroad and exert international influence and can go it alone. We're riding on Trumps old coat tails. But US has far more economic strength to sustain this policy for a while. We're isolated and frankly we've no long term foreign policy or economic strategy if we're relying on self sufficiency or China's future benevolence. Wait till they switch off Hinckley point. I think youre relying too much on the old ' oh it'lll all be all right in the end. It always has been' before.'

Afghanistan is a symbol of a new mindset that we dont need to project abroad and exert international influence and can go it alone. We're riding on Trumps old coat tails. But US has far more economic strength to sustain this policy for a while. We're isolated and frankly we've no long term foreign policy or economic strategy if we're relying on self sufficiency or China's future benevolence. Wait till they switch off Hinckley point. I think youre relying too much on the old ' oh it'lll all be all right in the end. It always has been' before.'

Im lost here.What are you driving at ? Janet and John version for us thickos please so I don't have to work out the cryptic stuff.... ie.. Kindly Be blunt :)

Im lost here.What are you driving at ? Janet and John version for us thickos please so I don't have to work out the cryptic stuff.... ie.. Kindly Be blunt :)

Im concentrating now on Ashton Gate. Ill come back But its not that difficult. We're becoming isolationist voluntarily. Chine is actively taking control over the worlds key economic resources and we are becoming reliant on their investment for our energy. We are sleepwalking into a dependency on a hostile nation. Afghanistan is a symptom of this shift. And it has as well key resources that China will mine and appropriate in return for security.

Im concentrating now on Ashton Gate. Ill come back But its not that difficult. We're becoming isolationist voluntarily. Chine is actively taking control over the worlds key economic resources and we are becoming reliant on their investment for our energy. We are sleepwalking into a dependency on a hostile nation. Afghanistan is a symptom of this shift. And it has as well key resources that China will mine and appropriate in return for security.

Yes I know.......... I doubt we are sleepwalking into it though.. Lots of wonga to be made but not for me and thee......With you now. So we should have colonised Afghanistan and robbed all their goodies like we used to before someone else got in ?

Either. You can’t get your own elbow close enough to your nose.

I can, I can put my leg behind my head too, it's one of my party tricks, that and suspending myself off the floor in a lotus position using my arms. They call that Utthita Padmasana in Yoga apparently 😂

Yes I know.......... I doubt we are sleepwalking into it though.. Lots of wonga to be made but not for me and thee......With you now. So we should have colonised Afghanistan and robbed all their goodies like we used to before someone else got in ?

We could always have maintained a presence without 'robbing' them. Theyre not mutually exclusive. Instead, others will 'rob' them and hold us over a barrel in the future. We could sit back and feel self satisfied at our good nature and liberalism or we could recognise the world as it regrettably is and influence events. Since you persist in erroneously labelling me anti -brexit on other threads, Im emboldened to label you a woolly liberal with fanciful pacifist ideals that are leading us to penury.

We could always have maintained a presence without 'robbing' them. Theyre not mutually exclusive. Instead, others will 'rob' them and hold us over a barrel in the future. We could sit back and feel self satisfied at our good nature and liberalism or we could recognise the world as it regrettably is and influence events. Since you persist in erroneously labelling me anti -brexit on other threads, Im emboldened to label you a woolly liberal with fanciful pacifist ideals that are leading us to penury.

I've been called a lot of things in my time but that ones a first.. Good one.. :D