PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan Browne incident with supporters.

To be fair to myself, I didn't specify at what level.

If he was let go he'd get a new club in a matter of days at this level. He's been shite for months but he's played 200 games in the Championship and is a full international.

He was arguably the best 10 in the league a couple of seasons back.

Still much better than Ledson in the holding role
He hasn’t been anywhere near that level for months.

Shouldn’t even be in the team never mind captain.

I’ve taken plenty of stick for pointing out that he hasn’t been good for 24 months.

Just obvious watching him in the flesh he’s still a cut above the rest of our rabble

There was two guys shouting at him at the end of the game. One shouting 'get them going Alan' to try and encourage the rest of the team.
Another was hurling abuse at him which Alan told him to "F*** off"

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about getting a message across to a player and that was an example of it.
Was the fan right to hurl abuse? - No
Was Alan Browne right to shout F off back? - No

We've got enough troubles as it is at the club currently so lets not make this another one.
Move on

When in a team full of average players Brown has shown his level - average. Same with DJ although DJ can raise his game more. Problem here is the have both been given contract in desperation and they can't live up to it. Shame because it has sapped our resources that could have gone to new signings.

I am in two minds over this.

1) Browne is a professional and a captain and, unfortunately, receiving criticism (not abuse!) comes with the profession and he should not be reacting

2) He is most likely as frustrated and pissed off at the club as we are. Best players and colleagues sold for pennies and not replaced which ultimately effects his chance to play at a higher level

I wasn’t at the game last night but for anyone that was:

was their a genuine lack of effort from the team or was it lack of quality?

The answer to that question determines who the frustrations should be aimed towards

1) Browne is a professional and a captain and, unfortunately, receiving criticism (not abuse!) comes with the profession and he should not be reacting

2) He is most likely as frustrated and pissed off at the club as we are. Best players and colleagues sold for pennies and not replaced which ultimately effects his chance to challenge at the top end of the table.

The answer to that question determines who the frustrations should be aimed towards

Lack of quality, but some can be a lot better, Browne included, I wouldn't mind if were a bit nasty and mouthed off, show some passion, but we don't.

Should Browne be captain? -probably not but then there are few real alternatives in the squad.
is he as good as he was? - no - but then the team around him are far worse than he’s played with in the past. Messi would struggle in this team!
Is he better than most of the alternatives we have? - absolutely.
Should he have told a fan to fuck off? No, but no one knows what was said to him - I’m pretty sure he wasn’t telling the whole travelling support to fuck off. As an aside, I did once hear a nice chap on the Town End refer to AB as a Fenian c@&t! after finishing a rendition of his favourite anti IRA song!

Lack of quality, but some can be a lot better, Browne included, I wouldn't mind if were a bit nasty and mouthed off, show some passion, but we don't.
Not sticking up for Browne in the slightest but imagine being a proven championship player playing with the shite we have assembled. Wouldnt take long to drop down to that level.

i appreciate what you are saying though… time to roll up your sleeves and be counted for

I don't think players should tell fans to fuck off, regardless of what the fans are saying to them after appalling performances. You just take it and try to prove them wrong. You obviously think it's justifiable from a captain. A very weird viewpoint.

As for your last statement, if Iversen, Sepp or Barky did it, I would want them to apologise for it too. Just because I think Browne is terrible (and as I I've said, the statistics back that up) doesn't mean I am wrong.
Not as weird as thinking fans have the right to hurl abuse at players.

Unprofessional. He needs to apologise today otherwise it'd be too late and will look forced/disingenuous.
He should be dropped, or moved to right wing back if Frankie insists on playing a 3-5-2 and then move Sepp to centre back on that right-hand side. To me, he just doesn't seem to offer as much in midfielder as others do.

2) He is most likely as frustrated and pissed off at the club as we are. Best players and colleagues sold for pennies and not replaced which ultimately effects his chance to play at a higher level

He should lead by example but I don’t think he has it in him. Lack of desire to really want it, no aggression apart from Ched and maybe Potts, just pushovers all over the pitch.

Browne strolls over to close players down, doesn’t direct anyone else to get tight. The fans end up shouting for the players to push up or block a cross, it’s really poor.

I see some are now having a go at Browne for walking over to the supporters clapping.
'The nerve", "the audacity".
I guarantee those same individuals would be kicking off if he'd walked straight off the pitch without attempting to acknowledge them.
I can just see it - "shit performances, shit result and he can't even be arsed to acknowledge the fans who have come out on a horrible Tuesday night...........outrageous......"
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Split opinions over the insults flying around between Browne and supporters. Ok, I get that but personally, I'd rather a player acknowledge the support after a shit show instead of getting off the pitch and down the tunnel as quick as possible.
I see some are now having a go at Browne for walking over to the supporters clapping.
'The nerve", "the audacity".
I guarantee those same individuals would be kicking off if he'd walked straight off the pitch without attempting to acknowledge them.
I can just see it - "shit performances, shit result and he can't even be arsed to acknowledge the fans who have come out on a horrible Tuesday night...........outrageous......"
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Split opinions over the insults flying around between Browne and supporters. Ok, I get that but personally, I'd rather a player acknowledge the support after a shit show instead of getting off the pitch and down the tunnel as quick as possible.
No, he isn’t damned for clapping, he’s damned for swearing at fans who work hard to pay his wages! Key detail missed out.

Unprofessional. He needs to apologise today otherwise it'd be too late and will look forced/disingenuous.
He should be dropped, or moved to right wing back if Frankie insists on playing a 3-5-2 and then move Sepp to centre back on that right-hand side. To me, he just doesn't seem to offer as much in midfielder as others do.
All of our midfielders offer a combined jack shit

Browne is not bright is he. Sadly enough a lad who has always been average at best but always tried his best on basic wages fans could accept this. Now, due to stupid wage increase, he thinks he's better than he is, gone stale and demotivated can't play up to his new expectation - to improve. Same could be said about DJ. Mistake by management due to a club that has been going sideways - bit like our football. In a club like ours we need to buy sell improve get rid, use/keep youth(especially if a player is demanding more than they're worth💳💳

Based of barkys interview I’d make him captain in a heartbeat
But then by some twist of fate he doesn’t now seem to feature
My only concern would be the captaincy weighing him down. Just about our best player right now, we cant afford a dip in his form.