PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan Browne contract renewed for 3½ years (confirmed)

Wouldve been ecstatic about this 2 years ago, just hasnt quite been able to maintain the form he showed initially under AN for the last 2 years.

Hopefully he can return to previous form in the 10, but if he carries on the form he has shown almost all of this season and last, this could be a huge overpayment on our behalf

I don’t think keeping your best players is overpayment. No he hasn’t been brilliant this season or last but as you say his best form has been in the ten. And this is the opportunity now to sack DJ off (he obviously doesn’t want to be here) and get Browne back in the position where he has excelled.

He’s essential to this team and as somebody else mentioned if he stays till the end of his contract he would have been here for over ten years.

You forget that Browney was some player a couple of years ago. Every time we scored, you half expected to see his name on the ticker tape. He was in such good form that people were genuine in their claims that he could maybe move up a division.

I bloody hope we see those kind of performances return.

As I wrote a few months back:

Captain at 25
In his prime
Proven Championship quality
Scores goals
Maximum versatility
Well over 200 appearances for the club already
Settled in the area

Breaking the usual contract ceiling for someone fitting that criteria is a no brainer in my view. Would cost significantly more to adequately replace.

He’ll be almost 29 when his new contract expires so there’s a very real chance he could play his whole career with us. Be shocked if he doesn’t become our record appearance holder

Time to get him back in the number 10 position and scoring screamers. Molumby and Whiteman behind him for balance

You forget that Browney was some player a couple of years ago. Every time we scored, you half expected to see his name on the ticker tape. He was in such good form that people were genuine in their claims that he could maybe move up a division.

I bloody hope we see those kind of performances return.
Ticker tape? What century are you living in?

Overall good.

Interesting to see where Browne ends up playing for much of this new contract. Wouldn't shock me if he's pushed back into the number 10 role for rest of the season if DJ moves on which looks likely this window and given the profile of midfielders being signed in this window.

As I wrote a few months back:

Captain at 25
In his prime
Proven Championship quality
Scores goals
Maximum versatility
Well over 200 appearances for the club already
Settled in the area

Breaking the usual contract ceiling for someone fitting that criteria is a no brainer in my view. Would cost significantly more to adequately replace.
He really is some player. I genuinely think he is our best finisher at the club and I generally prefer him over DJ in the 10 where I think the creativity problems people said we had came from the wings and behind him rather than him himself. Get the lad back there and Molumby/Ledson/Whiteman behind him.

Has his detractors, and he hasn't been great this season, but he remains an important member of the squad

^^^This^^^

Great summary. Gets dogs abuse on here at times & quite rightly so as he can be woefully inconsistent but he isn't helped by getting shoved at FB when everyone can see he's just not comfortable there against better opposition.

That said played in the right position he is one of most important players & 100% deserves his new deal.

Hopefully that might encourage the other 3 but I won't be holding my breath.

Great news that he has agreed a new contract, let's get him playing in the number 10 role, I'm sure he would soon get back to playing to the best of his ability and scoring great goals.
If Whiteman is announced, then with Molumby and Ledson we will have plenty of options to build a youthful and attacking midfield.

Absolutely chuffed with this.
Of the five ooc lads we’ve all been talking about, getting AB signed up was the most important IMHO.
Others might have more talent in certain areas, but Browney can do everything brilliantly.
He’s also a credit to the club and rightful heir to the Gally/Hunts leadership role.
A club legend in the making. 🤍

Absolutely chuffed with this.
Of the five ooc lads we’ve all been talking about, getting AB signed up was the most important IMHO.
Others might have more talent in certain areas, but Browney can do everything brilliantly.
He’s also a credit to the club and rightful heir to the Gally/Hunts leadership role.
A club legend in the making. 🤍
They've begun referring to him as captain etc a bit more too. Likely that enhanced status as well as money was one of the things that has persuaded him to stay.